Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CPS-1 Layer Handling?

RetroRepair

Question

Am I to assume the C board deals with this aspect of the system or is it handled elsewhere?

I have a Final Fight bootleg that works fine but the sprites stay on top of the bg layers, in other words, they don't appear through doorways, they walk through walls :o

I know it's not the A board and I doubt it's the B board. I'm pretty sure Final Fight used a different CPS-B IC other than what I have on this one though, it's an 02. Not heared the same complant from others with this bootleg though, maybe something should be jumpered.. Both B and C boards are boots where as the A is a Capcom original.

Is there any resource with documentation on these C board chips?

2 answers to this question

I'm not aware of any specific docs on those chips.

CPS1 boards are a pain to work on at the best of times, specifically the main boards (due to the B board obscuring most of the components).

Did you know that there are schematics available for Forgotten Worlds:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Forgotten%20Worlds%20(Capcom)%20CPS%20Schematics.pdf

This might give you a general feel for the boards (bearing in mind that the main boards went through a few revisions and, of course, there are various types of B and C boards depending on the game).

Yeah I had to replace the RAMs on one of these a while ago and those SIP packages make life difficult let alone not being able to get at them while it's on.

I hear this boot is supposed to run as the original did though so something is off. Probably a busted track or through hole somewhere. I'll find it eventually :)

Thanks for the schematic on Forgotten Worlds though, it'll likely prove very useful :)