Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl13 game 6: Pengo [FINISHED]

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is my pengo game broken? :confused: I get exactly the same pattern every time I play it now :huh: Quit out of mame, reload pengo - same pattern. Restarted computer, same pattern :huh:

That's awesome - now you need only get really good at one pattern and you can clock some huge scores. :D I usually restart the game with each run because that way I at least always get the same pattern on level 1. My best score on level 1 so far is just over 14,000 in 33 seconds. After that it's all pretty random.

Here's my best total so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26665[/ATTACH]

I get exactly the same pattern every time I play it now :huh:

If you load the rom and start a game before the demo loop gets to an actual game screen then the first Act will have the same pattern. So if you load the rom and let the demo loop run for a while before starting a game you will get different patterns.

Berzerk is the same, except every screen is the same in the same order until you loose a life.

I had a great game, the last two levels the blocks were almost lined up. I got so excited I promptly died :lol

Score: 101520

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26671[/ATTACH]

:lol Did the same thing myself last night! Got to 110,000, got excited then died... then swore... then cried a bit.

Just installed my shiny new Mag Stick + joysticks in my upright so good things may happen! Just hope I have the time to get a few games in before cutoff!

If you load the rom and start a game before the demo loop gets to an actual game screen then the first Act will have the same pattern. So if you load the rom and let the demo loop run for a while before starting a game you will get different patterns.

Berzerk is the same, except every screen is the same in the same order until you loose a life.

Thanks for clearing that up. It stopped doing it later on and I thought I was losing my marbles :lol

• Administrators
I had a great game, the last two levels the blocks were almost lined up. I got so excited I promptly died :lol

Score: 101520

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26671[/ATTACH]

LOL I've done that sooo many times. Very frustrating.

Brad

Nice!

Had a crack on my upright last night, was doing well but then it all fell apart. During a moment of intense dodging my leg kicked out and sent an arcade stool flying across the room :lol Now it has a crack in it which is sad. First gaming related casualty.

• Administrators

LOL your just toying with the lead aren't you. 2 games and both times you beat the score. Your so good your not even practicing given the 3 std high scores sitting there :o

Brad

Hi Brad,

It's important everyone has fun and something to aim for in the MGL. Posting a massive score to start with ruins everyone elses motivation.

For example your 768,100 in Terra Cresta: Great score, well done, but no one else could beat 300,000.

These 80-85 games are the cream of the crop of ingenious, challenging and incredibly frustrating games to play. Note the broken stool earlier.

Pengo is definitely in the broken stool, smash the glass and terrible cursing category!

Nice!

Had a crack on my upright last night, was doing well but then it all fell apart. During a moment of intense dodging my leg kicked out and sent an arcade stool flying across the room :lol Now it has a crack in it which is sad. First gaming related casualty.

Hehe....I've had a couple - lost a 24" 1080p monitor to a gaming weekend... Broke the seat in my hyperdrive (pc racing chassis) when I had huge crash playing online and was getting a bit too excited.. smashed a wireless gamepad once in pure frustration.. it's collateral damage.

• Administrators
Hi Brad,

It's important everyone has fun and something to aim for in the MGL. Posting a massive score to start with ruins everyone elses motivation.

For example your 768,100 in Terra Cresta: Great score, well done, but no one else could beat 300,000.

These 80-85 games are the cream of the crop of ingenious, challenging and incredibly frustrating games to play. Note the broken stool earlier.

Pengo is definitely in the broken stool, smash the glass and terrible cursing category!

Definitely agree with you on that point for sure. I'm not upset just bemused. Given your first score I didn't for a second believe I'd retain the lead and given your second I'm not sure I'll invest further time with Mega Meat about to start YAY

Terra Cresta is unique for me in that its the only game I ever truly mastered...I did leave it a week before I posted a massive score though ;) You should have a look at the other games that have been played. Some monsters in there!

Brad

Brad I checked the MGL scores and they are very good.

But what is fun and important is that all types of characters can play these games, whether they get a high score or not, and just enjoy these great creative games.

Terra Cresta is a great game and I played it a lot in the arcades when it all happened!

The arcade was THE place to go back then, in the early 80s, the lights, sounds ......

Playing the Williams Blaster at 11pm at the arcade, on the duromould machine too (an extremely rare game), blasting the #$%^& out of the robots, cats, materminds, saucers etc.

The adrenalin rush using the thruster (the game control, not what your thinking!) through planetoids! Man that was great!

Or Sinistar late in the evening, the black dedicated cockpit (no not what your thinking!), the sounds, the fear of Sinistar, "I LIVE". Awesome!

Maybe we can organise an arcade event where these originals reside in Oz, we fly in cheap Virgin airlines,

pay the guy for using his machines by using $1 coins to play them and provide free food for the host,

and just enjoy the weekend!

Loved Jammas story of anguish, ie expressing passion on the machine.

Done it many times, especially in the old old days on the pinnies.

Bent them pinnie legs back to hell and back, and almost had the machine tip over on to the floor - embarassing!

Maybe we can organise an arcade event where these originals reside in Oz, we fly in cheap Virgin airlines,

pay the guy for using his machines by using $1 coins to play them and provide free food for the host,

and just enjoy the weekend!

I'd be all for an MGL meet :D though we of the MGL are far and wide, Perth to Tassie... something to ponder for the future though.

Sounds like you'd like an AA Mega Meet. The biggest one of the year is on this weekend In Brisbane, but there's quite a few meets in different states during the year, if you're keen checkout the meet threads.

Good to see some more big scores coming in too :cool:

Just realised I hadn't posted yet... after my previous PB on this game being a mere 83k, have been making 100k pretty consistantly over the last couple days - since installing the new Magstick Plus :) Really helps in a game like this with lots of short sharp changes of direction.

best effort so far: 119,220

Those Orange bees are tough.

12s my best level time, so I think Kane's with his 11s holds the 'fastest penguin' trophy so far.

Yep 12 seconds is my best time in recent efforts, did an 11 second round once but yet to match that. I find that you gotta get a good score in the early rounds or it's just too hard. Go for the diamonds or the time bonus? Hard choice sometimes.

Is it just me or is it once you lose the first man it's all downhill from there?

BTW Jammasized, I love your avatar pic, you got a link to a full size of that?