Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 13 - Start Date Announcement and call for format suggestions

Just my opinion, but all this talk of different genres, shooters v platformers, year this, year that, not nominating a game thats been played before... blah blah is kinda turning me off MGL a tad:(

Just nominate games and then randomly play them. If Pac Man comes up again, then so be it....play it again. If you don't like Pac Man, don't play it!

I personally think, if you cant handle playing games listed on the 48 board and then some 100 similar classics, we have a problem. No offense, but Super Mario Bros is not really a Classic MGL game.

Yeah I agree WTV, I'm here to play the classics and hopefully be introduced to some lesser known games that I find I enjoy. There will always be a couple that don't suit me, but that's the luck of the draw.

I think most MGL players are happy with the format, but suggestions were called for, so that's what we get, and newer players will suggest things that have been dismissed in the past.

When you think about it most classics are either shooters or platformers, if you don't like golden age arcade shooters or platformers then your not really gunna enjoy MGL.

Most people put some thought into nominations so that they don't pick all the same genre, then the random selections sort out getting a variety of games to play. You will sometimes get two shooters or more in a row, and they might be two great ones.

I'm happy if nothing is changed since last time, but I do like the idea of two games running concurrently for two weeks, gives me more opportunity to play (sometimes I have a busy week and only get a couple of hours in on a game). Also if I enjoy one game more that the other I can focus on that one, or play the one I'm weaker at in the hope to improve and progress up the leader board. BUT I don't think they need to be "very different" just random picks from the noms as always. Everyone will have a view of how different they should be, and if they are different enough, it would be too much of a headache to implement.

Just my opinion, but all this talk of different genres, shooters v platformers, year this, year that, not nominating a game thats been played before... blah blah is kinda turning me off MGL a tad:(

Just nominate games and then randomly play them. If Pac Man comes up again, then so be it....play it again. If you don't like Pac Man, don't play it!

Ok then, over to then Andy - you run MGL13, and run it like you want to. Which is cool, I'll get to play without having to do all the admin side :) Actually this is a good idea, we can take it in turns eh ? Give the other guy a chance to play.

Some games take longer than a week to learn or even re-learn, especially longer platform games eg wonderboy, Ghosts n Goblins etc. this way players will have 2 weeks. I think most of us find it hard to get as many games in as we would like due to time restraints. I guess they don't have to be 'very different' but a shooter and a platformer might be better than 2 platformers?

Only problem I could see is if 2 really poor games both come up, that might scare ppl away from MGL pretty quick.

I'm happy enough if nothing changes but I do think some games need and deserve more than a few quick games & sometimes thats all ppl can find time for....

Sean

I know people want simpler and not more complicated but if each game gets two weeks, which i like, off set them so that there's still a game finishing and starting each week.

Week 1: Game 1 added

week 2: Game 2 added

Week 3: Game 1 ends and Game 3 added....

MGL would be 13 weeks but you'd always have two games being played and a game starting and finishing each week (apart from first and last weeks).

and ban the Veto :D.

I know people want simpler and not more complicated but if each game gets two weeks, which i like, off set them so that there's still a game finishing and starting each week.

Week 1: Game 1 added

week 2: Game 2 added

Week 3: Game 1 ends and Game 3 added....

MGL would be 13 weeks but you'd always have two games being played and a game starting and finishing each week (apart from first and last weeks).

and ban the Veto :D.

I like the staggered start and finish idea. It would also make the final week of play much easier to manage, as its usually close.

personally, am in two minds about the veto. Why dont we just say 'no fighting games in the mgl ' instead :)

Looks like 2 games per 2 weeks with a staggered format is the go. Thanks to SectionZ and Taverner for these very good ideas :cool:

Nominations to kick off this Sunday. 5 nominations per player. I'll start a new nominations thread on Sunday.

Open slather, nominate what you want, no veto, if you can play it in Mame then we'll give it a crack :)

MK I can deal with but to kick out Street Fighter 2 which happened a few back just seems wrong, it's up there with DK and Space Invaders for importance to arcade and creating it's own classic era in gaming.

The problem with fighting games is that they wern't designed to be played for score. I mean SF2 keeps the high score going even when you continue!

Basically, they are just not very good for score competitions like MGL.

BTW, I am a huge SF fan and play SSF2T on GGPO so I do love these games but I just don't think they suit this competition.

• Administrators
The problem with fighting games is that they wern't designed to be played for score. I mean SF2 keeps the high score going even when you continue!

Basically, they are just not very good for score competitions like MGL.

BTW, I am a huge SF fan and play SSF2T on GGPO so I do love these games but I just don't think they suit this competition.

Spot on.

Brad

How is that an issue? With save states it has to be all on the honour system anyway and we've happily played games that dont even save high scores. I wouldn't want to see a lot of them because lets face it vs fighters are always more fun against your mates but like some other genres like racers, walkalongbeatemups etc it'd still be a good way to mix mgls up.