Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

illawarra steelers EM meet - 16th of April 2011

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Thankyou to everybody that rocked up yesterday. We ended up going until 2am which made it a 10 hour meet in total.

For the guys that flew down from Queensland, drove up from Victoria, flew in from New Zealand, drove from all over Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle and the Illawarra - thanks for making the massive effort.

As mentioned last night - being fortunate enough to have a nice collection of games means nothing when you can't share them. The friendship that is displayed at these meets sure says that we have a wonderful community here on AA. A few times I looked around and saw people that had only just met each other talking like they were old friends.

Thanks to Kev again for coming over on Friday and also for the 2 awesome pinball clocks that he donated for prizes on the comp. Also a massive thanks to the Pinball Shed for the excellent prizes of bling balls, novus and new shooter rod assembly. Thanks to Bill for donating the rubber rings for the comp.

Also thanks to Dan for bringing along his stunning Black Pryamid that sure got a hammering (how loud was it at 1am :laugh:). Thanks to Mark (bossninja) for the yummo treats that he bought along (please thank your wife). Thanks to Jeff for the chrome leg bolts, they will go on the Happy Clown. Last thanks to Simon for organising the signitures of Trent Barrett.

Comp was run on Hot Shot with 32 people playing off. Scott came in 1st, Steve Beamish 2nd (was the hot favourite), Dave (goodolddays) 3rd and Jason (knight76) coming in 4th. Scott, here is hoping all worked out for your Son.

Overall the old EMs stood strong for the majority of the night, seeing they got a hammering!

Photos from last night:

Troy Meredith on the Williams Love Bug

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_195.jpg

Dave playing Dan's near mint Bally Black Pyramid

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_177.jpg

Dan, Tony and the Creature from the Black Lagoon (Jeff what was going on :lol)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_95.jpg

Here Rod is getting right into the comp on Hot Shot

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_66.jpg

Grand Champ Scott in the final

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_85.jpg

Could be 1974 all over again - Dave (Fire_Power) and Brad (Brado) head to head on Twin Shooter

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_203.jpg

This shot could be from 1974 (with different game). A bunch of guys stand around playing pinball and talking sh*t. Here is Andrew is playing Black Pryamid while Ross (roscoe), Bill (billstats) and Dave (Fire_Power) look on.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_65.jpg

Winners of the comp

Scott with first:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_103.jpg

Steve with second:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_104.jpg

Dave with third:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_105.jpg

Jason with 4th:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_106.jpg

This guy had the over all lowest score of the night...not sure who it was as he was hiding his face :lol For the record Trav scored a massive 7,010 for the entire game.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/illawarra_steelers/AAmeet042011/20110417_107.jpg

What another fantastic get together, Thanks Tony and your family for opening your home and collection for us to enjoy.

Great to catch up with the familiar faces ,the first time visitors as well as the QLD, NZ & Albury guys.

One of many highlights of the night for me was sharing the flippers with Ando :giggle: (Hadnt done that since 1968)

Kev

THANKS TONY for the great night, all the Newcastle boy's had a top night even though I borred then to tears with all my stories on the road trip. Thanks to Wolfy for driving us down and back. And as for EB staring out to space this is quite normal for him :lol

ps. How good are these AA meets!!

Tony (illawarras) pinball meet

Had a great night of electromechanical fun!sorry to those who didnt attend, u couldnt meet a nicer bunch of blokes.Extra special thanks to tony & family.:D for a well organised event!:)

• Super Moderator
geez. what a fantastic meet and you are a bloody legend tony m! that games room is just magic, a time trip to the good old days for sure. geez there were so many games in such beautiful condition, a real tribute and I reckon a trip from QLD might become a regular thing for nights like that. thanks to furby for being a champion and driving us and putting us up! good onya scotty for cleaning up the comp! great to meet a few blokes that have been around AA for a long time and I've never had the chance to meet. i even caught up with a bloke i hadn't seen for 25 years! great to tell stories of the old arcades with the Albury boys. hats off to you TM for opening your games room and doing so much for the hobby. there was a really great vibe about the whole night. thanks again :):):)

Thanks Tony for the great nite. Haven't read the thread ...sitting on a bus waiting. Great to catch up with old and meet the new. Thanks to all who helped and contributed.stoked withe clock from Kev and presented by Tony...not quite sure but I'm honoured. Great to watch rgr play...an absolute legend...ivelearned a lot in such a short time scootty Congrats on the win...great. play with my help lol cheers guys

Thank-you Tony and family for a great night.

Greatly appreciated the effort you and Kev must have put in to get so many machines up and running. The sound of 20 odd EM machine running at once was a highlight.

First of all a big thanks to Tony & his Family for hosting the meet.

I?ve been trying to get to Tony?s place for a few years now & it was well worth the trek down from Newcastle.

What an awesome Shed & the line up of games was unreal, we got to play some classics like Bally?s ?Fireball?, (how much fun is that ? easy to see why it?s so sort after.) , Bally?s ?Wizard? & ?Captain Fantastic?. Williams ?Klondike?, ?Spanish eyes? & ?Love Bug? & how? bout all the Gottliebs !! ?Skyjump?, ?Jungle Queen? ,? Hot Shot?, ?Bowling Queen?, ?Ice Revue? , the list goes on & on, not to forget the line up of woodrails , some were even over 60 years old , in top nick & playing fine. It?s a credit to you Tony & thanks for sharing such a fine collection with us.

