Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

1940 in 1 - Help! can I ......

andykmv

Question

helping a friend get a machine setup for her partner and just got a 1940 in 1 board etc etc delivered.

can the 1940-1 board be configured to display Vertical Games like Time Pilot, sinistar, pacman in the correct orientation (ie veritical) ? and how ?

can i create my own game lists ? and how ?

- for example "Multi-Williams" with defender stargate robotron moonpatrol sinistar bubbles splat blaster mystic marathon joust etc...!

has anyone ever changed the inbuilt roms:

- from Crush Roller to Williams Make Trax ? (not yet sure how many changes)

- from 1942 to Williams 1942 (IIRC one or two rom file changes)

Edited by andykmv

24 answers to this question

hmmm. did a bit of browsing on xxxx in 1 forum and got a few tips but not enough to deconfuse the setup.

so i dived right on in, hooked up the HDD to my desktop and copied over the key files i needed off the hdd to my laptop and discovered the following:

1. The 1940-1 uses a version of Mamewah - exe files renamed and a bunch of config chaning scripts installed too.

2. the HDD is partitioned into three partitons:

2.1 Drive C: is the Windows 2000 boot containing most of the software

2.2 Drive D: contains the game roms (have to dbl check my notes as the original copied directory structure has morphed as i made mods in aattempt to understand)

2.3 Hidden partition containing unknown contents (have not investigated yet).

3. There are a number of versions of the MAME emulator installed, in addition to other emulators.

4. the game launching code looks like it may be customised software or/and compiled versions of batch files including the various application software calls. some apps have had their exe file names renamed to suit the product designer, and possibly sonme of the config file name calls modded to so they look a little diff form the original mamewah etc setup (harder to duplicate).

5. the batch files appear to modify the configuration of either mamewah or [4. above] to use the diff emulators.

6. the mamewah config files are a pain in the but to get a handle on but once you do it is pretty easy!

7. the mamewah layout files etc are a bit of a mystery but it is falling into lace with hacking around.

8. the mamewah docos/tutorials available in text form are scattered, sketchy at best and incomplete.

i found and installed mamewah 1.62 and the Mamewah Config program to suit on my laptop, and after hacking around bit by bit the config file setup is finally starting to make some sense to the point where i have a working replica 1940-in-1 mamewah config and main menu startup process with a chunk of the mame games launching ok under a current mame version. i have not tackled the versions of the mame installed on the 1940-in-1 as yet, as i think this is where the bactch files used start to modify the config files to suit the version of mame running and/or modify the directory structure/pointers in the config files. I will do more with teh older mame version setups after i do a full image backup and can mount it to fully explore the installed software and batch files/scripts so i can fully understand the changes being wrought on the configuration files before each emulator version or type is launched. i will probably buy an updated version of acronis or paragon hdd software to image it, mount it & view it so i can replicate all of the config with the exception ofthe ppyjoy and the vgatvwin software (which i will have to do on real hardware).

the aim of this exercise is to fully understand the win2000 setup so that others can understand how to replicate it on XP without having to ask for a hdd image copy (ie install your own xp, add the software to make the 1940-in-1 mamewah and emulators work, then add the sw necessary to make the jamma hardware work).

to achieve this i will ha ve to absorb a lot of info so it will take some time.

got some other projects to finish first though so i will come back to this soon!

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

can the 1940-1 board be configured to display Vertical Games like Time Pilot, sinistar, pacman in the correct orientation (ie veritical) ? and how ?

answered this question now. mamewah &/or mame config change. did the -autoror on the mame emulator command line in the mamewah config file iirc and got the auto vertical orientation change. - to be investigated for integration into my xp setup once i get scripting process down pat.

can i create my own game lists ? and how ?

