Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kane's Crazy Kong Killscreen Quest

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key to this game and every other game, is never give up, even with a crap start. Got this score after getting to 67K without losing a life.. Lost 2 lives on one board and then got 200K on my next life :)

Gonna give it another bash tomorrow. Hoping I can make it to the kill screen which should get me into the top 5 players on TG and hopefully it will improve my DK score :)

Key to this game and every other game, is never give up, even with a crap start. Got this score after getting to 67K without losing a life.. Lost 2 lives on one board and then got 200K on my next life :)

Gonna give it another bash tomorrow. Hoping I can make it to the kill screen which should get me into the top 5 players on TG and hopefully it will improve my DK score :)

Are you on:?

• Your PC with MAME with a joystick
  • An arcade machine on MAME
  • An arcade machine with an orig CK2 PCB

Just curious, I am guessing the latter option, if submitting to TG

Good on ya, sounds like you'll be at the kill screen in no time.

Hope so. Thanks for introducing me to this game :)

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Are you on:?

• Your PC with MAME with a joystick
  • An arcade machine on MAME
  • An arcade machine with an orig CK2 PCB

Just curious, I am guessing the latter option, if submitting to TG

Playing with Mame on a laptop - no joystick.

I've made a Cab for myself, but still find I do better on a keyboard for almost all games :)

Hope so. Thanks for introducing me to this game :)

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Playing with Mame on a laptop - no joystick.

I've made a Cab for myself, but still find I do better on a keyboard for almost all games :)

Amazing!

Do you ever hit "pause"?

Had about 3 more games this morning, but no good :realmad: Best was about 250K or so I think.

Questions for you Kane:

1. How often do you reckon you'd get to the kill screen? 50 out of 100 games? higher or lower. Just trying to work out how much luck plays in it. Seem to be copping a bad run with wild barrels, angry/uncooperative fireballs and bad random cement pies :unsure

2. Is there any trick or tactic for doing the pie stage? I mean with getting up on the top level, seems the pies are completely random and you just have to chance it getting up on the top conveyor, jumping to the edge and then up the ladder.

Had about 3 more games this morning, but no good :realmad: Best was about 250K or so I think.

Questions for you Kane:

1. How often do you reckon you'd get to the kill screen? 50 out of 100 games? higher or lower. Just trying to work out how much luck plays in it. Seem to be copping a bad run with wild barrels, angry/uncooperative fireballs and bad random cement pies :unsure

2. Is there any trick or tactic for doing the pie stage? I mean with getting up on the top level, seems the pies are completely random and you just have to chance it getting up on the top conveyor, jumping to the edge and then up the ladder.

Somewhere in this thread, I think it was mentioned there can only be certain amount of pies on the screen at one time, so you use that to your advantage IE timing etc

These days I only play with a lot of point pressing so the odds of getting to the KS are a lot lower maybe 10 out of 100, but if playing it safe just running through the boards could probably get there every other game 50/100. Luck does play a part though, of course, sometimes you get wanged by a wild barrel that Kong timed to perfection, and sometimes the fireballs on the rivet stages are just unforgiving. There are ways to minimise the risk though. After L=04 the wild barrels do not zig-zag down the girders, they follow a constant curve sort of, so on the lower girders the wild barrels are easy to predict and not really an issue. Then you just make sure to spend as little time as possible when under Kong's feet where you don't have time to see the wild barrels coming.

The rivet level fireballs are the hardest part of the game IMO, you have to learn a good pattern to follow to ensure you can get passed these levels consistantly, but that's still not enough. You also need to get good at improvising when your patterns break down so you can get out of trouble if the fireballs get in your way, playing some no-hammer games can help you get used to this.

No, most definitely not random, i've explained it earlier in this thread somewhere, I'll dig it up ->

Nah, there's a few rules you can rely on to ensure your safety through the pies.

First, on the top pie conveyors, pies will never come out from the left AND right sides at the same time, so get Jumpman to the top of either ladder, and immediately when a pie is released from the opposite side you have a small window when a pie can't come through on Jumpmans side, you have to be fast though.

Secondly, you may notice that the pies seem to stop coming out after a while, as they get 'stuck' in the oil drum. Pies that come out from the left-top conveyor will get stuck, but only AFTER you have reached the bottom conveyor. After 3 pies get stuck, no more will come out from anywhere, and you can ascend at your leisure.

:cool:

Excellent, thanks for the tips Kane, must have missed that post when you were first going for the kill screen.

I'll have another game shortly and try this out on the cement pie stage :cool: Not that I die that often, generally getting killed by wild barrels more than anything. Getting better at not dying so often on the rivets stage.

Had 300K game earlier, but lost a life to a really stupid move on the barrels stage and died off at around level 13/14.

I might join in this fun at some stage

I have an orig PCB, and will fit it and have a go I think

Good work, join the fun. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ckon0002.png.bc8c050b0a5002a6c008cab8bce7fd07.png

Decided to see if I can reach the killscreen by chucking this on 6 lives. Scored over 200K with my first life and it all went to shit from there :cry Bloody rivets stage keeps screwing me over and I also have a concentration problem after about 30 mins of this game, lose focus and make stupid mistakes. :realmad:

Guessing this score puts me on about 520-540K pace, well off Kane's score, but I'd be happy to make the kill screen - even using 6 starting lives :)

Nice work John. You're on a better pace than that though, I work it out like this, 100k after level 4 +30k per level after that = 610k. So a 610k game at the start of 14 (where you died) would be about 370k, so your really only a little bit behind, probably more like a 580k-590k final score I reckon.

New submission on TG for CK:

1 622,600 Philip M Tudose Jan 02 2011 INP 0

2 608,900 Chris R Psaros Mar 17 2012 INP 13,700

3 605,600 Kane Mawhinney Apr 24 2011 INP 17,000

Time to get back into training Kane and reclaim the Silver for Australia :cool:

I think my best DK score is over 250K, why the hell can't I manage this score in Crazy Kong with is supposedly easier :confused: Might have to give this one some more time this weekend on TG settings and settings and improve my standing.

• 1 month later...

Gonna give this game a flogging this weekend and see if I can finally get to the kill screen using 6 starting lives.

Had about 6 practice games the last two days while at work, which is kinda hard for the concentration. Best so far is level 11.4, make too many stupid makes while at work, so starting tomorrow morning I'll have the best part of 36 hours on the weekend to reach the kill screen :)

In honour of John's efforts with Crazy Kong, I got to the killscreen tonight on the Crazy Kong (Scramble hardware) romset (ckongs.zip). The cool thing about this romset (apart from the bizarro colours) is that the killscreen is on level 12 instead of the usual level 22, and the difficulty is maxed from the very first stage. Anyone who wants the unimaginable thrill (:lol) of getting to a killscreen should try this easy romset.

ckongs0001.png.de4338ba9ef861f7101d4329fd76eb79.png