Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Vibratory Tumbler

I noticed that there is a fair amount of interest in Vibratory Tumblers, and I thought I might inform anyone that is looking to buy a Tumbler to seriously look into purchasing one. I probably restore three pinballs a year - total rebuilds, so the idea of stripping and cleaning every metal part can be time consuming.

I bought a "Graf" Tumbler from a Gunshop on eBay (do a search for "Vibratory Tumbler"). It is a re badged Berry Tumbler. These can be seen on http://www.pinrestore.com. At the same time I bought some Corn Cob media and had it delivered from Adelaide for $176.

I use a few drops of Brasso, throw in everything (screws, rollover switches, brackets, leg bolts - basically everything metal that can fit), and leave for 24 hours.

Most parts look like new when removed. Don't throw in things like tilt bombs !

I would strongly recommend purchasing a Vibratory Tumber, if you can justify the price and it gets used often enough. It saves time and effort.

There are heaps of other brands out there - The Lyman on sale on this forum is an excellent Tumbler. Our counterparts in the States swear by them.

If anyone wants me to "tumble" some stuff for them as a test - Bring it over and test out my Tumbler !!!

I reckon my Tumbler is the best "investment" I've made into the Hobby. Easily the best tool in the Shed (or garage in my case) !

Tumble on !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi every one at aussie arcade as this is my first post

Just a ? about these Vibratory Tumblers, what size metal parts fit into these

are thay only for small parts can they be used for metal ramps

Welcome morrieman !

The largest part I put into the tumbler were bumper brackets. I fit six in comfortably, but the more you put in, the more noise the tumbler makes.

I have not tried any ramps as yet, but unless they are small, I wouldn't advise it !

I'm still experimenting with the size of the load, the amount of media, and the amount of brasso. Everything I've put into the tumbler has been polished up very well.

thanks for the tip Strangeways...now I'm looking for a tumbler!

No worries !

Here is where I bought mine ;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vibratory-Tumbler-for-cleaning-rifle-handgun-brass-NEW_W0QQitemZ330072252617QQihZ014QQcategoryZ383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as mentioned in a previous topic / post, communication with this seller is poor, and shipping from Adelaide to Melbourne was 10 working days.

I bought corncob media at the same time. I didn't wait for the corncob media auction to end, I just bought it at the starting bid. All up, including shipping and corncob media, I paid $176.

Well worth it ! I can spend quality time with the family while tumbling the metal parts on the current project(s) !

Strangeways you posted a link to another tumbler, is that the same one you bought and would you recommend me buying this?

What is the corncob media? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark,

This IS the tumbler I bought. It is a GRAF tumbler, which I'm told is a Berry Tumbler. The box it arrived in had the BERRY logo on it.

You will need either corncob or walnut media. Do a search on this board and you will find that depending on where you are located, you can find other types of media.

I bought standard corncob media from the same seller. It was a 10 pound bag. I used just under half for my first attempt, and it did every single steel part and screw in one pinball before the media started to go black.

Here's a tip - CLEAN all parts before tumbling. Wash whatever you can. This will prevent the tumbler from cleaning the parts. The job of a tumbler is to polish parts, not clean them. I use a brush and nifti to clean all parts, let them dry in the sun, and then pop them in the tumbler.

The only problem I found is that you need to clean the small pieces of corncob from the heads of screw etc... pain, but it's worth the effort.

I would recommend the GRAF tumbler. The bidding starts at $99, and I got mine for $132. I was outbid, but I received a second chance. I then emailed the seller, asking if I could buy the corncob media without going through the auction process. That way, I could take advantage of the $2.00 shipping price for 2 or more items (read the fine print on the auction).

The only issue I had was the pathetic communication skills from the seller. First he blamed Aussie Post, and then he blamed his ISP, and then his email server got a virus. Might be worth protecting yourself by selecting an insured postage method.

I would recommend the tumbler. Buy media at the same time (corncob), and use a capfull of brasso and wait 8 hours before you see the results. I left some items in the tumbler for 24 hours.

If you like, send me some parts, and I'll tumble them for you ! Then you can decide !

:)

This is where my tumbler is supposed to come from, if it ever arrives.

I've had all the excuses previously mentioned. His feedback reflects other people who have experienced the same issues.

Must be a Pantene job, so I'll have to wait.

This is where my tumbler is supposed to come from, if it ever arrives.

I've had all the excuses previously mentioned. His feedback reflects other people who have experienced the same issues.

Must be a Pantene job, so I'll have to wait.

It will arrive. I actually lodged a dispute because he was not returning emails or eBay messages. I copied and pasted the emails into the dispute, and finally he responded. First he said he contacted Aussie Post and they admitted fault, and then he blamed his ISP for his spam filter problems.

Don't be too concerned, it will arrive and it will be worth the wait.

:)

Don't forget to check your local Gun Shops, they often have sales and you may save some money on postage (these things are quite bulky)

Also for really dirty stuff people often mention Walnut Media, for bullet brass concob is used more to polish but then again if you are adding Brasso etc then it is just the time it takes to tumble I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I may have to log a dispute as well then.

I've also heard of people using some Novus 2 in with the media as a polishing compound.

I wonder if Brasso would turn the media black quicker? You when you polish something with Brasso or Silvo, the rag turns black real quick?

