Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL13 Game 5: DONKEY KONG JR [FINISHED]

AZATHOTH turns the tables on Mario with his nomination,

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/dkjr-tourn.jpg

Donkey Kong Junior Description

The player controls a small monkey who must leap from platforms, climb vines, and avoid enemies to rescue Donkey Kong from Mario. The game has several distinct levels with similar goals. Fruit can be dropped on enemies leg traps and birds to kill them.

For more info, visit http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7612

ROM NAME: dkongjr.zip

DIP SWITCHES:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/dkjr-dips.gif

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

Donkey Kong JR comp closes 7PM July 24th.

GOOD LUCK!

LEADERBOARD:

kane: 171,700

Spartan: 115,000

Pelly: 99,600

Brad: 85,500

Pajammasized: 67,300

Wangtitlatex: 62,100

Rat: 44,700

DKong: 40,500

Foot: 33,200

Mikie: 29,100

Azathoth: 22,600

John73: 13,100

Edited by Jed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a few games of this a few months ago, and I completely and utterly suck at it :cry

I'll try and fire it up in a sec and post my starting score shortly. I don't expect to finish in the top 5 of this one :laugh:

0001.png.7535d844670e208919e986358dabb5ca.png

Made it through screen 1. DK which I suck at - is dead easy compared to DK Jr :laugh:

Hey Jamma, any chance at doing a leaderboard update in the next min or two? I wanna be the current champ :D

Never played this in the arcade. Did play it on my Atari 800xl. It's been a long time since then and cant seem to remember the patterns apart from the first one and the key pattern. Anyway, heres my effort after my first few games. Have made it past the rope pattern second time around. Keep dying on the next pattern.

I predict that the existing MGL record (about 40k) will fall again over the next few days

Score:21000

0000.png.0796af4c89c3af4e55ba659a27b4586f.png

I have a DKJR cab here at home so I'm pretty well practiced, but I just can't handle the level 4+ difficulty for any length of time. My cab has the bootleg romset though which is a tad easier than this brutal US set.

Never played this one. Classic game though and some big scores to contend with - MAME record on TG is 1,161,100 - arcade is 1,307,500 (with Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe in the top 3) Any chance of joining their ranks Kane? Is your cab legit for an arcade score?

Think I might try my luck at this and skip Bomb Jack. Don't reckon I've got what it takes to compete with you guys there.

Any chance of joining their ranks Kane?

No. :lol

Is your cab legit for an arcade score?

My cab is just an aussie junker frankencab cocktail with a bootleg DKJR board, nothing even remotely legit. :)

No. :lol

My cab is just an aussie junker frankencab cocktail with a bootleg DKJR board, nothing even remotely legit. :)

Based on previous MGL Nintendo nominations from Kane I think he may well be the man to beat on this one :) Though so far, MGL rookies have been making their presence felt this tourney in a big way, which is great to see :cool:

Rookie about sums it up when it comes to this game for me :-/ Here is my first feeble attempt...

I think once i get the hang of how low birds are going to drop when they turn then it will make life a lot easier... Also I know it is early days, but how the hell do you get a big jump off the spring?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26119[/ATTACH]

Rookie about sums it up when it comes to this game for me :-/ Here is my first feeble attempt...

I think once i get the hang of how low birds are going to drop when they turn then it will make life a lot easier... Also I know it is early days, but how the hell do you get a big jump off the spring?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26119[/ATTACH]

Its all about timing, hit the jump button again when spring is at its lowest.

My 2nd day effort below - 31,700. 2nd key/lock stage is a nightmare. Birds fly right to the bottom.

31700.png.2ad30eac38a3ac48279b5e63e808648c.png

finally a game that im not getting kane'd by everyone :lol

have to try for level 3 later this week but that lock stage sure is mean on level 2

seems you need a bit of luck with those red snapjaws I got surrounded by three and a bird

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

and well done john ;) !

****ing frustrating game!

Agree on the frustrating game, was having trouble with the keys, then the big spring jump.

Time and time again, had one good game out of about 20. Will have to practice more, would like to get better at this game.

0008.png.3582cbae8be04a5fae8694ba7f841edb.png

Finally got past the second key stage.

New Score - 45,200

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26187[/ATTACH]

Yeah, that stage is killing me. Last night got there twice with all lives in tact and a good score on the board but got destroyed by those bloody birds!!!