Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sydney arcade photos circa 1980

Great pictures. Holy Cow, I think I went to school with that Darren guy. If its the same guy, he and other classmates would spend ages on Gauntlet.

Great memories in the George St arcades. Nothing of interest in George St anymore sadly. I am starting to sound like an old codger referring to the "good old days" but they were a magical exciting time. . Post more retro arcade pics please.

Gauntlet_game_flyer.png.4f517e159d707a2d4d205895b4d0bcee.png

• Like 1

quick update cause sneaking this post at work..visited john williams today who used to work at big top on george street sydney..

i couldn't borrow photos to scan but have copies via my phone which i'll post in the next few days..there are 2 photos taken inside big top which are the first to surface..

@johns_arcade pm me your mobile number and i'll sms them straight away..

• Like 1

I love that photo of Timezone and Playtime together! I always thought they were the same company and LAI changed the name to Timezone at some point. Anyone know who owns Playtime?

As far as I know Associated Leisure did.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have images of arcades in the 90's ?? Would love to see how the good old Timezones's and Playtimes looked as I remember them.

I have 80's pics

Thought i had some 90's somewhere...

• Like 1

• Administrators

I remember the staircase in the middle of the centre, but I don't remember it being yellow. It went from the ground floor behind the counter up to level 1 and you could see through gaps in the steps.

I even remember seeing Westworld, this new arcade, just before it opened for business. The excitement was incredible because they had so many dedicated machines that we could see through the glass doors and they were all new games. A new sit down SEGA Star Trek and a new BALLY MIDWAY Tron was in that centre for starters. Magic!

I put many a coin into that Star Trek. It was the only place I ever saw it and it's one of the main reasons I put a spinner in one of my cabs. I LOVE starting a game and hearing Leonard Nimoy say "Welcome aboard Captain".

Was it Westworld that had the escalators to go upstairs. I know it was 3 levels of arcade goodness. Played a lot of Loderunner there on a cocktail machine on the second floor.

Brad

- - - Updated - - -

and a cockpit Red Baron (just to name a few). Although the Grand Prix closed many years ago, the building still stands. Its now a Flower Power garden centre!

The only place I ever saw and a Cockpit Red Baron was at Pier One in Sydney before they tore it down. Played that machine a LOT too.

Brad

• Like 1

I put many a coin into that Star Trek. It was the only place I ever saw it and it's one of the main reasons I put a spinner in one of my cabs. I LOVE starting a game and hearing Leonard Nimoy say "Welcome aboard Captain".

I remember playing that Startrek Cab every Wednesday after school sport finished. Spent a bit on that and agree the Nimoy voice is what made a kind of average game. Never saw one again, I wonder if there is a mame version of it someplace? I hope an AA member actually owns one..

• Like 1

Great pictures. Holy Cow, I think I went to school with that Darren guy. If its the same guy, he and other classmates would spend ages on Gauntlet.

Can you please tell us which school you went to with Darren?

I can find out which school he went to as I have a contact.

What was his surname?

Also you say you played the sit down Star Trek at Westworld in 1984.

What other games were in Westworld at that time?

- - - Updated - - -

do you recall the old escalator up to the 1st floor in Westworld ( they replaced the escalator with those stairs you mentioned, i remember them too. i think that happened around 86-87. the escalator was one way and to the left as you got to the 1st floor there was a glass framed door in a narrow corridor all painted yellow, set of stairs that went back down out onto the footpath. does it ring a bell ? )

Was it Westworld that had the escalators to go upstairs. I know it was 3 levels of arcade goodness. Played a lot of Loderunner there on a cocktail machine on the second floor

After thinking about it for a while, I remember when Westworld opened there was an escalator against the right wall as you entered Westworld.

You are probably correct about the exit on the left side as the escalator was one way.

Then I do remember the escalator was removed to allow more machines to be installed against the right wall on the ground level.

A stairway was installed to replace the escalator and it was like the one in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Brad what was your top score on Star Trek?

What other games do you remember in Westworld at the time?