- for example "Multi-Williams" with defender stargate robotron moonpatrol sinistar bubbles splat blaster mystic marathon joust etc...!

answered this question now. mamewah config change. mamewah config file changes

- to be investigated for integration into my xp setup once i get scripting process down pat.

has anyone ever changed the inbuilt roms:

- from Crush Roller to Williams Make Trax ? (not yet sure how many changes)

- from 1942 to Williams 1942 (IIRC one or two rom file changes)

answered this question now.

- i have already tested this rom file change successfully in MAME

- small mamewah config file changes needed to update game names in the game lists.

- to be integrated into my xp setup once i understand the gamelist auto updating process.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

there are lots of broken links, abandoned website domains, and abandoned software projects out there associated with the sw used in the 1940-in-1 product.

when i get a moment i will add the useful 1940-in-1 links to my LINKS pages.

• Administrators
sending you to THIS SITE has been a welath of info for me doing my XXXX in 1

read up brother

Hate to say it man but only 1% of the content on that site I found useful. very few people actually explain how they did their mods, just a lot of chest beating and pics to show them off.

I recently got given a 1066 in 1 rev 1.1 and changed the motherboard, installed XP and running GameEX with a AGP graphics card so I can run soft15khz and run the games at their correct resolutions.

Because these things use parallel game pad emulation I've had a hard time assigning an escape key to a joystick. I have been using a program called Xpadder but every time I run gameex as a shell it disables it :(

I've used that xxxx-1 site for years and found it to be extremely useful for all manner of mods to xxxx systems. Using the guides there I've added laser disc support, most 16 bit consoles, and amiga / c64.

Just don't expect to find things too easily! Some things are worth digging for though.

Word of warning re commando image: don't assume all xxxx-1 systems are the same....The newer revisions [within around the last year manufac date] have different brand mother/daughter board and commando's image is based on the older revision, which has caused some major headaches for some users with newer hardware looking for a short cut.

sounds good - thanks dave!

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

... very few people actually explain how they did their mods....

yeah thats about where i got to. enough hints to get mamewah working with a specific version which was fantastic! i am planning to fill in the gaps myself and post the extra info too. means i will also need to troll thru commandos notes too and add them in as well so should end up with a reasonable reverse engineering report. for that board revision at least.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I've used that xxxx-1 site for years and found it to be extremely useful for all manner of mods to xxxx systems......[&]... don't assume all xxxx-1 systems are the same........

that's why i figured i would reverse engineer the sw needed onto my own xp, and document the build/.config process to make it easier for others to apply those packages in a suitably configured way to basic xp builds themselves.

then i can do some chest beating too! but with more info provided...:D

Hey All,

It seems like my name has been mentioned enough times here to warrant a response..

OK to run thru the list..

1% of the content on that site I found useful. very few people actually explain how they did their mods, just a lot of chest beating and pics to show them off.

Dunno who this reference is to? what do you want to know? I dont recall ever seeing you post any questions or starting any threads on the x-in-1 site. If you've been lurking in the background then maybe you should pipe up sometime:rolleyes

Over the past year i've provided specifics on all my hardware mods including photos and links on where to buy components. i've also taken the time to share copies of my drive with anyone whose requested it - so its not exactly chest beating stuff.

Because these things use parallel game pad emulation I've had a hard time assigning an escape key to a joystick. I have been using a program called Xpadder but every time I run gameex as a shell it disables it :(

As for assigning an escape key - just hold down 1P Start and 1P Button A for 3 seconds. that issues an escape command and can be used to shutdown most emulators.

also instead of using xpadder, give joy2key a go. that way you can setup the controls on emulators that only take keyboard commands - like nullDC.

