Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let the building commence

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You probably wouldn't be saying that if you saw it up close, there are a few gaps

I've cut everything by hand, but with the last ones I've been making them around 2mm too big intentionally and then sanding them down to fit - the only real panel that doesn't fit is around the back at the moment covering the tube but I'm not too worried about that right now, will replace it with a better fitting one before painting.

The angles have been tricky, I've just set my circular saw to the best match I can and have gone with that, generally my corners all have some overlap at the moment and I plan to sand them down into nice curves if I can.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Looks like you have done a great job nonetheless. Am about to start cutting some replacement bits for the bizzare Vindicators cab I am restoring. I chickened out of cutting a new front panel for the pedestal and got one made for me but the tank track sides I am gonna have to make myself or it will get rather expensive.
    Sic transit gloria Atari!

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaceySnr View Post
    You probably wouldn't be saying that if you saw it up close, there are a few gaps

I've cut everything by hand, but with the last ones I've been making them around 2mm too big intentionally and then sanding them down to fit - the only real panel that doesn't fit is around the back at the moment covering the tube but I'm not too worried about that right now, will replace it with a better fitting one before painting.

The angles have been tricky, I've just set my circular saw to the best match I can and have gone with that, generally my corners all have some overlap at the moment and I plan to sand them down into nice curves if I can.
    If you can, consider using a router with a flush trim bit as this will give you an A1 finish. Using a sander you can never seem to get the edge 100% flat with MDF, as typically once you get glose enough to the bit you're sanding it down to you start to sand into it a little as well and the rusult is a very slight 'wave'. It all depends on the arrangements of the bits of wood though, as you can only use a flush trim bit away from corners.
    Last edited by TheWiggman; 13th April 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Removing potentially ill-perceived arrogance

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you can, consider using a router with a flush trim bit as this will give you an A1 finish. Using a sander you can never seem to get the edge 100% flat with MDF, as typically once you get glose enough to the bit you're sanding it down to you start to sand into it a little as well and the rusult is a very slight 'wave'.
    Thanks ?*that's good advice! I do kinda wish I'd gotten a router to cut a slot for T-moulding, it's not too late I suppose but I think some of the corners would be too tight for it now anyway. Also I'd be slightly worried about screwing it up and undoing my work so far. This is the first time I've done any kind of wood working since leaving school, and I've never tried anything this big/ambitious!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information