Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MGL 13 - Start Date Announcement and call for format suggestions

State
    adelaide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i played games just no screens. i play for the love not the glory. gaming as a zenist exercise. sub zero will reek vengence upon you all.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henrybulldog View Post
    i played games just no screens. i play for the love not the glory. gaming as a zenist exercise. sub zero will reek vengence upon you all.
    O yes, how very zen

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    ..or perhaps we could pick the top game ever made from the top 12 game manufactures..? Surely there is a wiki page for that? i.e. Namco would be Galaga, Nintendo would be Super Mario Bros..?

or maybe the hardest game from the top 12 game manufacturers..?

State
    WA
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Two VERY different Games running in Tandom over 2 weeks.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SectionZ View Post
    Two VERY different Games running in Tandom over 2 weeks.
    Hmmm, this is an interesting idea... Having two games to play at once would be kinda fun...

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Just my opinion, but all this talk of different genres, shooters v platformers, year this, year that, not nominating a game thats been played before... blah blah is kinda turning me off MGL a tad
    Just nominate games and then randomly play them. If Pac Man comes up again, then so be it....play it again. If you don't like Pac Man, don't play it!

I personally think, if you cant handle playing games listed on the 48 board and then some 100 similar classics, we have a problem. No offense, but Super Mario Bros is not really a Classic MGL game.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Yeah I agree WTV, I'm here to play the classics and hopefully be introduced to some lesser known games that I find I enjoy. There will always be a couple that don't suit me, but that's the luck of the draw.

I think most MGL players are happy with the format, but suggestions were called for, so that's what we get, and newer players will suggest things that have been dismissed in the past.

When you think about it most classics are either shooters or platformers, if you don't like golden age arcade shooters or platformers then your not really gunna enjoy MGL.

Most people put some thought into nominations so that they don't pick all the same genre, then the random selections sort out getting a variety of games to play. You will sometimes get two shooters or more in a row, and they might be two great ones.

I'm happy if nothing is changed since last time, but I do like the idea of two games running concurrently for two weeks, gives me more opportunity to play (sometimes I have a busy week and only get a couple of hours in on a game). Also if I enjoy one game more that the other I can focus on that one, or play the one I'm weaker at in the hope to improve and progress up the leader board. BUT I don't think they need to be "very different" just random picks from the noms as always. Everyone will have a view of how different they should be, and if they are different enough, it would be too much of a headache to implement.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post
    Just my opinion, but all this talk of different genres, shooters v platformers, year this, year that, not nominating a game thats been played before... blah blah is kinda turning me off MGL a tad
    Just nominate games and then randomly play them. If Pac Man comes up again, then so be it....play it again. If you don't like Pac Man, don't play it!
    Ok then, over to then Andy - you run MGL13, and run it like you want to. Which is cool, I'll get to play without having to do all the admin side Actually this is a good idea, we can take it in turns eh ? Give the other guy a chance to play.

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    I like the two games over two weeks

It is the MAME Gaming League so any MAME game should have merit IMO.

State
    WA
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    Some games take longer than a week to learn or even re-learn, especially longer platform games eg wonderboy, Ghosts n Goblins etc. this way players will have 2 weeks. I think most of us find it hard to get as many games in as we would like due to time restraints. I guess they don't have to be 'very different' but a shooter and a platformer might be better than 2 platformers?

Only problem I could see is if 2 really poor games both come up, that might scare ppl away from MGL pretty quick.

I'm happy enough if nothing changes but I do think some games need and deserve more than a few quick games & sometimes thats all ppl can find time for....

Sean

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information