Here is the beast as I remember it and a story to go with it too ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/StarTrekSitdown2_zps625c760b.jpg

When Westworld opened its doors on the first day, I was lucky enough to be there and a brand new sitdown SEGA Star Trek was on the ground floor, just to the right as you walk in.

From memory it was 2 x 20c coins for a game.

Westworld was a very special place since Taito showcased their games and other brands there, but they were all genuine dedicated machines.

By that I mean the original cabinets, artwork, pcbs and controls that A. Hankin and Co and well as Timezone 95% of the time did not import.

Taito as you know was the creator of Space Invaders, and when the craze hit they did extremely well.

But not long after copies of Space Invaders in generic cabs appeared and they lost many sales this way.

So being true to only providing games that are original, when they opened Westworld they only provided the magnificent original machines, including competitor machines.

So that sit down Star Trek that you guys mention that you only ever saw at Westworld and no where else, it's true, the only place I ever saw in Sydney with a sit down ST machine. And this is only one example ...

I saw a gorgeous brand new dedicated Crystal Castles at Westworld on the 1st floor later on, and never saw another one like it in Sydney ever. LAI had a generic cab CC and it was drab with a tiny trackball.

I even saw a generic CC with a joystick - rubbish to control a trackball game!

The only genuine "I Robot" from Atari that I ever saw was there too. But that is another story ...

And about that sitdown Star Trek at Westworld, one day this large sized guy walks in and plants himself in the captain's chair.

He barely fit in. He played and played and over a few weeks he became very good at the game, to the point that I think he could play that for an hour or more on one credit.

I watched him play a game and I can tell you he was very good. Then sadly as you know, you do not see these guys again, and it is now only a memory ...

I do not recall Westworld having 3 levels of games.

When it opened, I thought there was only 2 floors of games (ground and 1st level) and we always joked the 2nd level was a place of ill-repute, you know, in the tradition of Western saloons ... :laugh:

I do not recall any access for gamers to the 2nd level.

:)

Edited by OOO
  • Like 1

as far as 3 floors go, there may be some confusion as Crystal palace pool hall 763076247_001556.thumb.jpg.72fef4d2329b6844888e8c3c08bf83e3.jpg which is one of Sydney's oldest fun parlors. by the early 80s DODGE CITY AMUSEMENTS occupied this site929475694_000964.jpg.f184b3c79289aebcc3813dd76097bf89.jpg it closed in 83. some of the machines and pool tables found a new home above Timezone as CRYSTAL PALACE pool hall.1599002796_rapallodemolish.thumb.jpg.8b951f9e21468b6d985249c4bcf44040.jpg if you look closely you can see the awning sign for crystal palace. ( this photo was from a set documenting the demolition of the PARAMOUNT and RAPALLO cinemas in 83 which was replaced with the GREATER UNION in 84.)

and the following 1988 photo shows TIMEZONE and CRYSTAL PALACE entrances. [ATTACH=CONFIG]57428[/ATTACH] interestingly the pool hall closed not long after 88 and Timezone opened the 1st floor, thinking the great arcade boom would continue. they had not long opened a 2nd Timezone next door to city RSL, one block south. both the new TZ and the upper floor at the main TZ were shut in only a few years as i remember.

481028571_timezone87.jpg.7eb82f235e21bc3defd95ac4680fd876.jpg

• Like 1

What was his surname?

>will send u a pm

>I remember Dragons Lair, Joust and a weird game that had a cross bow type controller/gun, forgot its name.

So that sit down Star Trek that you guys mention that you only ever saw at Westworld and no where else, it's true, the only place I ever saw in Sydney with a sit down ST machine. And this is only one example ...

I saw a gorgeous brand new dedicated Crystal Castles at Westworld on the 1st floor later on, and never saw another one like it in Sydney ever. LAI had a generic cab CC and it was drab with a tiny trackball.

And about that sitdown Star Trek at Westworld, one day this large sized guy walks in and plants himself in the captain's chair.

He barely fit in. He played and played and over a few weeks he became very good at the game, to the point that I think he could play that for an hour or more on one credit.

I watched him play a game and I can tell you he was very good. Then sadly as you know, you do not see these guys again, and it is now only a memory ...

ok I had to hear the cool sounds from that Sega Startrek once more.. haven't heard them for over 25 years till now, found this on utube

• Like 1

• Administrators

What was his surname?

