Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cooling question

G'day all...

I recently bought 2 of these cheap and nasties for my cabinet...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/120mm-Fans-4-LED-Blue-Computer-PC-Case-Cooling-/190385265109?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2c53d899d5#ht_2804wt_1139

My question is, should they be sucking air in? blowing air out? one each way?

What is best?

I was planning on having them down low on the backside drawing air in and having a vent half way up the cabinet..

Vent similar to this dodgey picture:

http://www.renovationrobot.com.au/images2/eave-vent.gif

Cheers..

• Super Moderator
PC fans generally draw air out, hence them being at the top of the machine (hot air rising and all that).. That's how I'd go. A vent at the bottom and the fan drawing warm air up and out. Not too sure how your go the other way around..?

IMO you'd be better off buying some decent ones.

The cooler you can keep your components the longer they will last.

I couldnt see them keeping a computer cool let alone a box with a computer, power supply and a monitor as well.

But to answer your question, I'd have one sucking in at the bottom and blowing out at the top.

I just use one of these. $18, does an excellent job.

1203546573_240vfan.jpg.f3855f0120f47326231af39a79e9ff27.jpg

no point in just wacking in fans without knowing that the rate of heat creation by your hardware is matched or bettered by the rate of heat reduction by fans.

get a cheap dmm with a temp thermocouple if you havent got one and measure the change in temperature over time.

put in both fans at the top to draw air out of the cab. test temp on a hot day - if temp keeps rising, add another fan (to increase the CFM of aire removed from the cab) or increase the size of flow rate (CFM) using diff fan(s),

if it is stable or cooler, you got it right