Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

faulty coil or not

pinhunter

Question

just seeing if somebody can clarify if a coil either works or not, i have been told this, i have put a flipper kit through my fish tales and the left flipper is a little sluggish - not much but i can notice it is not as sharp as the right. Can a coil loose some power or is it likely to be a component that is driving it.:confused:

5 answers to this question

Same coil rating on each flipper?

Did you add new coils during the flipper rebuild or use the originals?

Reflow with new solder on the coil connector tabs (and check for broken coil wire at the same time).

Check everything is moving freely and not binding anywhere (coil sleeves, flipper shaft etc).

Edited by pinsanity

flipper

I have only replaced the linkages and sleeves so there is basically no play in the flippers, i have been told that should fix the problem but it hasnt i also resoldered the tabs, can the coil loose grunt, i suppose the other thing i could do is swap coils over.

Normally coils either work or they don't as you suggest. Could be a problem on the fliptronics but 99% of the time it will be something mechanical. As Pinsanity suggests, you could check whether anything is binding. Check the flipper bats have a small amount of up and down play. If they are tightened down hard (with no play at all) they can bind a bit. They coils will probably be alright but to fully recondition the flippers you will also need to change the coil stops, flipper bats, flipper bushes, return springs and EOS switches. I have also seen the flipper opto cause this fault. Hope this helps.

regards Derek

• Administrators
I have only replaced the linkages and sleeves so there is basically no play in the flippers, i have been told that should fix the problem but it hasnt i also resoldered the tabs, can the coil loose grunt, i suppose the other thing i could do is swap coils over.

If the flipper bat is tighten too far down onto the bush you can also get sluggish flippers.

There's so many factors that can cause weak flippers, a lot have already been mentioned. I've also seen some container pins that have the incorrect coils installed. OP's tend to use what ever they have on hand to get a machine up and running again.