Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Big Buck Hunter 2 problems, game not turning on all the time , Please help

MrFurtadoc

Question

Hi guys

i have a Big buck hunter 2 game on a 33'' game master cabinet with a wells gardner monitor that i got of for a really cheap price, the rifle is new but their is some sort of power problem that it turns off sometimes, would anyone have any advise for me where i can start to fix this issue.

i have doing some reading and i was going to start with the fuse or the HOT ??..... any ideas anyone ????

thanks ppl

15 answers to this question

Hmm could be a few things.

Got more details..

Like how long is it on before it turns off?

Is it always the same?

Does the whole thing go off or just the screen?

From memory these games use a pc based system and HDD of similar...

Anyway first thought is overheating of some component.

What is turning off? The gameboard or the CRT?

If it's the gameboard, (and I recall that the BBH 2 is a JAMMA board...) then it may be a tricky repair. They use a proprietary video card which is now as hard to get as unobtanium.

hey guys ....... i'll do more investigation today, but if worse case its the board and it needs to be replaced can i get another board or on from maybe extreme hunting or some other BH game ???... are they simple to track down ???? or refit kit etc,etc ..... any of these options possible ????

PS - Thanks heaps to everyone for advise really, really appreciate input !!!

Update on Big Buck Hunter repair

UPDATE: I have tested the screen and plugged the screen to another box with VGA output and the screen powers up and turns on ok..

I can hear the game booting up of the mother board so i don't think thats a problem ( but i'm no tech), I was inclined to think its a lead from the board to the screen like no signal getting to it .....

any ideas ppl ????

Okay, so you can hear sound, and you are confident the CRT is working, so that leaves the video output from the gameboard.

Now, is it as I guessed an Incredible Technologies gameboard with a video card plugged into it? If it is, then the likely suspect is the video card itself, or if you are VERY lucky, the cable that connects the output of the video card back into the gameboard where it outputs on the JAMMA harness.

My first thought is bad caps on the videocard if you're getting intermittant operation. (Or.. bad contacts between the videocard and the connector)

If you can find a known working videocard in another BBH board, swap them over and see if it works.

Edited by DevoDave

Hey Dave .....

All your advise is being well taken and I'm checking of the things of the troubleshoot list....

SO i'm taking the first and the easiest option if its the the VGA cable from the video card and the board. then is it just a standard replacement ??.....

If i have to do a re-cap can i do it myself or can i get a new video card ???.... i rather take the easy option .... i saw a total board and video card set on ebay for $559 .

Video card.

Try taking out the vid card and installing it into an old school PC that runs a PCI video card (disable on board video if it has it in the BIOS first to force output through the video card).

Even with no drivers installed it should display a picture at the BIOS POST, and Windows will install standard drivers to make it work.

If you get no picture, the card is stuffed.

This vintage usually runs Voodoo 2 3DFX PCI cards, which are hard to come by now.

From memory the cable is a dopey type that is either male or female at both ends, and may also be hard to find.

Check your board during boot up. You will notice a green led light under eagle boot rom chip, (i think it's either status 1 or status 2 light) if that is continually blinking post boot up then your board is fine and it is definitely video card related. If however you are having a resetting issue, where the game boots, gets to certain points and begins to reset, then i would immediately replace the power supply as if that has a dodgy voltage going through it, you will end up frying your board. It will also affect the performance of the hard drive if there are voltage drops from within the PSU. It could also potentially be your hard drive locking up or parking as some people call it. This game can run without the cabinet powered on, you might want to try running it without the cab turned on to sus it out, if the game appears to be playing fine then i would almost 100% say it is the video card. If yous status light mentioned above is on solid, you will have a costly repair. I own a Golden tee complete red board which are identical to the BBH board that you have, if you have any further queries or would like some detailed help, feel free to drop me a line.

Try taking out the vid card and installing it into an old school PC that runs a PCI video card (disable on board video if it has it in the BIOS first to force output through the video card).

I'm not 100% certain, but I was told that the videocard is NOT an accepted PC standard (AGP/PCI/other). It will ONLY work in arcade gear designed for it. I would be VERY careful trying to plug it into a PC.

I'm not 100% certain, but I was told that the videocard is NOT an accepted PC standard (AGP/PCI/other). It will ONLY work in arcade gear designed for it. I would be VERY careful trying to plug it into a PC.

Granted on some version that isn't compatible.

I fixed my BBH2 using this method, as it had a blown PCI card.

Replaced it with a Voodoo 2 and back in business.