After thinking about it for a while, I remember when Westworld opened there was an escalator against the right wall as you entered Westworld.

You are probably correct about the exit on the left side as the escalator was one way.

Then I do remember the escalator was removed to allow more machines to be installed against the right wall on the ground level.

A stairway was installed to replace the escalator and it was like the one in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Brad what was your top score on Star Trek?

What other games do you remember in Westworld at the time?

Here is the beast as I remember it and a story to go with it too ...

When Westworld opened its doors on the first day, I was lucky enough to be there and a brand new sitdown SEGA Star Trek was on the ground floor, just to the right as you walk in.

From memory it was 2 x 20c coins for a game.

Westworld was a very special place since Taito showcased their games and other brands there, but they were all genuine dedicated machines.

By that I mean the original cabinets, artwork, pcbs and controls that A. Hankin and Co and well as Timezone 95% of the time did not import.

Taito as you know was the creator of Space Invaders, and when the craze hit they did extremely well.

But not long after copies of Space Invaders in generic cabs appeared and they lost many sales this way.

So being true to only providing games that are original, when they opened Westworld they only provided the magnificent original machines, including competitor machines.

I even saw a generic CC with a joystick - rubbish to control a trackball game!

The only genuine "I Robot" from Atari that I ever saw was there too. But that is another story ...

I do not recall Westworld having 3 levels of games.

When it opened, I thought there was only 2 floors of games (ground and 1st level) and we always joked the 2nd level was a place of ill-repute, you know, in the tradition of Western saloons ... :laugh:

I do not recall any access for gamers to the 2nd level.

You could be right on the 3 levels. I know the escalator was 1 way up only and you used great big wooden stairs to go back down. Upstairs from memory had an old converted bar I think and you had a number of games up there. I can't specifically remember what games but a number of cocktail cabs and uprights and maybe pool tables. The only game I distinctly recall playing up there was Lode Runner on a cocktail. I spent most time downstairs and yes the Star Trek was on the right against the wall.

Now I'm sure it was a venue further down on the same side, maybe the other side of Hoyts? where there was a large ground floor and right up the back they had a LOT of cabs along the walls. It might even be Westworld but I can't remember. It was here that I discovered Lasso and like Star Trek was the only place I ever saw it.

Brad

• Like 1

here is a photo of john williams who used to be one of the pinball techs at big top..he worked with johns_arcade

john was born deaf and dumb and had a pretty tough upbringing..he is an amazing em pinball tech..this photo was taken last monday..good to see john still active in the hobby..we figured out he is 68 years old20131111_100457.thumb.jpg.9c6e30f5be8c09e36107a2a23ccf729b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

here is a photo of john williams who used to be one of the pinball techs at big top..he worked with johns_arcade

john was born deaf and dumb and had a pretty tough upbringing..he is an amazing em pinball tech..this photo was taken last monday..good to see john still active in the hobby..we figured out he is 68 years old[ATTACH=CONFIG]57444[/ATTACH]

John would have to be one of the best (If not the best) EM tech's around. As a 16 year old it was fascinating to watch him repair Pins. I learnt a lot of repair skills from John Williams!

Thanks for posting up the pictures Tony!!

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

• Like 1

You could be right on the 3 levels. I know the escalator was 1 way up only and you used great big wooden stairs to go back down. Upstairs from memory had an old converted bar I think and you had a number of games up there. I can't specifically remember what games but a number of cocktail cabs and uprights and maybe pool tables. The only game I distinctly recall playing up there was Lode Runner on a cocktail. I spent most time downstairs and yes the Star Trek was on the right against the wall.

Now I'm sure it was a venue further down on the same side, maybe the other side of Hoyts? where there was a large ground floor and right up the back they had a LOT of cabs along the walls. It might even be Westworld but I can't remember. It was here that I discovered Lasso and like Star Trek was the only place I ever saw it.

I spent '84-'88 in the George St arcades, as I attended uni in Broadway. On the Hoyts side was Timezone and Westworld, the other had Orbit 600; was there another on that side too?

