Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Let the building commence

At long last I've got a weekend without much on, which means I can finally start my build having cut out the sides for my cab last weekend. Just wondering if anybody has some good hints around construction, best way to fix braces, what the best way is to actually make the initial connection between the sides etc.?

Slightly concerned about how heavy the bugger is going to be at the end, I can lift the two sides together (which is tricky) and the CRT weighs a bloody ton too!

Will post some pics of my progress in due course. :)

The weight issue is what made me decide against using an old 19" CRT and going for a LCD instead :D It would be nice to have an authentic looking cabinet, but having to move the bastard around made me change my mind :lol

Looking forward to some pics.

I'm hoping to get my cocktail cabinet pretty much finished (minus the decals for the cab) next weekend. I think I'll make a stand up cab next - and this time I won't let my dad take over the project :lol

Hi

I don't use large horizontal braces anymore

Once you have the sides (like you said), make the base next. Then cut a 300mm x 600 (width you decide) mm panel and it becomes the bottom back panel.

Use 19 x 19mm strips and screws from the inside, then make the next panels as required 1 at a time

Have a look in here, this is how atari did it

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/28872-Lunar-Lander-Cabinet-Started-from-Scratch!!

The rectangular panels give it strength

Good luck

Cool, thanks for the pointers Dez :) Going to go with 19x42 for now because that's what I have around, and also I only saw your post after attaching some :P

I've got a few bits attached and a few angled brackets for the floor and monitor shelf to go on. Hopefully make more progress over the coming week though the weekend is all about the GP!

IMAG0085.thumb.jpg.bd52121396c760d9ee0a2b8dc41d6e26.jpgIMAG0087.thumb.jpg.253c592acf061d12f6638c47c6f3e303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
So I got a little more done earlier this week, now my home made cab kit is almost ready for assembly.... hopefully a good session on saturday will see this thing self standing, possibly with controls & tube in place!

IMAG0095.thumb.jpg.48cfe5d9554b0ddcd1a38f2501db5d18.jpg

IMAG0093.thumb.jpg.e05a04ee6f7dcc8649d8619e4a5cd295.jpg

Put in some good hours yesterday...

Holy hell this mutha is heavy. Did a lot of the assembly over 10 hours yesterday, did realise that the screen is maybe a tad too close to the controls (just a comfort thing) and should be angled back more... ho-hum live and learn. Next time I'll adjust that ;)

Only other thing was that the CP was on too much of a slope so I've flattened it out a little - hopefully get some games running on it tonight when I can convince this damned graphics card to pump a signal through the TV out.

IMAG0013.thumb.jpg.be18e4479eae5843c68622b2fd8d7766.jpg

IMAG0002.thumb.jpg.4e3a595a1c1cb4d2a3f0c25318c42e4b.jpg

IMAG0017.thumb.jpg.943bfbb33f659b79f1c234a8a5fcccea.jpg

IMAG0009.thumb.jpg.f785f532a6b37f8dd715cce0f26fc2bd.jpg

IMAG0047.thumb.jpg.459e2a519151737bd1ff20a2497a3154.jpg

IMAG0018.thumb.jpg.d0ce51ab76cf22b6ba5b2e447c40c014.jpg

IMAG0096.thumb.jpg.91e4811834f1056dc281b62297d24807.jpg

Looks very nice. Are you keeping plans for your cab? I'm planning on making an upright next when I finish my cocktail cabinet.

BTW, nice floor on the garage (or car hold as Moe Szyslak would say). You have a very lucky car that gets to sleep on that :D

Ha! Yeah the floor surprised me the first time I went in there! Easy to sweep up MDF dust too ;)

I've got a Google Sketch Up file which has the rough plan in it, though I've deviated slightly here and there and it doesn't include wheels. Also I think all the panels in the plan fit flush to the edge, but still, it's a shape! Have attached the plans to see if they're of any use to you... thinking about a Cocktail next, got the bug!

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Cab1.zip

Ha! Yeah the floor surprised me the first time I went in there! Easy to sweep up MDF dust too ;)

I've got a Google Sketch Up file which has the rough plan in it, though I've deviated slightly here and there and it doesn't include wheels. Also I think all the panels in the plan fit flush to the edge, but still, it's a shape! Have attached the plans to see if they're of any use to you... thinking about a Cocktail next, got the bug!

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Thanks for the plans. I'll come back to these when the time comes to build my upright :D Will have so save up some cash first before I start on the next one :(

It's actually bit of a requirement, I bought the screen before finalising the design as I didn't know what size it'd be - I ended up picking up a 27" screen from eBay for the princely sum of $1, I'm not a fan of huge bezels either though and this has forced me to keep it tight as otherwise it wouldn't go through doors!!

It's crazy how often you see people using a tiny monitor with a foot of black all the way around, it's like they're unable to see that it looks odd or something!

You probably wouldn't be saying that if you saw it up close, there are a few gaps ;)

I've cut everything by hand, but with the last ones I've been making them around 2mm too big intentionally and then sanding them down to fit - the only real panel that doesn't fit is around the back at the moment covering the tube but I'm not too worried about that right now, will replace it with a better fitting one before painting.

The angles have been tricky, I've just set my circular saw to the best match I can and have gone with that, generally my corners all have some overlap at the moment and I plan to sand them down into nice curves if I can.

Looks like you have done a great job nonetheless. Am about to start cutting some replacement bits for the bizzare Vindicators cab I am restoring. I chickened out of cutting a new front panel for the pedestal and got one made for me but the tank track sides I am gonna have to make myself or it will get rather expensive.

You probably wouldn't be saying that if you saw it up close, there are a few gaps ;)

I've cut everything by hand, but with the last ones I've been making them around 2mm too big intentionally and then sanding them down to fit - the only real panel that doesn't fit is around the back at the moment covering the tube but I'm not too worried about that right now, will replace it with a better fitting one before painting.

The angles have been tricky, I've just set my circular saw to the best match I can and have gone with that, generally my corners all have some overlap at the moment and I plan to sand them down into nice curves if I can.

If you can, consider using a router with a flush trim bit as this will give you an A1 finish. Using a sander you can never seem to get the edge 100% flat with MDF, as typically once you get glose enough to the bit you're sanding it down to you start to sand into it a little as well and the rusult is a very slight 'wave'. It all depends on the arrangements of the bits of wood though, as you can only use a flush trim bit away from corners.

Edited by TheWiggman
Removing potentially ill-perceived arrogance

If you can, consider using a router with a flush trim bit as this will give you an A1 finish. Using a sander you can never seem to get the edge 100% flat with MDF, as typically once you get glose enough to the bit you're sanding it down to you start to sand into it a little as well and the rusult is a very slight 'wave'.

Thanks ?*that's good advice! I do kinda wish I'd gotten a router to cut a slot for T-moulding, it's not too late I suppose but I think some of the corners would be too tight for it now anyway. Also I'd be slightly worried about screwing it up and undoing my work so far. This is the first time I've done any kind of wood working since leaving school, and I've never tried anything this big/ambitious!