Thread: Minipin

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)

Minipin

I've probably been working on this on and off for about 8 months but haven't touched it in at least 4 months or so. I needed to do this on a tiny budget and essentially use what already had with minimal further outlay.

I'm determined to finish this bugger off over the next 4-8weeks though and what better incentive than to post about it on here thereby guilting me into a result LOL!

Playfield is a 22" widescreen monitor. Backglass is a 19" 4:3. I have left anough room for a 3rd for a DMD but funds won't allow this so I'll do without for now.

The overall design is a mix between a woodrail and a Williams but leaning towards more of a woodrail look.

The PC has been built for about 12 months with about 50pins divided between Visual Pinball and Future Pinball all running via Hyperpin frontend. It works fantastically and will come up a real treat in the cab.

I'm using donated legs rather than wood and will clean them up and possbily paint them. The cab will a look of an older machine and is inspired by this awesome reproduction linked here:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2749

I do want a small coin door however to give it a more authentic look. I'm lookin at making some sort of replica.

Things left to make are a custom made lockdown bar, speaker bezel, backglass bezel and to mount the PC inside the cab.

Parts left to purchase

a plunger or make one, side buttons and front buttons. I have some already but they are arcade and not pinball and I'm also looking at getting them backlit instead. I will also need glass cut for the playfield and backglass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

State
    Drouin VIC on the move ;)
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)
    Keep it going mate
    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

State
    Sydney NSW
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Love these things, will be watching this with great interest!

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've always wanted a pinball machine, but funds and room will always be the stumbling block.
    This may be the answer!
    I'll be watching with interest.

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    BTW, what are the specs on the pc and video card you are using in this one Brad?

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    Good progress being made there Brad - can't wait to see once you've got it all trimmed and painted.

Re the plunger, have you considered taking a stag at making your own? If you go for a retro style similar to the woodrail cab you linked to then the "beehive" type of plunger would look best:

You could make one by cutting a series of successively larger MDF discs using a hole saw, then sandwich them together, sand, paint and fit. Plunger rods are easy to come by and you just use a coin mech microswitch hooked up to the I-PAC for ball launch.

Quote Originally Posted by begee08 View Post
    BTW, what are the specs on the pc and video card you are using in this one Brad?
    Hey begee,

PC specs need to be pretty high for a virtual pin, especially if running the playfield at 1920x1080. I have a mini-pin and its a Core2Duo E6500 with 2Gb RAM and a GTS250 video card. I'm running a 2 monitor setup - the playfield is a 24" and the backbox is a 17" 4:3. I've got a good mix of both Visual and Future Pinball tables and nearly all of them run well. The exception is a few VP tables that stutter quite badly when they go into special feature modes and have a lot of lights etc flashing, but it makes them annoying rather than unplayable.

My mini-pin is for sale as I am in the process of making another, so if you're interested I can forward you a few pics and info. Let me know.......

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Chris,
    I thought it would be fairly resource hungry. Thanks for the info.
    Your machine sounds pretty speccy! I'm guessing it would be out of my budget unless it's the bargain of the century, thanks for the offer though.!!
    I'd love to see some pictures of it anyway.

Cheers, begee.

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by begee08 View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I thought it would be fairly resource hungry. Thanks for the info.
    Your machine sounds pretty speccy! I'm guessing it would be out of my budget unless it's the bargain of the century, thanks for the offer though.!!
    I'd love to see some pictures of it anyway.

Cheers, begee.
    Pics and details are in my build thread over at the HyperSpin forums here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7848

As far as price is concerned I'm pretty negotiable as the cabinet needs some cosmetic final touches that I felt it best for the new owner to do. My intention was to build this one just to see what was involved and then move on. I really only want to cover what it owes me, which is a bit less than $1k so it could be the bargain of the century.........

Anyway, have a look at that thread and if you are interested drop me an email and we can no doubt sort something out.

State
    Strathpine,Brisbane
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Hey Brad, it looks pretty good.

Any current pics of what it looks like now ?

In regards to securing the legs to the body - did you just put the bolts through another piece of wood in the corner, or did you buy a set of those legs brace things ive seen on other pins?

Where did you get the plans for your machine?

State
    Illawarra NSW Australia
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    This is awesome, I've been wanting to build one myself for years.

I have a 19" monitor, and may in future retire my 22" monitor for a greater cause like this. It actually looks bigger than I thought in your pictures.

One of the biggest things holding me back however was always the software. I found pinball software/tables/frontends so fiddly that it was never really 'approachable' for my kids, as it always required some tweaking to get it running. I'd be interested if your software configuration was able to be packaged up some how.
    My Projects

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information