1434 Post(s)

Mgl 12 game 3: Qix [finished]

KANE has us all drawing the line with his nomination

ROM AND DIP SWITCHES

ROMSet: Qix.zip

DIP Switches: Nothing to see here

More Info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=9185

Qix Description:

Draw boxes to claim as much screen as possible without getting in the path of the "Qix" and "Sparx". Draw slower for more points and hope that you have enough coins.

NOTE: Want to make a bit of a change to SCORE UPDATES - when you want to update your score, please post a NEW message, and NEW screen, instead of updating a previous post. Makes it easier for me to track new scores and update the progress scores ladder as the week goes on. Thanks

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 19th of December BY 7PM (NSW daylight savings time). This will be the last game before a short Christmas break, the MGL will return on January 2nd.

Last edited by Jed; 19th December 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Update progress scores

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Cool game, always liked this one, a very original idea and great gameplay. I'm not very good at it though, think I only got to the third or fourth round, and not very high scores on those rounds.

I wonder if we have any qix experts here?

Once again I won't have much time to play, but will give it a bit of a run.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)
    1st couple patterns you want to get the biggest % past 75 to help get the big score, then spilt the Qix for 2x
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)

77408 Dezbaz

click enlarge
    Last edited by dezbaz; 19th December 2010 at 02:24 PM.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Just had a qix go, got 37k on my first game found there are no "dips" for my qix.zip rom using mameplus!extended 0.140 so I assume the default is ok?
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Just had a qix go, got 37k on my first game found there are no "dips" for my qix.zip rom using mameplus!extended 0.140 so I assume the default is ok?
    Same here - cant find dips, but 3 lives are already default

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1434 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Yep there aren't any dips at all when you look in the game within mame settings, those ones I posted are from Twin Galaxy defaults for Mame - so nothing needs to be changed, can just play straight outta Mame.

Another unique game, lots of strategy with this if you want to get the big bonos at end of level. Think I kind of know the strategy, I struggle with executing it though

Last edited by Jed; 12th December 2010 at 05:47 PM.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)

I nomed this one because it's a great game and the sound is legendary, but I havn't played a whole lot of it. I think it might be one of those games where I'll play it all week and not improve any.

State
    King Island
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Interestingly, the top score at Twin Galaxies for QIX arcade is 1.6 million. I think that score is BS(others do too) ....anyway....there is a trick to this game....you can build a "sparks trap" (details on the net somewhere) this trap, traps the sparks, so you can play the game without having to worry about them killing you.

Good luck guys.....I'll be very interested in what scores you can get.

john

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)

Score 26382

doggonit! i just finished packing up the Qix for its new owner - why did it have to be now ?
    oh well. got about 54000 on the dedicated cab, and worked out a few strategies with the next door neighbour. problem was i zapped the high score table by accident back to defaults aaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

ok out with mame.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

and dont forget the strategy when you get to the dbl qix levels! - oh wait that'd be telling...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andykmv; 12th December 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    HookedOnDefender,TimePilot,CrushRoller,1942,Pacman [original ghost in the machine!] VIDS: DefenceCmnd, Defender(2),Stargate(2),Joust,Joust2,MoonPatrol,Ph oenix,PolePositionII, Pacman, MsPacman, DKJr, MarioBros, LunarRescue,SegaTurbo,FujiSpeedRace PINS: Gottlieb Gladiators WANTED: Robotron, Sinistar, Maketrax, Timepilot & Defender Pinball! SOLD:Qix,Qbert TRADED:Gorf

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information