Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CPU advice---General gaming

furballx

• Administrators

Guys, I am looking to upgrade my computer on Thursday. I like a first preson shooter, but I do not want to pump the res up to the max like some players. What I want is som advice on CPU to give me the ability to run games at a reasonable rate without breaking the bank. I read a review from late 2009 that said the high end Intel I5 CPUs were running almost on par with the low end I7s as far as gaming performance went. I am attracted to the high end I5 due to price, and I am not a component by component upgrader, prefering to do the lot in one go and shifting my old stuff down to Mrs Furbs machine. Because I roll this way I do not care if the CPU I buy is not going to be upgradeable to future I7s due to the different socket.

So the simple question.........based on wanting to play new games at REASONABLE res and no plans to upgrade for a few years, which would you buy

Intel CORE i5 760/2.8HGz/8MB CACHE/LGA1156 @$212 approx

or

Intel CORE i7 870/2.93GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1156@$312approx???

Thanks,

Dave

• Administrators

Thanks again for the replies fellas. I put the system together with the I5 760 and it screams. Been playing Crysis all day at 1920x1080 at High detail and it is as pretty as a picture. First time user of Windows 7 as well (I never jump on MS products when they are forst released) and I am very impressed. AMD guys, thanks for the input, but I remember the days when AMDs failed 1 in 10 CPUs straight out of the box. A mate of mine bought one, returned it, only to find that the return failed as well! I just cannot get over that for the sake of a few dollars saving.

Dave

I remember the days when

Computer hardware changes faster than anything on the planet. Reminiscing about days gone buy won't guarantee you the same quality (or lack thereof) today.

What you probably remember is the days when AthlonXP CPUs didn't have heat spreaders on them, and people constantly cracked them when putting too much pressure on their heatsinks. Those days are long gone now, as they all have heat spreaders. Indeed, I've seen more people bugger up the new Intel motherboards with pins on them in the last 12 months than I've seen people crack AMD CPUs "back in the day".

FWIW, this isn't a "buy this hardware, and not that hardware" post. Just a "basing opinions on hardware from 5 years ago doesn't give you a fair comparison" post. :)

Either way, the i5 is a good chip, and has plenty of grunt. It'll serve you well.