Thread: I told you I was planning a cocktail cab

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I told you I was planning a cocktail cab

And he has a working title: Calvin - my wife's suggestion.

Since last we spoke, the plans have evolved somewhat. I've even made progress towards a physical cabinet. He's a bit of a hankiny-but-not, hybridish, oversized frankencocktail - but he's mine and he's my first and I love him like any parent would.

Recklessly disregarding Ozstick's advice to be wary of rotation, I've procured a 19 inch CRT for the princely sum of $15, and a lazy susan bearing for almost twice as much.

I also have a cardboard box I can play games and test front ends with.

The plans are now more advanced than before; they even have dimensions mapped - how about that.

Today my brother in law made good on a promise to assist with the carpentry, and even brought over some awfully dirty 16mm ply that has previously been used in some kind of cement setting. I kid you not. We (well, he) turned this:
    ...into this:

I just hope to hell he cleans up alright.

I intend to post up the potentially-useful-to-others stuff on a site sometime, including the plans - but as my work is the internet thingie I'm not likely to get around to it any more quickly than plumbers might be expected to get around to fixing their own pipes. I am happy to kick this thread along in the meanwhile if you don't mind listening.
    Last edited by shock_; 25th August 2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: weird link bug

State
    Mawson Lakes, Adelaide, SA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    Australia
    Well that's a start, keep the pictures coming.

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now thats a mans cabinet if ever I saw one. I reckon the concrete adds character.

State
    Planet Express
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The concret will come off the form ply ok with a bit of sanding.,

You can always laminate it at the end anyway.

Hope the monitor has a deguass button

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most cement washed off without too much fuss

Am considering Spacies' suggestion over at BYOAC for a vinyl covering; there are a few dings that will need filling and sanding if I go the paint option. Haven't really considered laminating it; can't see it looking anything but weird unless it's woodgrain, a la methode traditionale - which I didn't particularly want for this cabinet. Any links to laminated cabs that don't have a woodgrain finish?

Degaussing I thought might best be handled by having the neutral power line connected to the stops on my lazy susan apparatus, so the monitor is powered off unless 'parked' at either 90 extremity. As for forcing the screen to be powered down long enough for a degauss to behave nicely by slowing down the manual rotation, I might need to rig some sort of a crank. That's the sort of stupid showstopper detail Chris from Ozstick was talking about I guess

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Austria
    my rotating monitor seems to degauss nicely most of the time. like you, it is off when rotating and switches on at either end of the travel. i toyed with the idea of having a timed circuit so that when it stopped rotating the monitor stayed switched off for another second just to be totally sure. but i never got around to it. sometimes the colours would get a tiny bit purple in the corners (if it had been rotated quite a few times in succession from memory). but normally it was fine.
    Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_ View Post
    Am considering Spacies' suggestion over at BYOAC for a vinyl covering
    Now make sure you check out our Vinyl Overlay before you look elsewhere.......

Cheers,
    Chris

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1198 Post(s)
    Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla
    im getting a tabletop laminated this week from a workmates friend hopefully in a "marble" grey/black finish ill take a pic of what that looks like

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since being hassled over the pond, I thought I'd post a diagram of how I am (now) attacking the rotation side of things.

90 motion will involve a couple of double ball bearing catches. Thought of running the neutral power through these but suspect the connection will be too flaky. Any sparkies want to comment??

The cage itself is a frame of ply under the plastic, which the weight of the monitor will press down upon. Strips of ply carry the load down to a base below the tube, which will have half a dozen big thick bolts lodged in it. These bolts will plug into holes in the lazy susan platform, and should prevent too many wobbles while still allowing me to simply pull the screen out for maintenance. (They're not intended to be nutted up below)

Hope to get this sorted around Christmas or so.

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_ View Post
    And he has a working title: Calvin......
    ahahaha
    Thats my 8 month old son's name!!

Smit

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information