Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kane's Crazy Kong Killscreen Quest

With all the Donkey Kong playing lately, I reckon I'm practiced up enough to have a serious crack at getting to the killscreen of Crazy Kong in MAME, so I thought I'd post up a thread here to keep track and set a goal for myself that I can work towards.

I'll be using ckong.zip Crazy Kong Part II (Set 1) starting with 3 lives and not using any cheats like the stage skip tricks, just like the Twin Galaxies rules.

I havn't really played this game that much, mostly DK, but I think with CKs easier difficulty that a killscreen might be doable, has anyone ever got there before? What's everybodies high scores?

I find that if you set a goal like this for a game you like you can get in the zone when playing and enjoy it a lot more. If anyone else wants to join in on my quest, feel free to post up some scores!

Stay tuned and I'll post up my scores as I get them...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

completely coincidentally......

one of the local councils here on Sydneys northern beaches is having a council clean up. all sorts of junk is on the streets in preparation for the garbage trucks to pick up and take away.

On my way home last night I noticed on top of a pile of junk was a table top!!??!?!?!

it is a Tatio type.... assuming it would not work I thought I would assist the clean up guys ;) and I brought it home to clean up and plug in.

To my surprise after a little manipulation of the connectors to the board..... the game fired up :):):):)

Its a Crazy Kong which appears to be a bootleg of Donkey Kong. After watching 'King of Kong' too many times I might very well attempt a kill-screen myself.

PS is there any value in this original board?

the game plays fine. the screen needs to be replaced. It is over 30 years old???

thinking of replacing the screen with a LED and dropping a multi-game board into it.

any thoughts?

I will post something in the appropriate area.

interesting coincidence for the game:)

I reckon I'm practiced up enough to have a serious crack at getting to the killscreen of Crazy Kong in MAME,

Good luck with your quest for the KS. Are you going to record your attempts in WolfMAME 106, so that you can submit it to Twin Galaxies??

john

Good luck with your quest for the KS. Are you going to record your attempts in WolfMAME 106, so that you can submit it to Twin Galaxies??

john

To start off with I'll just try to get to the KS without any risks or point pressing, if I can make it there then I might try to start recording for Twin Galaxies submission while maxing out the points. Maybe I'm dreaming, we'll see...

one of the local councils here on Sydneys northern beaches is having a council clean up. all sorts of junk is on the streets in preparation for the garbage trucks to pick up and take away.

On my way home last night I noticed on top of a pile of junk was a table top!!??!?!?!

it is a Tatio type.... assuming it would not work I thought I would assist the clean up guys ;) and I brought it home to clean up and plug in.

To my surprise after a little manipulation of the connectors to the board..... the game fired up :):):):)

Its a Crazy Kong which appears to be a bootleg of Donkey Kong. After watching 'King of Kong' too many times I might very well attempt a kill-screen myself.

PS is there any value in this original board?

the game plays fine. the screen needs to be replaced. It is over 30 years old???

Tin arse! lol. We need pics of that. What a cool find!

Board is worth between 50 and 80 bucks if clean and working fine.

Crazy Kong by Falcon was actually licensed by Nintendo for Export countries outside Japan and the US. So if it's the Falcon version, technically it's not a bootleg :)

Good luck with your quest! Will be interested to see your progress.

And as for that road side table top - Awesome luck! But who throws out a working machine? Even not working, someone would buy the shell. Surely? Amazing :)

Good luck Kane - hope you get there! I'll have a crack at this as CRazy Kong was the Kong I played. Best in Arcades was up around 280k from memory, so I've no hope of a kill screen though.

I hope Kane, you have someone on standby to pop his head around to others and say 'Crazy Kong kill screen coming up, if you're interested' :)

Cardini - noooo dont take out the screen and put an LED/LCD in there - you've scored a working original if the screen is OK then keep it, even if you do put a multi-board or Mame machine in there ultimately, you'll still end up with far more authentic looking games if you keep the original arcade monitor :cool:

Cardini - noooo dont take out the screen and put an LED/LCD in there - you've scored a working original if the screen is OK then keep it, even if you do put a multi-board or Mame machine in there ultimately, you'll still end up with far more authentic looking games if you keep the original arcade monitor :cool:

+1

Show us a pic of the monitor working. Might just need a degauss.