Thanks again Wolfy for driving us Newy crew in the Pinball Bus, plenty of laughs & stories on the way down too, ( onya Spurry).

Also thanks Dan for bringing along your Black Pyramid, that too is an awesome game & one I?ve never played before.

I?ve got one last Thank you to go & that?s to the great Community of Aussie Arcade. This forum has brought many collectors together from all over the country & NZ as well, helped to form many friendships. It?s been awesome in promoting the hobby, for example , last night I played at least twenty machines that I?ve never played before, some of which are now on my ?want? list, without meets like this I?d never have had that opportunity.

Put me on the list for the next meet Tony, I?m there.

Thanks again mate. Cheers Steve

After the presentations & short speeches were made there was actually a small short silence in the shed which made me proud to be part of this hobby. Am I the only one that noticed that:) The bit in between suggestions of group hug and ...lets play pins. Lot of good vibes there;)

After the presentations & short speeches were made there was actually a small short silence in the shed which made me proud to be part of this hobby. Am I the only one that noticed that:) The bit in between suggestions of group hug and ...lets play pins. Lot of good vibes there;)

Yes Jeff, I also did noticed that short silence, I also saw a few guys with a small tear of happyness in their eyes. I was one of them.

What a day and night for us Qld guys, the 4 of us landed in Sydney at 2.00 pm picked up by Furby, then a quick visit to John Glover's arcade at Rooty Hill, then down to the Gong to attend this great social event. We arrived there at 6.30 just in time for the first pizza delivery, great pizza's. Then into the Shed for a blast into the past. Travis and myself knew what to expect but Stu and Nick were first timers who were both blown away by the pinballs and the players of these fine looking old girls.

Into the night, the 4 of us had a ball, trying to have a drink with everyone and playing some pinball.

It was great to meet the Albury boys and also all the Newcastle guys as we hadn't met most of them before.

On to the pinball comp which was very well organised, then onto the presentations and brief speeches for the comp winners and some fine awards of recognition.

Then some more drinks and pinball play till around 1.30 in the morning.

I'm pretty sure we were some of the last to leave. Back to big Dave's place to crash for 3 hours, to then be woken at 5.00 for our 6.30 am flight back to Brisbane.

Massive big thank you to Dave and his wife for driving the 4 of us around and letting us stay at their home.

Another big thanks to every person that attended this meet, this hobby owes all of you guys big time for helping to foster and grow this great hobby into the future.

The biggest thank you, goes to the man of the night, Mr Tony Mathers.

Tony, I have only known you for a couple of years but I have been really touched by your honest and genuine nature that you display to us all on a regular basis.

3 cheers to a top guy.

I just wished that after all the speeches, I should have called for all of us, to take off our shirts and all cuddle in together for a great big sweaty manhug. Thats the feelings that I sensed in that shed.

Top effort guys, to every person in attendance. See you at the next one.

I just wished that after all the speeches, I should have called for all of us, to take off our shirts and all cuddle in together for a great big sweaty manhug. Thats the feelings that I sensed in that shed.

What do you mean Tony i heard a few calls for the "shirts off man hug". :lol

I think the silence after the speeches was to see who was going to make the first man hugging move :laugh:

What do you mean Tony i heard a few calls for the "shirts off man hug". :lol

I think the silence after the speeches was to see who was going to make the first man hugging move :laugh:

Yep Jase, we were all blokes having a great time and no-one was gonna go 1st but to me there was that moment that said to me what a great hobby it is with people like this last night:)

Well that was something special ,thankyou to Tony M for putting on a fantastic meet and comp. I've seen photos on AA of your shed , but to walk in there is something else, it's a credit to you how much work you do to bring those games up to that quality , a massive thanks man . Great to catch up with all the boys and meet some new fellas, group hug . A massive thankyou to Furbs for picking us up and driving us Qld's boys around big effort, yours and Mrs Furbs hospitality was fantastic . sorry for breaking MM .:o . Stopping in on John's place was great top guy . Thanks to everyone who made this one happen .. cheers Edited by Nick64

Awesome comments guys looked like a fantastic meet-Due to work and family I can only make one or two meets a year and Tonys one looks like a MUST DO so hopefully I can make next year as I'd love to, top effort Tony for such a great meet.

Peter:)

Due to work and family I can only make one or two meets a year and Tonys one looks like a MUST DO so hopefully I can make next year as I'd love to

Totally understand about the time/family thing Peter. Would be great to have you here for the next one, which looks like as soon as August for Rod's 40th :)

Hey Extra Ball. I have mention to you before how much I hated Spanish Eyes as a pinball. Guess which pin out of all Tony's collection I enjoyed playing the most.

That wayward wheel couldave done more than you realise :lol

I still cant find it's magic, my pick wouldave been Jungle Queen, a close second Big Shot.

I would like to thank Tony for putting on a great meet. I really enjoyed meeting people who all have a common interest. Great venue, great people, great machines.

(My pick would be Ice Revue, kinda liked it for some reason.)

Thanks again Tony, and everyone else who made it a good night.

Will certainly be driving the Newcastle to Bulli pinball party express bus again.

Wolfy