Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MGL 12 - THE DIRTY DOZEN! Nominate your games here!

State
    wa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I like the 5 nom and 1 unnominate idea but I still hope people think a little before canning a game, fair enough if you just out right hate it or dont think it will work for the mgl but at the same time a bit of variety is nice. I suck at (and for the most part dont really enjoy) maze games but I'll play em and have even found a few I do like via the mgl so the occasional post 1990 game or even a fighter shouldnt kill the comp.

Also like the sunday start/finish but any chance of moving it as late as is convienient for you guys? Seeing as day light savings got canned over here till 2500 AD or something, 7pm AEST is only 4pm here and with kids I dont really get to play till the evening. i know it all works out as the same time but it makes it harder for any last minute improvements.

Just my 2 cents

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Could someone PM those that have not nommed yet? I have missed the start before, not everyone keeps an eye on the MGL section waiting. Has MGL12 been advertised on other sections of the forum? and that other forum? and anywhere else.

How's this for another idea, each time an MGL finishes a mod starts a thread for the next one and everyone can subscribe to that with instant email notification. Then when it's ready to start a mod can do a post and everyone knows straight away.

Good points Taverner, and also people don't necessarily have to use their UNnom, the 2 Unnoms to get rid of a game should only eliminate really unpopular games.

Personally I think Donkey Kong2 Jumpman Returns should be included. It's new but is supported in mame, enough people here have the roms and can run it, so should be able to help others get it running.

There have been some great noms so far, and a couple of crap ones, a few that I was going to nom have been listed already which is great but it makes it hard for me to pick.

Rat's noms, a few that I picked before and didn't get up, and a couple of new ones.

1. Valtric (valtric) vertical shooter with a difference, innovative power ups and specials, ahead of it's time. I played this a couple of times in the arcades, but it was quite rare to see. I really enjoy this game, the difficulty curve is fair, but just a bit too steep for me, I wish I could progress further. Looking forward to seeing if anyone is an expert, and also to see what people who have never seen it think.

2. Mighty! Pang (mpang) A great sequel to the ground breaking and very addictive Pang.

3. Space Invaders '95 (spcinv95)

4. UniWars S (uniwars)

5. Flying Shark (World) (fshark)

Game on
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    There will be a BIG lead up to the start of the comp Rat, I will make sure of it But your point is valid, i will personally PM people about the comp so we know that players are informed of when it officially starts, and also about noms

State
    (^._.^)~
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Crazy Balloon
    Carnival
    Jump Bug
    Space Firebird
    The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taverner View Post
    I like the 5 nom and 1 unnominate idea but I still hope people think a little before canning a game, fair enough if you just out right hate it or dont think it will work for the mgl but at the same time a bit of variety is nice. I suck at (and for the most part dont really enjoy) maze games but I'll play em and have even found a few I do like via the mgl so the occasional post 1990 game or even a fighter shouldnt kill the comp.

Also like the sunday start/finish but any chance of moving it as late as is convienient for you guys? Seeing as day light savings got canned over here till 2500 AD or something, 7pm AEST is only 4pm here and with kids I dont really get to play till the evening. i know it all works out as the same time but it makes it harder for any last minute improvements.

Just my 2 cents

I agree on the un-nomination thoughts... I reckon maybe a game should need to get 3+ un-noms before being dragged, that would assure only the real stinkers get voted off, and I dont see any real stinkers in the list. What do players reckon ? I kind of like the fact at the moment, half the list I've never played before, this fits well with the Dirty Dozen feel

After thinking about it - I reckon playing a fighter may be interesting in MGL format. It's an area of the MGL that could do with experimentation, at least ? Long as it is a score-based fighter, don't see why we shouldn't play them I can only see MGL history from 8-11 so I can't tell if one's been played before, any MGL Veterans know ?

Regarding start / finish time, best we can hope for is to cater to the majority of players - Can't you just put the small ones in a Box for an hour or so on a Sunday, I know I do

Nomination list updated in first post.

State
    wa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammasized View Post

Regarding start / finish time, best we can hope for is to cater to the majority of players - Can't you just put the small ones in a Box for an hour or so on a Sunday, I know I do
    Yours get out of the box That's cool Jamma in the end I'll get the same 168 hours as everyone else but with Saturdays tending to be busy with friends I can see Fridays being a big MGL night .

State
    Tasfunkia
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Im thinking fighting games like Mortal Kombat have been excluded in the past because of control difficulties That being some people don't have enough buttons on their cab, or use a keyboard. But as Dk posted in another thread, there are CPs out there for very small dollars now.

State
    Launceston, Tas
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quoted
    477 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingtipvortex View Post
    1. Donkey Kong2 Jumpman Returns ( is it ok to nom this one? )
    I think this was only included in the latest MAME releases and a lot of people have cabs set up with older versions of MAME ( would mean reinstalling MAME to a newer version, which I understand don't have Highscore support, or they may have multi boards), unless we determine what version it was included and it can be utilised by the majority I would suggest maybe not

State
    adelaide
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im only playing whats on my cab. i wont be unominating any games even 10 yard fight. i expect to come last. we need emohawk on this to show those that have the capability to live stream their sessions.

State
    The Big House
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Its been a long time between posts. 10632 to be exact, but I'm still on probabation. haven't been put back in the BIG HOUSE yet.

I'm on probation.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information