Westworld was definitely 2 levels, and 3 does vaguely ring a bell, at least for a while. I can't begin to tell you which specific machines were where though; and if memory serves an arcade existed in that building for quite some time after possibly changing hands. I do recall the 2nd level had more old school Japanese games after everything downstairs changed to pinballs, rhythm games and car racing simulators. So I hung out on the 2nd level most of the time.

My most vivid memories however, are of Orbit 600 in the aforementioned 80's. I played Juno First there for 6-1/2 hrs (one credit) once, on the left as you walked in just up the ramp. Nearby was also Star Force. Continuing along the left near the back was Gyruss and then a row of pinballs, most notably (for me) Centaur II and Spy Hunter. It was the first place I saw Dragon's Lair, on the right near the entrance.

EDIT2: There was also a 2-player cooperative shoot-em-up that we played in there as well... what was the name of it?

I also spent quite a lot of hours on Pitfall II, but my memory fails me as to which arcade that resided in. I don't think it was Orbit 600...

I would've spent a lot more time in there, except for the fact that we had an arcade at uni, with Juno First, Xevious, Defender, Pleiads, Elevator Action, Star Wars and a few other machines I never played.

I'm regretting the fact that I never had any interest what-so-ever in picking up a camera until about 5 years ago. I'd love to see some photos of those arcades from the 80's now.

One 'different' memory was of myself and a mate playing one of the pinballs that were situated out the front of one of the George St arcades. In the middle of the afternoon a couple of 'undesirable' characters stood behind as us we played. One of them 'asked' us if we had any money. We largely ignored them and then one of them placed a rather pathetically small pocket-knife on the playfield glass as we played. I'd seen more dangerous plastic knives at a BBQ. We continued to ignore them and after about 30s they picked it up and walked away. It was about 3pm on a busy weekday!

EDIT: Now that I re-read my post, I'm pretty sure I played a few games of Lode Runner on the cocktail in Westworld too! :o

• Like 1

• Administrators

Me and mates never spent loads of time at Orbit for some reason. I do remember playing a bit of Tempest there though as they had that near the front. I think they also had a Hyperpin pinball machine.

Brad

• Like 1

EDIT2: There was also a 2-player cooperative shoot-em-up that we played in there as well... what was the name of it?

Machines moved around in Orbit 600, but there was a unique 2 player co-op shmup game called Exed Exes placed in the left aisle corner BEHIND the main counter.

Xevious, Juno First, Star Force, Time Pilot, Defender and Exerion were not co-op as you know, so Exed Exes was very special in that way for a shmup - and ate a lot of money too, with continues, another new feature for a shmup.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/ExedExes2_zps7d8d5695.jpg

• Like 1

This is a cool thread! I wish there was one like it for Brisbane!

OOO - Were you the fat guy who was very good at playing Star Trek?! :p

tcdev - I also wished I took some photos of my favorite arcade places in the old days! But back then if you were a 15 year old walking around with a camera taking photos you woulda got beat up for being a geek! I don't recall ever taking a photo of anything until I was older. It isn't like today where everyone has a camera on their phone that can fit in their pocket!

80sOgre - I love the 'License to Drive' poster on the door in your last photo!

That John Williams sounds like an amazing guy. A real life Pinball Wizard, only not blind! It's awesome someone who is deaf an dumb can become such a skilled technician. I struggle to learn this stuff and I have no disability. :unsure

• Like 1

OOO - Were you the fat guy who was very good at playing Star Trek?! :p

I didn't say he was fat, just very large ... :)

And you know I wouldn't mind being that big if I could play Star Trek as well as he could. He was really good ... :045:

That John Williams sounds like an amazing guy. A real life Pinball Wizard, only not blind! It's awesome someone who is deaf an dumb can become such a skilled technician.

I agree, what a legend!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the other arcade was Space Shuttle. it closed in 88.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57616[/ATTACH]

Ah that sounds familiar. But for some reason, all my memories are Orbit 600... I'm guessing that Space Shuttle didn't have any of the machines that I liked!?! Although it's possible that I played Pitfall II there, as I do know it wasn't at Orbit 600...

• Like 1