I hope Kane, you have someone on standby to pop his head around to others and say 'Crazy Kong kill screen coming up, if you're interested' :)

Ahh, poor Brian Kuh. Nobody can think of killscreens without remembering him, lol.

Not much in the way of scores yet, best so far was 194k. I remember getting 180k or so on a PCB with this Falcon set a while back when I bought it, so I'm already in PB territory at least. Might have to find that PCB and get it going again.

Although obviously similar to DK, I find CK plays a lot differently and you can't really use your DK strategy in most places, except on the rivets levels which are the same. The scoring is a lot slower as well so it seems like slow motion progress most of the time, I'll get some time to play more over the weekend.

There actually were a lot of Falcon bootlegs around, just because the falcon version was licensed doesn't necessarily mean all falcons are originals btw.

Yeah, the PCB I just mentioned plays exactly like the Falcon romset, but is a hack on a River Patrol PCB, and I have another bootleg here that is the same as the Falcon board layout, but green instead of blue and no Falcon logos.

What's everybodies high scores?

I got 238,340 on CK1 back in the day.

Why not try a better CK, like Alca or CK1.

CK2 is very difficult and you might be at it a while.

It was designed to bring in more revenue so is sooo much harder. I have the actual PCB for Ck2, In fact of all the CKs, Alca is the best, funnest etc, as you can go behind Kong on rivets level, Monkey Donkey is the same as CK1 and Alca.

What ever you choose good luck

Is your board the ckong.zip Crazy Kong Part II (Set 1)? Or the Alca bootleg?

There are differences with CK roms, as in gaps between girders and so on.

Will check the difference, think I have the Alaca from memory Sean(Section z) or Dez can confirm this ( hint hint ;)) as they worked on my boards , Sean.

The boardset I have is the one that was released in Australia by LAI, so most likely the Donkey ( Crazy) Kong everyone played in their yoof.

Will check the difference, think I have the Alaca from memory Sean(Section z) or Dez can confirm this ( hint hint ;)) as they worked on my boards , Sean.

The boardset I have is the one that was released in Australia by LAI, so most likely the Donkey ( Crazy) Kong everyone played in their yoof.

Yours is Alca Ben

Twin Galaxies only track the Falcon set, so I was just going to stick with that one, maybe I'll do the others later ;)

I didn't realise the Alca set was LAI, interesting, good to know. I also have an Orca PCB here somewhere too.

Getting some much better scores tonight, I don't think I would call the CK2 set "very difficult" after playing DK. ;)

Twin Galaxies only track the Falcon set, so I was just going to stick with that one, maybe I'll do the others later ;)

I didn't realise the Alca set was LAI, interesting, good to know. I also have an Orca PCB here somewhere too.

Getting some much better scores tonight, I don't think I would call the CK2 set "very difficult" after playing DK. ;)

Fair enough, it's your thread, go for it. Yes DK is harder for sure

"cocktail cabinet" they are called

nice score:cool:

314,600 L=13

http://home.exetel.com.au/kanem/pic/ckong/01.JPG

Passed the halfway mark easily enough, I'm sure the next half will be just as easy :blink:

Going by the scores I'm getting so far, I think I'm on track for around about 550k at the L=22 killscreen playing just in survival mode, using no hammers on the barrel boards. I'm usually around 95k after L=04, and on the L=05+ levels I usually get around 25k-30k per level depending on the bonus timers, it's amazing how consistent the scores are from game to game, usually within 1k at the same point.

More work to do yet...

Thankyou for your praises :redface

Just to clarify something

Renamed (ckong) to (ckongpt2), (ckonga) to (ckongpt2a), (ckongb) to (ckongpt2b), (ckong2j) to (ckongpt2j) and (ckongjeu) to (ckongpt2jeu).

It looks like the MAME crew, in their constant buggerising around, have renamed some of the Crazy Kong ROMsets from version 0.138u3 onwards. So if your using a new version of MAME, this ROMset is now called ckongpt2.zip.

My cabinet must be using and older version than that as mine is still named ckong, but it was a bit confusing what I was reading today.

Back to the cabinet now...