Thread: New Mame cab

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

New Mame cab

Been biulding a cab on and off for a few weeks. Here it is so far.

my plans changed aas i when on..

That is a 68 cm tv. Going to use jomac for the parts to run to a arcade card.

Monitor was just a rough in so i can get it in the right spot .

Question.

I dont know how i am going to use to cover the screen.

I have a 4cm gap from the max front of tv to the front edge.

I asume i will use glass . I dont know how. i can router a edge, for it to side in but i cannot side it in.

Ideas or comments please
    Last edited by DirkDiggler; 18th October 2010 at 05:16 PM.

State
    Townsville, Nth Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Looking great mate!

For the surround you could always use some MDF with the cutout angled with a router? You'd probably have to build a bit of a lifting frame to match the depth but painted black with glass over it could look pretty shmick.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

done a few more things. wife gave me a few ideas.

Doing control pannel atm.

Going 2 joysticks and 6 buttons each.

1 and 2 player.

But i want to add a few control buttons.
    Like pause and stuff.

I have not used the mame software that much. So not really sure how many controls there are..

But i am only going to add 3 max. Pause is a must but.

With the glass. I have read here about it. Most people say glass with a 5 per cent tint. Correct. ?

If so where can i buy it from. Any glass place? Live in wetern sydney,

What about speakers. i have a volume control knob hiding outside to adjust that. So i need computer speakers..

Looking at something like this maybe

http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23...5869&p=product

Ideas
    Last edited by DirkDiggler; 20th October 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add stuff

State
    Townsville, Nth Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    With MAME there is no need for a dedicated Escape or Pause button. The Player 1 start button acts as a Shift key so hold that down and tap down on P1 joystick for pause and for Escape hold P1 start and tap P2 start.

There are other controls accessible via the use of the shift button but those 2 are the most commonly used.

2 player 6 buttons each sounds like a good plan (it's what I have on my upright).

As for glass I have tinted perspex on my upright and tinted glass on my cocktail, glass is slightly dearer but really does look sexy. With the perspex I have a slight grey tint and the glass is a slight blue tint (grey was out of stock lol). You should have no trouble getting it from a local glazier but do get it toughened for safety and durability. Incidentally the perspex and glass are both 6mm thick.

For speakers I have an Altec Lansing sub plus 2 high end car stereo speakers and the thing pumps! As for volume knob, mine is located inside the control panel.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

anyone here recommend a place where i can get a custom cp overlay and marquee made.?

seen a place where they say must be disgned to size ( no resizing) , but i dont know what program to do that on.

State
    Luscombe, Brisbane
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)
    I have always used inkscape. Make the canvas the size you need then just zoom to fit screen so you can see what you are doing.
    Woody

State
    Townsville, North Qld
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    can u show us some more pix of the inside. just concerned u may not have enough cross bracing.
    nothing more heart breaking then building a cabinet then try and move it and it falls to bits infront of your eyes and all your hard work is destroyed
    Ubuntu User #16304 Linux User #450903 rc forums ultimaterc.com looking for cabinet plans?click here pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on auto-magically? click here
    if your new to electronics and want to learn more, click here **how to attach images to posts click here** my youtube channel

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

back pannel and cross bracing is not finished yet.

Need to get a friend to go to hardware shop . Cuase 1800x900 mdf does not fit in my car. When back pannel ( with dorr) added. I will proprtly reinforce.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

trying for find speakers..

i saw that some people here go or a amp then car speakers...

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au...oductid=APC554

is what i have bought so i can put it on the top of arcade unit where no one can see but i can adjust the volume..

Been looking around for some good quality speakers but all of them have this power on/off on the wired remote.. which i dont want..

So question..

is there a amp i can buy which can connect through a 3.5mm plug to this thing i have bought and then i can connect to car speakers.

I was/am trying to go for a 130 dollar 2.1 setup that had a very good amp..( wanting if i can hack it do when main power turned on ... speakers/amp turns on too..auto

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most amps should be able to take RCA inputs, so you may just need to grab a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable. Just take a close look at the input specs for the amp. On mine the RCA ports are for low level input, so my amp is actually turned down to nothing and the main PC volume usually only sits around 4%, so just be mindful of things like that so you don't blow your speakers as soon as you turn it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information