Word of warning re commando image: don't assume all xxxx-1 systems are the same....The newer revisions [within around the last year manufac date] have different brand mother/daughter board and commando's image is based on the older revision, which has caused some major headaches for some users with newer hardware looking for a short cut.

yeah tell me about it! towards the end of last year all i was hearing was complaints that my drive wasnt plug & play afterall! its funny how the x-in-1 site is all about modding - which often involves hours/days/weeks of trial and error, however a lot of the members on that site just want a pre-packaged solution that requires zero effort and zero cost. it took me over a year to build up my setup and get it all to work together. Some member spend a weekend of failed attempts and then chuck a massive tamtrum. ahhh good times!! Next!

means i will also need to troll thru commandos notes too and add them in as well so should end up with a reasonable reverse engineering report. for that board revision at least.

then i can do some chest beating too! but with more info provided...:D

no need to troll mate. anytime you have a question just ask! i reckon i could write a book on how to hack this thing, if only real life didnt get in the way! is that chest beating? :p

If youre really keen, I might decide to re-open the distribution channel to AA members. i'll be away for the next 3 weeks so we can pick this up when i get back if you want.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! just lost my reply post on submit due to a browser fault. Grrr. start again. :realmad: continuing on though...

cool :cool:.

my additional intent is to provide my friend, for who i am building an arcade game cabinet, with a complete info pack including repair/recovery/support process for him to use in the event of

- failure of any key component (hdd, motherboard, jammaboard), and

--- my absence (wants it going/modified and i am not around to help), or

--- absence of the 1940-in-1 board reseller's assistance (to repair/rebuild)

and,to ensure his game will be repairable/supportable into the future regardless if i am around or not.

Original product support (repair/support) will need to document

- contacts and resources for

---product suppliers (hardware, spare parts, artwork)

---integration supplier - ie me)

---support resources (supplier, help forums, spare parts)

- the basic installation & integration effort

---cabinet wiring [mains to suit marqee, on/off of AC mains, safety interlocks etc and IEC for game PSU],

---cabinet wiring [jamma],

---1940-1 board wiring [power supply, on/off],

---control panel controls & wiring

Original Configuration & Recovery Process will need to document

- original OS (or xp) setup (damn chinese windows!!)

- custom software setup to suit/support the basic hardware (motherboard, jammaboard, cabinet hardware/controls)

--- CGA display support

--- virtual joystick and other controls (parallel port and/or PS2) setup

- custom software setup to suit/support the standard games (1,940 of them)

- custom frontend software & skins (modified/obfuscated mamewah)

- custom emulator software (various versions and renamed/obfuscated mame build)

- scripts & files to manage mamewah/emu/game config files changes pre emulator launch & post emulator launch

- scripts and files used to manage mamewah game lists (add, modify, remove, reset)

Recovery Process will need

- documention of the final delivered configuration including any customisations

- supply of a restoration kit (docs, info, hardware, software, cables, imaged drive, optical drives, media etc)

- supply of install disks for each piece of software used with install/config/user docos

- documentation of configuration to suit the cabinet & controls used

- to supply and document any added/modified/deleted games - emulator used, roms used, config changes made

thats it in a nutshell. i have reached a stage where i have emulated the basic setup and layouts/front end and navigation on my laptop and got basic mame games working! so it is just a slog really to go from that to fully replicate & understand/document the 1940-1 config. hopefully with your assistance i can achieve the above, with the added benefit that others can make use of it.

just call me a masochist! i'm havin fun by the way

• Administrators
Hey All,

It seems like my name has been mentioned enough times here to warrant a response..

OK to run thru the list..

Dunno who this reference is to? what do you want to know? I dont recall ever seeing you post any questions or starting any threads on the x-in-1 site. If you've been lurking in the background then maybe you should pipe up sometime:rolleyes

Not having a go at any one in particular or the forum in general, just an observation.

I did admit however that my initial comment was harsh and I wasn't looking for information about modifying the original system core which I'm sure the site has plenty of information about.

back on track (sorry andy)

any info is good info trav and commando! not off track at all ;) whether it is observations, non information/info lack thereof or detailed/targetted information - anything that is a trigger or spur to look in a certain direction or to not look in a certain direction is good information; when hunting for knowledge, pointers to knowledge, or knowledge about knowledge, knowing where to look, how to look, and how much can or cannot be found when looking in various directions can yield volumes or volumes about volumes & improve efficiencies in efficient efficacy. :blink: where the heck did that come from :lol

Gents, sorry to drag up an old topic, but since the xxxx-in-1 site is no longer in existence I'd like to find out whether anyone here has kept any of the xxxx-in-1 guides or modification info around?

