Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

I don't know the official or technical reason, but as a youngster with many an 8-bit/16-bit cartridge based console system, I always assumed it was to prevent one from buying games cheaper internationally.

Same deal re movies, it sucks that they are regionalised. I used to assume it was to deter piracy, but then they introduced synchronised worldwide releases of movies to prevent people from a region that got the movie first from pirating it and sending it abroad, so why do we still have regionalised movies?

So many needless inconveniences in life, now you've got me started...

Why does the world need different voltage standards and plugs for our electrical system? Imagine if there was one type of universal plug and the entire world operated on the same electrical standard.

Why is bacon bad for you? They can produce margarine that lowers my cholesterol but they can't clone a pig with healthy bacon?

yes, it was to allow companies to sell into different markets at different prices and basically control the market.

It was deemed illegal by the ACCC (I think?) in Australia and so all sellers of DVD's and DVD players at the time were scrambling to unlock their machines or face legal ramifications. I don't think any actual action was taken at the time by the ACCC as they simply put the industry on notice that they would take them to court if they didn't pull their heads in - and it seems they did.

It equally applies to games etc and if you have ANYTHING that is locked demand it be 'unlocked' as the seller will be in deep do-do if they do not or cannot.

As for different voltages and systems and frequencies you can blame the yanks for that one........they refused to run with (basically) Europe with PAL, 240V, 50Hz, 625 lines and pretty well EVERYTHING to do with any accepted norm. They will claim they invented things first and that's why it happened but that is simply not true. China followed Europe and so standards in China are the same as Australia in almost all areas.

Edited by Homepin
typos as usual

Also you have to remember that companies pay for the rights to distrubte product within a certain region and so region specific games/dvd/blu ray can also help those people maintain those rights, not specifically to stop individual sale but to prevent parralel importation.

If the region rights are devalued (through parralel importation) then the original artist or owning company gets paid less for their rights, so it is in the interests of those making the product to protect their rights incomes.

As for different voltages and systems and frequencies you can blame the yanks for that one........they refused to run with (basically) Europe with PAL, 240V, 50Hz, 625 lines and pretty well EVERYTHING to do with any accepted norm. They will claim they invented things first and that's why it happened but that is simply not true.

Yes they do tend to have their own version of history such as the invention of the light bulb, television, car etc..

Remarkably, the rest of the world acknowledges that John Logie Baird invented television but the Americans only recognise their own.

Unfortunately, other than the obvious mutilation of the English language, the internet is heavily influenced by American bias and history has changed and will change in their favour.