I'll try the Novus first, and let you know if it lasts for a decent time.

• Super Moderator
Hi every one at aussie arcade as this is my first post

Just a ? about these Vibratory Tumblers, what size metal parts fit into these

are thay only for small parts can they be used for metal ramps

Gday morrie good to see another west aussie here .Gunmart in midland have them on the shelf have alook at them

Thanks for the advice. I may have to log a dispute as well then.

I've also heard of people using some Novus 2 in with the media as a polishing compound.

I wonder if Brasso would turn the media black quicker? You when you polish something with Brasso or Silvo, the rag turns black real quick?

I'll try the Novus first, and let you know if it lasts for a decent time.

Hate to say it, but after I lodged a dispute, the seller magically communicated again, after 6 days of silence. What annoyed me the most was the fact he had time to post positive feedback on 50 - 60 other eBay sales....But no time to respond to emails.

On a positive note - You will get the tumbler !

I would love to know how Novus 2 works with the tumbler. I used about a third of the 10lb corncob media and 2 teaspoons of brasso for one entire pinball machine. I also experimented with old balls and legbolts. I think the brasso does darken the media, degrading the polishing performance. I've never used Novus 2 for polishing metal, so I'll wait for you results !

what a shame, I was hoping to have a crack at the tumbler finishing in a couple of days.

Yeah what is the black that comes off when using Brasso? Is it the tarnish from the metal?

Patience !

There's a new tumbler every 8 -10 days.

:D

• 1 month later...

Ok, finally got my tumbler. The seller is such a tool. I had exactly the same issues, where he wouldn't respond to my emails, setting up an auto reply stating he had email difficulties. Yet, Ebay has a message function, which I used, but still no replies. And, he had time to respond to everyone else. I lodged a dispute and finally got it.

So, I've tried it out with Novus 2 with good results. No darkening of the media at all, and the parts came up whistle clean and polished. Certainly saves a shitload of time!!!

Highly recommended if you do up at least a couple of pinballs per year, and for anything else around the house that needs cleaning up. I buy new shells for the rifle because I can't be bothered reloading the old ones, so I use it for everything but what it was intended for!

what type of media do you use? I bought that corncob media and everything comes out a red colour now which is difficult to clean off. I have so far only used it on a shooter housing and various screws etc. I haven't added anything to the corncob media yet like a polish or anything. Would you recommend adding Novus 2 or brasso and if so how much?

Thanks,

Mark.

Corn Media usually has a polishing additive included. Usually you would add Novus or similar if using Walnut Shell Media which is more coarse a media.

The guy on eBay sells the GRAF Brand Tumbler which is virtually identical to the BERRY Brand Tumbler which is sold through Pin Restore in the US. I have provided a link below.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tumblers.html

Shaggy and Norm :023: from the "This Old Pinball" TOP Repair Videos and Pinball Repair site guides have a good article on polishing with a tumbler. TOP #1 Video has the polishing segment and below is a link where Shaggy explains Tumbling (you got to scrowl down a little to Part 1c.

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#rock

Cheers,

Dan :cool:

Hi Guys,

I though I might chime in on this topic as I have some experience.

Wet tumblers are used extensively in the Jewellery trade for polishing Chains, charms or any item not worthy of, or too difficult to hand polish. Sometimes things are tumble polished to get into tight spaces, then hand polished with a mop on a buff. The media in the tumbler is stainless steel shot, and from memory costs about $100/kg. there are different guages for the shot, whith the finer the guage getting into smaller orrifices. there is a detergent or soap we add to the water in the tumbler, after the process is finish the resulting soapy water is very dirty, and discarded. It is important when using the tumbler wet, that the shot is constantly immersed in water, even when not in use, to exclude air or it will oxidise. You can run the tumbler with soap and water to clean the shot.

there are two places in Sydney to purchase the detergent for the tumbler and a tumbler.

Jewellery tools and boxes in Rockdale.

House Of Jewellery in the City.

I hope this helps.

Wayne.

• 3 weeks later...

My GRAF Tumbler arrived a day or so ago. It took just over two weeks from close of the eBay auction and payment to arrive, from the guy in South Australia. It comes with a Declaration of Conformity from BERRY Manufacturing stating that it has been modified for 220Volts and comes fitted with an Australian plug. Too easy, now to test it out.

Oh, and by the way, I paid through Paypal and knew it would eventually arrive. Wasn't in that much of a hurry for it to arrive, as I was happy to be able to get one local, well interstate, than from overseas. Some things just take a little longer.

Cheers,

Dan :cool:

I got my tumbler a few weeks ago and not really happy to be honest. I bought corncob media (without much research) and it actually makes things worse I reckon. Everything comes out red which is then difficult to clean off so I still have to go back to the ole brasso and cloth to do by hand. Is corncob the wrond media to be using? Should I be using walnut and adding some novis? I probably should have read up on it a bit more before jumping in.

yes it is corncob I am positive (can't check atm though). I read that corncob already has a polish in it so not to add anything additional to it.

Treated Corncob does not require any polishing media. I have never used it.

Untreated corncob is what I use, with 2 teaspoons of Brasso. I threw in the Playfield Metal from my Pro Football and with four hours, everything looks new. It's still going in the background.

I'd say the red tinge is because you are using treated corncob :unsure