I have a 2100-in-1 Games Family board (I assume a rebranded BabyStar?) and I'd like to get into the guts of it. One of the big issues I find is that any changes I make on the C: drive gets reset every time I reboot. I just can't figure out whether it has some mechanism that re-images the hard disk every time - although that doesn't make sense because the machine boots in about 60-90 seconds, so I can't see how it can re-image an 8GB partition in that time...

I have copied files to the hard disk, reboot and it's GONE. Also, any changes made to the registry gets reset on reboot. This is driving me nuts.

Any info would be massively appreciated...

Cheers

Riaan

Gents, sorry to drag up an old topic, but since the xxxx-in-1 site is no longer in existence I'd like to find out whether anyone here has kept any of the xxxx-in-1 guides or modification info around?

I have a 2100-in-1 Games Family board (I assume a rebranded BabyStar?) and I'd like to get into the guts of it. One of the big issues I find is that any changes I make on the C: drive gets reset every time I reboot. I just can't figure out whether it has some mechanism that re-images the hard disk every time - although that doesn't make sense because the machine boots in about 60-90 seconds, so I can't see how it can re-image an 8GB partition in that time...

I have copied files to the hard disk, reboot and it's GONE. Also, any changes made to the registry gets reset on reboot. This is driving me nuts.

Any info would be massively appreciated...

Cheers

Riaan

Yep, I still have maniac's original document 'how to mod your xxxx-1' on a computer somewhere at home. I'll drop you a line if I find it.

Though, there is nothing in there that describes this issue. It sounds like the newer multi boards have some sort of script that checks for changes in the hdd since last boot, and wipes them. That sucks... Might be worth doing some sherlocking around the windows startup on your image.

Yep, I still have maniac's original document 'how to mod your xxxx-1' on a computer somewhere at home. I'll drop you a line if I find it.

Though, there is nothing in there that describes this issue. It sounds like the newer multi boards have some sort of script that checks for changes in the hdd since last boot, and wipes them. That sucks... Might be worth doing some sherlocking around the windows startup on your image.

Thanks Chris, that would be great.

I have had a cursory look, but haven't been able to see anything unusual yet. I know they have some Ghost imaging software on the machine to back up the hard disk, maybe that is what is doing this... these guys were pretty clever with their software.

I'm just having one heck of a hard time with the stripped down Chinese XP. It is almost as if it is running a Virtual Machine, and if so it would make perfect sense. No changes I make in the OS, sticks. But I'll do more digging when I have a bit more time on my hands - and yes, I will document what I find and share it. Shared knowledge is always a good thing.

Cheers again

Riaan

I'm sure I read something in the old xxxxin1 forum ages ago about a shadow program ? maybe ???

I had the same problem and found a small paragraph about it.

I left it for to long before I got back to try and mod the xxxxin1 and by then the site shutdown.

I haven't touch the box since.

I'd be interested in this fix too as i have no clue how to make the changes.

maybe check the boot ini for clues? just a random thought :unsure

Edited by mystico
added random thought

I'm sure I read something in the old xxxxin1 forum ages ago about a shadow program ? maybe ???

I had the same problem and found a small paragraph about it.

I left it for to long before I got back to try and mod the xxxxin1 and by then the site shutdown.

I haven't touch the box since.

I'd be interested in this fix too as i have no clue how to make the changes.

maybe check the boot ini for clues? just a random thought :unsure

This is great, at least we can get the conversation going again. I have sent @Commando a PM as well, but it appears he is not currently active. It's pretty much guaranteed he'll know more than I do about this system.

I'll have a look at the boot.ini and let you you what I find.

