MGL12 Game 10: Nemesis

KANE powers up with his nomination,

DIP SWITCHES / ROM:

ROMSet: nemesis.zip
    Lives: 3
    Difficulty: Easy
    Bonus Life: 50k and every 100k

Nemesis Description

Waves of enemies are destroyed and levels are completed by destroying a guardian. If a whole wave of enemies is destroyed a power orb is released that, when collected, increases an indicator at the bottom of the screen enabling the player to select various power-ups such as bombs, speedup, lasers, and orbitals that mirror the players movements. Game difficulty increases depending on how many power ups the player has, so sometimes it is advantageous to not power-up your ship too much.

Manufacturer: Konami
    Year: 1985
    Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
    Maximum number of Players: 2
    Gameplay: Alternating
    Control Panel Layout: Single Player left or right handed
    Controls:

• Joystick: 8-way
    • Buttons: 3 [FireBombSelect Power-Up]

More info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=8842

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 20th of February BY 7PM. (NSW daylight savings time)

Games for MGL12 are selected at random from the MGL 12 nomination thread.To nominate games after the competition has started, play in a game and submit a score, then you can add your nominations. They will be added to the MGL12 list.

Progress Scores:

Taverner 227,400
    Dkong 209,500
    Kane 124,500
    Woka 118,400
    Brad 114,700
    Jammasized 45,500
    Rat 31,100
    Knight76 11,000

Last edited by Jed; 20th February 2011 at 02:42 PM.

State
    Central Coast NSW
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    Nemesis, cool, it's R-type-aliscious.
    Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Another of my noms, oh my aren't I the popular one!

I have fond memories of banging away on this with a mate on his Commodore64 for several-hours long sessions with the usual video game sore eyes. Havn't played it in a long time though, it'll be good to give it a serious go for the MGL.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    We need to start a C64GL or something.. I'd absolutely love to be able to compete with you guys but I can't stand playing games on emulators.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
    We need to start a C64GL or something.. I'd absolutely love to be able to compete with you guys but I can't stand playing games on emulators.

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah nice - Gradius. Another shooter. True Classic.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Due to the fact that not many of us own ALL the original classic cabinets and consoles thus enabling us to have a competition playing REAL arcade games, sadly we have to resort to mame.

I own an Asteroids cab, and a pinball machine, neither of those can be sucessfully emulated IMHO.

But nearly everything else I'm happy to play on mame and find that they are emulated so well I would be unlikely to tell the difference between them and real thing.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    But nearly everything else I'm happy to play on mame and find that they are emulated so well I would be unlikely to tell the difference between them and real thing.
    You're kidding yourself mate.

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, emulators are what keeps the MGL( MAME gaming league )alive. Yes it would be nice to be able to play on original pcbs, but its beyond most of our reaches. I personally don't think Rat is kidding himself. I think he was saying that there are a ton of games that are emulated so well, that most people cant tell the difference And that is acceptable imo.

Im guessing that comment was in jest Hewitson, and i do see your point

State
    Central Coast NSW
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)
    You're kidding yourself mate.
    I think the emulators come very close, and from an actual gameplay perspective, you can load up many games on an emulator and play with joypad or arcade stick (or whatever original control mechanism) and gameplay wise you would not tell.

But for many (like me ), retro gaming is about more than just the pixels. Like playing on my C64, sliding that 5.25 disk in to the drive and locking it in, typing in load"*",8,1 and then run when it is ready. Hearing the drive heads loading the data etc. It is about the overall experience for me.

But obviously it is just not possible for a game in the MGL to be announced each week and we all head out to the arcade board storage shed and grab the game board to play. Mame and emulators in general allow a wider range of players to get involved and that has to be a good thing.
    Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information