Thread: MGL 13 - Start Date Announcement and call for format suggestions

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)

MGL 13 - Start Date Announcement and call for format suggestions

MGL13 will kickoff June 12th, mark the date in your diaries/smartphones/back of your hand! Nominations will commence two weeks prior to that date. (May 29th)

It would be good to use the time between now and game nomination time (roughly a month) for everyone interested in participating, to kick around some ideas about what would be a good format for the next MGL.

I'll get the ball rolling - a 'Rotating Genre' MGL where we play 1 game from each Genre, in order. For example: 1. Shooter 2. Platformer 3. Maze 4. Other

And then repeat - so 3 games of each genre would be played in a 12-game format, giving an even spread of types of game throughout the MGL. Obviously there are some games that are a mix of genres, and some games that defy description, but that's all part of the fun!

So suggest away and give us your ideas for the next MGL. Keep suggestions within the current format IE must be playable on MAME, and score based game format. The most popular idea for a format (we'll vote on it or something) will get the guernsy for MGL13.

State
    Newcastle, NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Cool, looking forward to it, hopefully I'll be able to be on board for this!
    "And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside,
    far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sounds of Tubular Bells"

State
    Central Coast NSW
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    giddyup.

Theme, thinking cap on.........................

Well Im outta ideas.
    Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    So IMHO lets all subscribe to this thread, and there could be a post in general chat, even I don't check here all the time.

Hmmmmm ideas......yes...well I think the limit on 5 game noms worked well.

How about we just ask people to nom a mix of styles, and if 2 of your noms come up then your out, no more.

That way it might be more spread out.

Jammas idea could work in with this, variety is good.

But as we know some games don't suit the MGL................I think we should keep the UNnom option and apply it to the game list before the first round.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Harrr harrr....posted before WTV and Dkong
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    So IMHO lets all subscribe to this thread, and there could be a post in general chat, even I don't check here all the time.

Hmmmmm ideas......yes...well I think the limit on 5 game noms worked well.

How about we just ask people to nom a mix of styles, and if 2 of your noms come up then your out, no more.

That way it might be more spread out.

Jammas idea could work in with this, variety is good.

But as we know some games don't suit the MGL................I think we should keep the UNnom option and apply it to the game list before the first round.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Harrr harrr....posted before WTV and Dkong
    Congratulations

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Thank you
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Japan
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Really hope I can be onboard for this one, but time will be the hardest thing to come by. Hmmm, might have to set something up at work.

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollo View Post
    Really hope I can be onboard for this one, but time will be the hardest thing to come by. Hmmm, might have to set something up at work.
    Yeah - time is an issue for me too.

The most time I had to play in a MGL was over the xmas break and funnily enough the people here decided that would be a good time for a MGL break!

The format does sound good but. A good mix of games is always fun.

State
    Central Coast NSW
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    I only played the last half of the last MGL but I think ensuring you don't have the same genre showing up two weeks in a row is a good thing. I think last MGL there were a few Schmups come up in a row and to be honest, after spending a whole week trying to improve my point score on one genre, facing another week of the same was not motivating me.

We ended with Raiden, Nemesis, Space invaders and carnival, all shooters, fair enough vertical, side and stationary shooters so different, but not different enough so it drains the will to play a bit.
    Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post

We ended with Raiden, Nemesis, Space invaders and carnival, all shooters, fair enough vertical, side and stationary shooters so different, but not different enough so it drains the will to play a bit.
    the same thing has happened in a few MGL's in the past, you spend a week on an RSI shooter and hey presto, another RSI shooter pops up Game draw is random but it can (and usually does) happen that you get similar games one after the other - hence the genre format suggestion to try and give a good spread over the 3 months of play.

removing from potential nomination anything that's been played in the previous 3 MGL's is also worth doing again I reckon.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information