Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My first Cocktail Cab build

Having finished my first upright a few months ago, and being pretty damn happy with the results, I thought I'd tackle a cocktail cabinet for my second build.

I cheated with the first build in that I got someone else to set-up the PC for me. It wasn't a bad job - a couple of thousand games with a Mala front end. Decided this build, however, that I was going to do the PC build myself.

After researching front ends I decided on GameEx, and pretty glad I did. It's a great FE and constantly being improved. Picked up a bunch of roms, got missing artwork etc from Emumovies, and spent a couple of months setting up GameEx. Really happy with both the end result, and also with how much I've learnt along the way. Ended up with over 6,000 games running across 8 different emulators including Zinc and Daphne (Zinc and Daphne were absolute pains to configure, but I was determined to get them right, and now they run great).

One thing that took me a while to get right was flipping the screen on games that play in Cocktail mode. In short, there's no easy way to do this - the dipswitch has to be manually changed in Mame, and each game has to be tested. All done now, but it was painful! Then I simply told GameEx which games worked in 'Cocktail', and now I have a separate menu choice for these games.

To the cab itself - picked up a 3-sided cocktail flatpack from Troy at ArcadeWorx. It's not one of Troy's creations - he's just on-selling this particular type. Quality lacks a litte but it's fine. Picked up a 21" CRT off Ebay for $10, stripped it and it fits perfectly. Ipac, buttons and wiring from Chis at OzStick - all installed and tested.

Artwork was done and printed by Haydn at Lammond Signs, and had a sheet of smoked glass cut and polished to fit.

Just about finished now - waiting on some blue led's to arrive to put under the top so they shine down on the control panels - I just thought it needed something to give it a bit of a boost. Will post final pics on completion.

IMG_0693.thumb.jpg.be9b379298bc4f0339928799bc725e9e.jpg

IMG_0814.thumb.jpg.adfad3bc8f810df5a48c250a31b4ddf4.jpg

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.814f0b4c55a0a02d06ae8b3bae6921f8.jpg

IMG_0690.thumb.jpg.1079967604a831e5448defcec29c5d95.jpg

IMG_0689.thumb.jpg.57aa9b0fe54f0f67376bfe5b441b7fa7.jpg

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.bbfeb5f91c4d95e22a4a4291f24beaf5.jpg

IMG_0691.thumb.jpg.cb9ae5ec60f405a3d2b3f85c1bbda0c1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice work there. For LED's I recently bought something called a SMD Led Light strip on ebay for along the front of my bar it is incredible and adds a real light show if needed...

Thanks - I ended up picking up some cheap blue LED strips off Ebay, and positioned them above the 3 control panels so they shone down. The effect is great, and really finishes the cab off. I like it so much that I'm now thinking about how I can incorporate some LED's into my previous upright build.

Some final pics attached.

1924041622_CocktailFinal2.thumb.jpg.7eb6cff9b2ff26049c757e78bf7aaf34.jpg

1674267986_CocktailFinal1.thumb.jpg.f3ca616afcdb9d7ec7d4afdfb5f6c066.jpg