Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dez's 25" Starwars vector monitor project

dezbaz

Question

edit: 11 June 2011 PROJECT SUCCESSFUL AND WORKING! :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi guys

This is about making Starwars 25" monitors from a NEC 25" TV, IE the one in the wooden box - All you TV collectors / hoarders like me, know the TV I mean

I spoke to Jomac the other day, he was kind enough to read to me the neck pinouts for the NEC 25"

I was looking at the pinouts of the Amplifone / Rauland monitor as he read them to me from his book - Guess what - they were identical to each other

For a TV to be usable as a Vector monitor, the following must be compatible

1. Neck Size

2. Neck Pinout

3. Neck pin Pattern and size

4. Deflection angle

5. HV value

6. Yoke resistance and Impedance

7. Heater Voltage

Ok, so:

They are identical pinouts

Now the Yoke on a 25" Amplifone is different to the 19" Amplifone.

The 25" SW used the WG6100 Yoke like this below, and is suited to 100 degree deflection angle tubes

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/WG6100Yoke-sm.jpg

Click enlarge

The 19" one looks like this by the way

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/AmplifoneYoke.jpg[/img]"]http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/AmplifoneYoke.jpg

The 19" Amplifone YOKE is a 90 degree, so the yoke is not really compatible with the TV will be trying to use here.

So back to our list

1. Neck Size (Check) ie Yes

2. Neck Pinout (Check)

3. Neck pin Pattern and size (Check)

4. Deflection angle (Check - 100 degree)

5. HV value (Unknown as yet)

6. Yoke resistance and Impedance (Must have original WG 6100 Yoke) - Sorry :(

7. Heater Voltage (Unknown as yet)

So what I intend to do is actually prove this can be done

I will document the path I take until we all see it working

Items needed

A. Working 25" Starwars Machine (Check)

B. Spare WG 6100 Deflection Yoke (Check)

C. NEC 25" TV's (Check)

D. HV Probe and Scope (Check)

E. Rings and wedges to suit (Check)

Those who know me will also know I take forever, but get there eventually. So jump onboard, but be patient

Input is welcome

:)

Edited by dezbaz

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

so then if i aint wrong it just a matter of replacing the yoke thats currently on nec tv tube with the wells gardner one you have and resetting convergance and purity... cool to easy.

What about the heater voltage on the nec tube how do you determine value and if its compatible?

so then if i aint wrong it just a matter of replacing the yoke thats currently on nec tv tube with the wells gardner one you have and resetting convergance and purity... cool to easy.

What about the heater voltage on the nec tube how do you determine value and if its compatible?

Thank you I will edit my list

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

ahh np dez

will keep a eye out then if its the tvs im thinking off last haul was 13 of them :blink:

You still need a WG6100 yoke though.

I have a few WG6100 yokes, so I may sacrifice one to try and have them manufactured locally eventually

Edited by dezbaz

I just found out the Sony Trinitron monitors has the same neck pinouts as the Amplifone

AND the amplifone monitor is actually NOT the same as the NEC monitor I quoted.

I am investigating.

Meanwhile there is a 23" sony trinitron out on the neighbourhood verge collection right now. I am going to grab it in case it is needed later

I can always get rid of it if it's wrong

I am just adding stuff for my own future reference

Interesting Article / book

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=53nnX4fnnNIC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=trinitron+voltage+chart+heater&source=bl&ots=1smYajkn2E&sig=a9Abyl5mRs7C-pU3k07hKqyyz7U&hl=en&ei=8dp4TaWBFJCycbSuib8E&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

And this

http://www.ataricade.com/vectormonitorxref.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/Sencore%20Big%20Mack%20Adaprters%20%28Making%20your%20Own%29.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3507921/Sony-TV-Training-Manual-Chassi-BA4

wish i could get myself more into these kind of projects.. however i have a fear of high voltages.

it due to me being zapped too many times as a child.. this is why i dont fix chassis , well i try n not too.

i really hate it , it like a phobia , i break out into sweats.

Dez, I wouldn't waste time with Sony Trinitron tubes. They are an entirely different species to 'normal' tubes. Different voltages, different yoke requirements and a host of things that make them 100% NON-compatible with pretty well anything else in the world really....

Dez, I wouldn't waste time with Sony Trinitron tubes. They are an entirely different species to 'normal' tubes. Different voltages, different yoke requirements and a host of things that make them 100% NON-compatible with pretty well anything else in the world really....

Thanks Mike

Yes, I saw the back of the Sony tube yesterday and it's way different. I was abandoning the sony idea early in the piece :D

I nicked a few magnets from the tube though and put the TV back on the kerb for collection

I am in agreement with you there now

Thanks for the advice mate :)

I just received a huge helping hand on this project.

I asked for help in sourcing a sencore setup book on another forum and a very nice person provided me with one a few days ago. Thanks Debbie for the pdf file :)

This book gives specific details on rejuvinator adapter numbers. Very important to figure out if pinouts are compatible on monitor tubes

Well here's the results: Original Star wars tube: A63AAX00X

Tubes I have found to be compatible theoretically (All CRTs use Pinout adapter # 3, 6.3V Filament etc) so all are pinout compat.

A63ABZ26X (See here)

MVA63AAM00X (Sharp TVs)

A63JHF80X (NEC TVs)

670EKB22 AWA Model C6333 (Note: it's larger 27")

I have 4 other 25" tubes in the shed and will decase them over the next few weeks and add them if compatible

Got any old 25" tubes lying around? Let me know the # number :)

Let's make a list

Edited by dezbaz

Awesome thread Dez..

I pre-ordered a Zector video card on the latest (last?) re-run a couple of days ago with a view to make my SWC cabinet more accurate, so this is very interesting to me..

Hoops

Got an old woody telly in the shed, reckon its a 25".

Mitsubishi 670EBK22.

Thanks J :)

If you ever take the back off can I have the tube number please?

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Oops

67 is too big sorry

63 is the correct size actually

Imagine a ZVG running a 25" Amplifone screen in a fatboy or something

Chassis parts are here (2 full sets)

http://www.quarterarcade.com/Browse.aspx?c=All.Parts.Mon

What are you guys waiting for LOL

All you need is a WG 6100 yoke and a ZVG

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

No worries. Just went out and had a better measure.

Bit hard to get to piled up with all sorts of shit.

67 probably on the money.

Hey it might work, just wont fit in a SW cab that's all

If you get me the number on the back of the tube I will tell you if it is compat.

That was the number. 670EBK22. Mitsi

Read somewhere that Sega used these tubes.

That number is not showing up

I have:

670EB22 (Not Compatible pinout), needs an adapter

670EKB22 (Compatible pinout)

670EBK22 (Not Listed) please check

So hang onto it mate :)

Good stuff

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Have you still got the case?

Have you got the part number / model of the TV itself.

If I add it to the list it is easier for people to decide during council pickups