Thanks Chris, that would be great.

I have had a cursory look, but haven't been able to see anything unusual yet. I know they have some Ghost imaging software on the machine to back up the hard disk, maybe that is what is doing this... these guys were pretty clever with their software.

I'm just having one heck of a hard time with the stripped down Chinese XP. It is almost as if it is running a Virtual Machine, and if so it would make perfect sense. No changes I make in the OS, sticks. But I'll do more digging when I have a bit more time on my hands - and yes, I will document what I find and share it. Shared knowledge is always a good thing.

Cheers again

Riaan

there are multiple spots on the multiple partitions on the HDD that contain the same info. There is one master and a backup of sorts. But I don't think that it does any copying over.

when I was first modding mine, I followed Maniac's guide which said when adding new game roms, to mod the details in multiple places, but later found that you only needed to mod things like game lists and .bat files and launch scripts etc on the one (master) partition.

I have been thinking about this and perhaps you might be changing the info on the wrong hdd partition, and that's why it isn't appearing ? If you can detail exactly what you are trying to change, and on what partition, I reckon I might be able to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: some kind folk have uploaded Maniac's guide and here it is! the imaging methods are very old so you can ignore those, but all the info on how to add games, edit game lists, change the home screen, that's all there :)

http://www.oilmist.com/helpfile/xxxx-in-1-help-file.pdf

Chris, thanks again, there's a few beers in it for you if you ever come to Wellington!

I managed to get a bit more info - the 40GB IDE hard disk has three partitions, C: is unlabeled and contains the ROMs, emulators and MAMEWah config. Drive D: is labelled "Games" and contains a folder called "filebak" which has a bunch of backups of config files, etc.

Then there is a hidden partition (RXC_SERVICE), which contains PowerQuest PartitionMagic and I assume it's THIS that recreates the image every time on boot. Just an assumption though.

More as and when I find it.

Chris, thanks again, there's a few beers in it for you if you ever come to Wellington!

I managed to get a bit more info - the 40GB IDE hard disk has three partitions, C: is unlabeled and contains the ROMs, emulators and MAMEWah config. Drive D: is labelled "Games" and contains a folder called "filebak" which has a bunch of backups of config files, etc.

Then there is a hidden partition (RXC_SERVICE), which contains PowerQuest PartitionMagic and I assume it's THIS that recreates the image every time on boot. Just an assumption though.

More as and when I find it.

I'll drink to that :)

It sounds like apart from OS and drivers, your XP image is identical to the Win2K, it uses the same three partition image, I've always wondered what that third partition does. I know it's not a standard windows partition as it is non readable. you need a decent imaging program to copy these HDD"s, as some cannot copy that third non-windows partition and that's why some people's images fail. I've used Acronis Self-image over the last 8 or so years of owning my cab and never had issues - have restored and backed up countless times.

The Babystar system uses a shell replacement system to 'lock out' windows in a sense - or that's the way it worked with Win2k. I could never get into the OS but also the Chinese language is a barrier even if you do get in. All my mods have been done by removing the HDD, placing it in an IDE Caddy on another computer and editing the files. A much simpler way would be to add network support and then you could simply browse your local network and access your gamebox files that way, but yeah - means you need to add networking support and then you get the chinese language barrier again.

maybe your issues are related to the game lists ? ie, the changes not showing up. There is a strict and annoying process you need to follow when adding games and the smallest omission or even leaving out a line feed when formatting your list means your changes wont show up...

I'm posting to an old thread I know but I've searched all over amd can't find a working link to the "xxxx-in-1-help-file.pdf". The one in this thread no longer works, nor does similar FTP links I've found. Does anyone have a copy they can link to or PM me?

Update: Found it on another thread - thanks out to user Crazyau!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/49812-Customised-HDD-image-for-xxxx-1-systems-inc-Laserdisc-Games-anyone-want-one?p=1172489#post1172489

Edited by ghaleous