Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flashing lamps

as I remember them - they were there from the factory for added "glitz" - it was about all they could do then......when I worked on them for an operator (all those years ago) we were always told to make sure they were working before we left a machine after repair on site (and replace them if not - I alway carried a box or two for spares in the ute) as it was about as good an 'attract mode' as they had in those days....

• 6 years later...

It has been asked on Pinside which bulbs in a backbox are meant for a flashing bulb

Thought I would post my answer here also

Inside backbox of Card Whiz

OK, as you can see, one socket (center right) is not like the others

This is the socket meant for a flashing bulb

As you can also see, the bulb is not part of the GI string. It is on the same line as the GAME OVER lamp

So the flashing bulb only comes on when the game is over and does not distract you when you are playing

114690621_thisoneA.jpg.54feb81e9d168c28d26882e2507e91fe.jpg

I use to use them in some early solid state machines too as well as EM's under the some plastics and backglass in the GI . Expensive compared to standard globes but once they warmed up they began to flash a filament would expand and contract to make a blinking motion. It was the mod of the times.

GE 45 was the part number of a flashing GE 44 and all Gottliebs used them in the game over socket although some games had one or two extra on the backbox as well.

They were still being used in all System 1 machines as well. I don't know when the factory stopped using them.

They had a bi-metal strip in them that once hot would momentarily break the connection till it cooled down and remake the circuit till it heated up again.

A fairly rugged bulb actually that could last for years or die after a year.

An easy way to see where they were used was the wood in the backbox around the socket was rounded out because the bulb was round not oval in shape and wouldn't fit in a normal socket because the wood would hit the glass preventing the 45 bulb from going completely in the socket.

Where as a 44 bulb's glass is no larger than the base, the 45's glass bulged out. To fix this a pair of side cutters could be spun in the wood to scrap out the edges of the wood to allow the fat glass to get in far enough for the bulb to go into the socket properly.

Many an operator did this trick to bling his EM.

I have a "Jungle Princess" and they put a flasher behind the top of the volcano

I replaced it with a LED colour change (slow flash) and it looks pretty good

As someone already mentioned - it does not come on until game over

JP.thumb.jpg.fc4ad4a3cd9502fbe84c23ec03ea14c2.jpg

I also have "Royal Flush" and the flashers are behind the name

Same thing - they come on when game over