Thread: Mgl christmas game 1: Mortal kombat

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1405 Post(s)

Getting the buttons configured correctly makes a fair difference

Got 1x flawless (using all the one move, the cheap shot of jump + high kick from a distance) but haven't a clue about fatalities, guess I better look those up if I want some better points. Enjoying the game though, it's not too bad at all.

In the end got my arse aerobi-cised by Sonya, felt like i'd been beaten to a pulp by Olivia Newton-John.

State
    adelaide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    judging by the post count this game has been a roaring success.

State
    wa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Ah nothing says seasons greetings quite like a dangling spinal cord .

I've only recently got back into fighting games after getting cp wizard sorted on the cab, it makes a huge difference being able to check moves and combos rather than having to rely on button mashing all the time.

I was playing MK the other night during a bbq and telling a mate (who's younger and never played it) that when it came out Sub Zero's fatality was the most violent thing I'd ever seen in a computer game and imo there's a lot to like about MK, it added plenty of interesting stuff rather than being just another SF clone. Anyway don't think I've ever got to Gorro on one credit but have beaten at least the first endurance match, as you can see in the pic my best this week is getting slayed during the mirror match.

One final comment on MK it must have the most pointless mini game of all time with the super easy stone smashing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

State
    adelaide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you given this a bash yet dkong??

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    mk.zip

Cheers,
    brad
    cheers brad

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Managed 30,000 odd so far But i will persist. Im guessing there are some "special" maneuvers, as i have done some strange things by accident.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1405 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post
    Managed 30,000 odd so far But i will persist. Im guessing there are some "special" maneuvers, as i have done some strange things by accident.
    Good on ya for persisting

I've found that with most characters moving the joystick in a half circle (ie from R - D - L or L - D - R) and pressing [something!] usually does [some stuff] ! Scientific approach, eh ? I'd like to hear some tips from the higher scoring players like Henry and Tav.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammasized View Post
    I'd like to hear some tips from the higher scoring players
    Me too, it seems at the higher levels that they dodge everything you throw at them, like they are psychic and know your every move before you do, how can you beat that?

I can often get a double flawless + fatality on the first fight which nets 1,000,000+ from just one opponent, then it goes down hill....

State
    wa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Like most fighters the diagonal jump kick is a good basic attack especially for getting those early perfect rounds. You should be getting 1mil + for the first opponent for a double perfect fatality but I only worry about perfects for the first 2 or 3 fights then its just survival, which is more fun anyway .

Maybe I just dont know the good oppenings but the computer always seems to be very good at blocking the fireball type attacks anyway so I only ever throw in a couple of random freezes when playing as sub zero, there is a decent pause after doing that type of attack which is a good oppening for attacking because the computer opponents will use them alot, scorpion throws that bloody rope dart if you even think of doing... well anything.

Either way pay attention to that pause, when you're doing a fireball/freeze there's a distance (bit over a jump kick?) where you can fireball and still block in time if the other guy uses his fireball, inside that and in the later rounds you'll often notice them ducking and hitting back... or if fighting scorpion you'll just here 'come here!"

What Sub Zero does have is his slide kick which can get a second hit in while falling, so my two basic attacks are:
    jump kick then slide and
    freeze, upper cut then slide

I'd guess some of the other characters can do similar second attacks, maybe sonya's leg flip or johnnys shadow kick? but there was a reason why Sub was so popular when this came out.

If you're crounching down and getting hit with straight punches the straight little leg kick is handy to give you room to jump away. The upper cuts are the strongest hit in the game and you can also time them to hit someone attacking you with a jump kick.

Like I said above if anyone is using a cabinet it's nice to get cp wizard or something similar that uses the command.dat so that you can pause and check the moves. Particuarly when a few people are playing, we've used it to have a few seconds each to pick a move or two then we get into it, lots more fun then random button mashing.

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henrybulldog View Post
    you given this a bash yet dkong??
    Not yet, but will

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information