Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Test and Tag

Hello all,

Just seen some clown on ebay trying to rip people with testing and tagging of pinballs, if anyone needs it done please pm me, on ebay the clown is trying to charge $45 bucks, WTF sorry but it takes no longer to test a pinball than it does a toaster.

provided you are in melbourne and can bring it to me $5

Yeah I saw (and giggled) at that, $45 for testing and tagging is a joke (unless they're going to drive out to site and tag just the one machine). Tagging generally costs $5-$10 if you take it to a sparky, most tool shops can now test and tag as well.

its a fuckin joke really, 5 mins tops, a tag and fill out a spreadsheet with details, tagger has to keep the record for 7 years and give the owner a copy, its fuck all but of course because a pinball is big some people assume more complicated to test, pfff opurtunistic assholes.

baker im all good

funny thing about test and tag our work microwave died so i bought mine from home for the day. came back and the testing guys had done there routine check and my microwave is now tested and tagged :laugh:

OK, who here can tell me the steps for the actual test part? (yes I know them)

The last one that I set up for a previous employer (it helps that it was a large company that had money to spend, it was GM Holden :)) was this one, on a full trolley setup, all in one with a database that told you when different sections needed tagging :). The steps on that were easy, plug in, attach earth lead, scan barcode on last tag, and wait until it prints out either a passed tag, or danger tag :D. New appliance setup was very easy too!

OK, who here can tell me the steps for the actual test part? (yes I know them)

ummm, turn on, lick cable.

Make sure you do not open the device (unlike pinballs which are quite often open).

Not dead: Pass

Dead: Why did you lick the cable? Wasn't that covered in your 2 DAY course!

depends if its class 1 or 2, first step is visual inspection. Also just a word of advice, and i am guilty of this, do not engrave on the plastic of a power tool (double insulated), engrave on the steel of the gearbox or casing, never on the plastic as it will fail a test before its even plugged into the pat. reason being the plastic forms part of the insulation and by removing t, engraving you have effectively made it unsafe.

having said that filling in the engraving with car bog or epoxy is acceptable.

1 visual inspection

2 polarity

3 insulation resistance

4 earth resistance

5 current leakage

6 the tag

No idea about the 7th:unsure

Interesting to note that a person has to be a "competent person" not necessarily an electrician, as an exmember of this forum used to push.

Expensive as the copy of the regulation is about $90-$100 and the tester starts around $800 for a cheapy.

Impure: you passed! :023:

Baker and Dyson: sorry, you failed. :(

Visual inspection is the first step. Sadly not many people actually do this.

Test and tag is a bit of a joke in some ways. The test part is good, but where it falls down is that people assume the equipment must be safe simply because it has a current tag on it.

All a current tag indicates is that (in theory) the item passed inspection and testing on the date indicated by the tag. What happened to the item after it left the hands of the tester is anyone's guess!

Test and tag has at least made people aware of the potential for electrical items to become faulty over time. It doesn't guarantee the item is defect free at the time of use, but at least equipment and leads are getting tested at regular intervals.

As for the 2 day (or whatever) courses, there is no requirement (in QLD at least) to take any course in order to perform test and tagging. The course provides no licence as such. Anyone can perform test and tagging. It's not related to an electrical ticket. You just need to make sure you would be deemed "competent" (know the process) if you are challenged by the courts.

Ralph has posted since I started this reply (doh!) so some of this is doubled up. I bought a copy of the relevant standard (AS/NZ 3760) and its addendums to make sure we're up to date with the requirements.

Did my tag course 3 yrs ago and it was one day course. Yep you just have to be a "competent" person. The boss bought a TNTplus P.A.T unit. Simple to use (for me anyway), and yes the visual inspection is vastly overlooked from what I here by Subbies. I have 3 books of 6mthly tests to do along with another book for RCD's - and that is just our Marina. Generally takes me about 2-3 days to do the lot depending on any probs found.

Just a note though when testing a latish model pin like WPC which has a detachable power cord I find it prudent to treat the cord as an extn. lead and tag it alone then test the machine itself and tag again alone as leads and machines can be swapped accidentally.

Getting slightly away from the Pinball side of things, T&T of arcade gear!

There is a lot of confusion out there on testing intervals and what actually gets T&T'd.

Most modern arcade gear have detachable IEC cords for them. My (and my instructor on the T&T course) are of the opinion that the cord is a separate entity to the equipment it is plugged into.

So, you need to test (and keep track of) the cable, and have a separate record and test for the cabinet.

The actual cabinet should be reasonably secure and is therefore on a different T&T schedule to the cords. In a commercial environment, three years for the cabinet and six months for the cord.

Your mileage may vary, and if a machine is moved around inside the location, you may want to put it on a six monthly test to cover yourself.

Yep- as said I treat machine and cord separately. Being a "static" for want of better words as oppossed to portable an arcade game in my view would only warrant 12 mths BUT and i say BUT with risk assessment involved due to the probabilty the item is open to harsh treatment I reckon 6 mth checks are the go on both leads and the appliance.

For equipment with detachable power cords, we treat them as separate items. As has been said, cords do get mixed and matched.

We have a Kyoritsu PAT unit. I think it was around $700, but comes with everything you need for testing class I & II equipment as well as extension leads and IEC power leads.

A permanently wired power cord is part of the equipment and it gets tested as a whole item. Unless I misunderstand your question, I don't see how it could be any other way. :unsure

So with a pinball does the tester open the unit up to test a cord thats hard wired into the pinny?