Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Judge dredd left fire button problem

robm

Question

Have just done up a Judge Dredd, and everything is sweet except for a bizzare problem.

When the ball is directed into the left shooter lane from the Air Raid ramp, and it goes into missile launch mode, you are meant to hit the left fire button to launch the ball. Doesn't work.... BUT

The left fire button is fine in switch edges test AND during gameplay in that you can change the chain feature.

The left lane rollover switch is fine in test mode and gameplay when the ball rolls into the lane (except from the air raid), and the diode on the switch tests fine (disconnected one leg).

The solenoid that fires tests and works fine.

The clue i think is something to do with the rollover switch in the left lane, as in the switch edges test, when you press this switch, the deadworld motor and the crane motor both move for a half second (the left shooter lane solenoid also pulses ever so slightly (maybe 4-7mm of movement).

The other thing i noticed is during the solenoid test, if the coin door lockout switches aren't pressed in, every solenoid that should be firing (but doesn't due to door open) the motors turn a bit then as well as it cycles through the solenoids in the test, but when you hold the lockout switches in to fire the solenoids, the motors don't move (except during the appropriate tests)

I've seen some other suggestions that its something to do with the centre drop target, but the opto works fine, and they all reset fine as well.

Any help?

Thanks

Rob

15 answers to this question

Whoa this sounds funky.

First of all, in switch edges test, do you get multiple switch closures for any of the siwtches?

I'd say try to isolate the problem first. Unplug all the optic switches with the under playfield connectors, and see if the symptoms still stand. If not, you probably have a borked optocoupler on one of the opto boards. Also, check if all your connectors are installed onto the right headers under the playfield and on the driver board.

Once this has been eliminated as a possible cause, I'd go checking the switch matrix for shorts, especially with the lamp matrix or other low voltage sources, perhaps a ground short...

I know exactly what your talking about this the problem with the deadworld and crane moving for a split second and stopping over and over again. I just finished bring mine back from the dead and I'm now having that problem when going into certain test settings. I was going to start looking into it shortly but it wasn't cause major issues so I just left it for now. I'll be watching carefully and will help you out if I can from mine.

I know exactly what your talking about this the problem with the deadworld and crane moving for a split second and stopping over and over again. I just finished bring mine back from the dead and I'm now having that problem when going into certain test settings. I was going to start looking into it shortly but it wasn't cause major issues so I just left it for now. I'll be watching carefully and will help you out if I can from mine.

Great stuff - so i'm not alone with this bizzare issue! - Does your's do the same during gameplay when you go into the air raid sequence?

Rattanee - as far as i'm aware there are no multiple switch closures, and all the optos work - although i will do the tests when i next get to the machine.

For now my air raid sequence works fine. however my drop targets don't drop properly but that's a different issues that needs to be treated with replacement parts. Does the coil fire out the ball during game play if the ball goes in there? it would be strange if it fires then but not during "air raid".

Oh and with the coin door opening during testing it's because the high voltage is turned off. I had the same problem with my flashers for the same reason but my wiring had come loose and just needed some adjusting. It severs all the high voltage stuff. if the door isn't closed you won't be able to play a game cause the solenoids won't fire. Scared the crap out of when they stopped working.

The coil fires fine during normal gameplay - except for the air raid mode.

I read somewhere else that the problem can be related to the drops, but all my drops and associated switches test and work fine

Umm... It's been a while since I sold my Dredd, but... try using the right side fire button?

Another thing you might want to try, raise the playfield on the truss rod while in game, simulate the ball going into air raid, and see if it works that way. Could be something is touching the terminals of the switch when the playfield is lowered. (I had this happen, but in my case it was a coil oriented the wrong way, and it pretty much sent 50v straight down the switch matrix...)

Trying to revisit this one - see all details in the 1st post - another addition is that during multiball, balls load up in the left lane and won't fire out.

Recap - Essentially left fire does not work in Air riad mode - all switches and solenoids work fine in switch edges and normal gameplay (except Air Raid mode), the only exception is switch 61 (Globe position 1), but from what i understand, this is not needed as the game can use Globe position 2 switch (they both activate at exactly the same time - there are multiple slots in the opto interuppter).

It is definitely NOT a CPU or ROM issue as i have swapped both of these, have also swapped trough opto transmitter board - not that there was a problem anyway.

Also, the centre drop target bank optos work perfectly - even tested these after air raid mode started to make sure, as i read they can cause these symptoms.

Every other switch on the playfield works fine - no multiple closures - also tried raising the pf as rattanee suggested - no difference.

Help please!!!!!

Id be getting sw 61 working ..... have seen the simplest little things mess with a game before.

Even though the globe works on pos 2, game may need to see both.

I'll second that!

You seem to be running out of things to look at and if 61 isn't working you just never know that it may have something to do with it....it's at least worth a try

Am almost to the stage of giving up on this one, and just living with it. Sw 61 now works (dirty opto - but was a mongrel to get to), all switches work 100%, no double firing, left shooter solenoid works fine in test and normal game (not air raid), left shooter switch works fine in normal play (not air raid), not ROM, not CPU.....

Hi Robm,

A few years since your Post, but I too had the same issue lately. I'm not sure if you have fixed yours yet but my issue was that the "E" int the centre drop Targets "J""U""D""G""E", wasn't resetting correctly into position which wouldn't allow the left kicker fire as there wasn't a full set of drop targets.

I managed to rectify the "e" droptarget which now allows the left shooter to fire.

Hope this Helps

Buddyl71

Thanks mate. An old post for sure! That judge dredd got sold a few years back and to be honest I can't recall if or how I sorted it....

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Ok so I know how old this thread is, but having the same problem re left fire button. The switches all work fine in test mode (including left fire button, J-U-D-G-E drop target and right extra ball). All the wiring seems good to all of those switches. Have swapped board. However I still can't get my left fire button to work, either at the start of the game to launch the ball or in Air Raid mode. If anyone has any further suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Check the shooter lane switch with your finger, then (more importantly) check it with the ball.  

My first guess would be that the ball is not activating the switch and it needs minor adjustment.  

If correct, the game does not know there is a ball in the shooter lane.

You could try changing the resistor on the switch in case it has gone bad too.

Dave