Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Bill Gates: How he got the big stuff right & open letter to hobbyists about software

I read this article the other day and found it quite interesting. Included in the article was a link to Bill Gates open letter to hobbyists back in 1976 about his contempt hobbyists' for the sharing of software and his memo to Microsoft employees called "The Internet Tidal Wave".

Click here for the article and there is a link there to the open letter in full and a pdf file of the internal memo.

Cheers,

Dan

• Super Moderator

Bloody whinging about software pirates in 76?

If you swapped a few choice words like BASIC with Pin 2000 code I'd swear the letter was from some particular Pinball dealer

Where Bill Gates got it right was to realise an opportunity to make cash and buying software and rebadging it as his own to sell to the market .

Some people think he is the coder from heaven , I personally think he is just someone who knew where he could make a dollar and was very aggressive in doing so .

Where Bill Gates got it right was to realise an opportunity to make cash and buying software and rebadging it as his own to sell to the market ..

not only that, but make sure you practically have the monopoly on the market as well, and release updates regularly and keep the upgrade cycle running so repeat lemmings keep forking out their cash year in and year out for bloated upgrades;)

Well Bill's deals with the OEM's did the deed in getting a monopoly . It became windows or die in the market and has stayed that way for a long time .

Now with new devices in tablets and smart phones some competition is rising and getting noticed although I think the Windows ports to ARM cpu and subsequent smart phones and tablets will restore world order as Windows enables all these devices to work nicely with each other while purposefully locking out anyone else.