Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rancho Relaxo Basement Games Room

The lone candy cab awaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Jokes on me - for the next 8 or 9 years upstairs is my kids toy room once the floor is refinished.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a dungeon level yet [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is coming in the next reno.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Is there a dungeon level yet [emoji846]

Never mind that, will it take the weight of two fat bastards and a pinball? Needs to be an extra heavy duty lift I reckon :)

Awesome work Leigh, great to see you got the lift in. Be more tempting to go down there now it is so much more accessible.

Still the best thread ever!!

Thanks again for sharing and keep the updates coming.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all, congrats for the incredible project! :) I wish I had that kind of free room, living in the heart of a very old city (2000 years more or less) in a very old building (built in 1880) isn't really ideal for a pinball collector. Thick supporting walls, relatively small rooms, veeery high ceilings (that are basically useless for this kind of hobby).

4. Lighting. Totally overlooked in a lot of builds. If you have the right lighting you don't need PDI glass. For me with a displayed collection as large as I've got, PDI glass is just not an option ($20k on glass, no thanks). You want indirect lighting that points at the ceiling. In a dark room like the batcave this is going to mean you're going to need a metric shit-tonne of it, but its still doable. The absolute best solution for lighting is track lighting. With LED lights there is almost no limit to the amount of light you can add to a room. If like me you don't want to move your track lights each time you want to work on a game, you'll need at least 1 other type of GI lighting in the room. I went with downlights in the main gamesroom.

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your point, but this is the only thing I don't agree on, based on my experience: it's absolutely true lighting is the most overlooked aspect of builds, but indirect lighting that points at the ceiling is the absolute worst thing you can have with a pinball collection. When the ceiling diffuses light, it's gonna get reflected, no doubt about it. It just becomes a giant milky stain on all your machines, regardless of their position - I know 'cause I've made that mistake, and now I'm gonna spend more money to completely change my setup. The ideal lighting is a spot light on the ceiling behind the player, directly pointing at the machine, positioned back enough so the spot isn't reflected on the glass (but you don't need much distance); about the ceiling, the darker it is, the better it is. An ideal setup would be a black ceiling with LED spot lights (with adjustable color temperature) on a track.

• 3 months later...
First of all, congrats for the incredible project! :) I wish I had that kind of free room, living in the heart of a very old city (2000 years more or less) in a very old building (built in 1880) isn't really ideal for a pinball collector. Thick supporting walls, relatively small rooms, veeery high ceilings (that are basically useless for this kind of hobby).

I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your point, but this is the only thing I don't agree on, based on my experience: it's absolutely true lighting is the most overlooked aspect of builds, but indirect lighting that points at the ceiling is the absolute worst thing you can have with a pinball collection. When the ceiling diffuses light, it's gonna get reflected, no doubt about it. It just becomes a giant milky stain on all your machines, regardless of their position - I know 'cause I've made that mistake, and now I'm gonna spend more money to completely change my setup. The ideal lighting is a spot light on the ceiling behind the player, directly pointing at the machine, positioned back enough so the spot isn't reflected on the glass (but you don't need much distance); about the ceiling, the darker it is, the better it is. An ideal setup would be a black ceiling with LED spot lights (with adjustable color temperature) on a track.

I have both types of lighting in this space, track with spots behind you, and diffuse pointed at the ceiling. The diffuse is better, no contest. I’m guessing your lights were/are too bright for the space.

• 1 month later...
Going over this Thread again as i love it! @sleazius In the first few pictures i noticed how green it was up your way, But last year at the Barn meet it was so dry. Are the fires close and is it still dry up that way? Oh yeah i am the guy that gave you the Maiden beer have you still got it and better still do you still have the Maiden Pin?

Going over this Thread again as i love it! @sleazius In the first few pictures i noticed how green it was up your way, But last year at the Barn meet it was so dry. Are the fires close and is it still dry up that way? Oh yeah i am the guy that gave you the Maiden beer have you still got it and better still do you still have the Maiden Pin?

It’s even worse now, we’ve had virtually no rain in the last year.

Closest fire is north west of Sydney in the National Park, however we had a small fire in the week leading up to the catastrophic day about a km away.

I’ve still got the beer! haven’t got the game.

Oh still no rain not good, On the fire front hopefully some rain comes soon. I have had 2 very close calls where i live and it is very scary. Bad one about 10 years ago that ripped through Vic was stopped basically in my back paddock and had another close call when i was at Toads meet last year in February i think. On the Maiden game i hope you replaced it with something better, I do love that game.

Oh still no rain not good, On the fire front hopefully some rain comes soon. I have had 2 very close calls where i live and it is very scary. Bad one about 10 years ago that ripped through Vic was stopped basically in my back paddock and had another close call when i was at Toads meet last year in February i think. On the Maiden game i hope you replaced it with something better, I do love that game.

The Maidens were belonging to Furbs and Mickelh