Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cleaning legs etc of rust

Darksoul

Question

I experimented with Rainex Rustbuster as a cleaner for machine legs and a few other parts. Overall results have been outstanding.

http://www.users.on.net/~bradandpam/pics/buster.jpg

Follow the product safety precautions! Wear gloves and glasses, don't breathe in fumes. Product contains phosphoric acid.

To clean 4 legs of heavy rust....

PROCEDURE:

1. Prepare the following:

- disposable plastic container (empty margarine container).

- large bucket of clean water or running tap/hose.

- tennis ball size piece of "0000" (fine) grade steel wool and "00"/"000" grade steel wool.*

- disposable gloves, eye protection.

- old toothbrush.

- wire brush.

* green scouring pad (scothbrite etc) can be used as a replacement for the 00 or 000 steel wool.

2. Remove all loose rust/dirst/oil from the inside of the legs, particularly at the bottom near the leg leveller hole with the wire brush and toothbrush.

3. Put on gloves and eye protection. Pour out about 100ml of Rustbuster into the disposable container.

4. Turn tap on or fill bucket and have on hand.

5. Dab "0000" steel wool into rustbuster. Work all over the front face of a leg for about 20 seconds and then begin scrubbing firmly (but not hard) for another 20-30 seconds. Rinse off well and inspect result. Repeat again if required. ALways finish off by rinsing well in the water.

DO NOT use scourer or "00"/"000" steel wool on the front of the leg, it will scratch the chrome ever so lightly.

6. Repeat procedure for inside of leg with "00"/"000"/scouring pad, especially at the bottom, use toothbrush to get into the corner.

7. Dry off leg with a clean rag. Leave in sun to fully dry for a while.

8. Repeat for other legs.

9. Polish front face of legs with a little Autosol.

Here is the result. Both legs were from a set and in the same condition. Each leg only takes about 5 minutes to do!

http://www.users.on.net/~bradandpam/pics/legs1_800x600.JPG

http://www.users.on.net/~bradandpam/pics/legs2_800x600.JPG

11 answers to this question

I've got 4 legs that DavidAVD kindly gave me, are these too far gone for restoration? Just want to check before proceeding. I have brought some Autosol Metal Polish and that got rid of minor rust. I just tried on the lower part of the leg (the one closest to the edge of the table).

1140984760_PinballRustyLegs002.thumb.jpg.f740074dbc7ef01dc47b068938dcd08c.jpg