Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CRT monitor dangers

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I only want to remove the cover, but with all the confusion, will discharge the TV anyway as it honestly doesn't seem that too hard..

Go the mighty EELS!!!

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just pulled my rear panel off my CRT for a squiz. I won't be ready to mount into the cabinet until next weekend but just wanted to sus it out.

The thing making it hard for me is that all the wiring is as short as it can be, so I can't remove the entire rear panel without pulling the chassis out and all the small PCBs for the selecting switches, inputs etc.

I'm worried that after ai remove all these panels, I'll have a tube and about 5 PCBs all hanging around before I can pull the panel off. Should I tape them up to prevent any shorts? I might just cut the extra A/V harness that I'll never use I guess....and the speaker wires etc.

I was hoping I could just remove the front panel/bezel but it seems the whole TV set is anchored to the front panel, not the rear. Annoying.

Any other tips before I dive in? I don't plan on discharging, guess I'll just whack on some dish washing gloves

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Monitor discharging was a contentious issue when I brought it up a while back. I think the most important thing to consider is that there are a few fundamental ways that you could be 'zapped' and avoiding the electronics altogether is the only way to separate yourself from the hazard. That said, after some professional advice I've pulled a TV tube apart myself in my project and have been incredibly careful to stay away from the 'danger zones' and I adjust everything with one hand and an electricians' screwdriver. There's thoretically no stored charge (it's a self-discharging tube) but I still treat it like a loaded gun. My wife makes fun of my behaviour yet maintains a decent radius around me.
    If you want to know the best way to fix your car you'd see a mechanic, but every 2nd bloke who's looked under a bonnet would have advice on the best way to fix it (and there's nothing to say they're wrong). By the same token, there are some very experienced individuals in this forum who pulled TV tubes apart for a living - try to track down the comments from those individuals (like Jomac) and that's probably your best bet. It's one of these things where there's a very good chance you won't hurt yourself and will live to see another day, but everyone who would tell you it's safe will always say "but I hold no responsibility if you hurt yourself or get killed".

After all that if you're not confident - either get someone else to do it or I'd change your plan of attack. In my unprofessional opinion you'll be fine, but I won't be held responsible if you hurt yourself

PS: If you're going to wear dishwashing gloves your might as well apply some snake oil and take some sugar pills

State
    Central QLD
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Just Do IT !

Ground that anode !

fckin easy

enjoy the tickle
    Pinball, Its an Addiction

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Step one done, got the rear case off after disconnecting the power and control cables, aux in cables etc. Nice.

Question - the power lead off the chassis has an unmarked brown and blue wire. Which is positive? Can I just wire these directly into the PC power supply (on the 240v end right before the jack)?

Also there seems to be a heck of a lot of care taken with grounding inside the set. There are loops of ground wire that everything's attached to. Do I need to do anything additional with grounding when it's inside my cab?

Looks like the tricky bit is going to be turning it upright and mounting it to the cab, with the chassis so damned close to the tube. Think I'll need a mate to help.

PS the TV brand is TCL, tube is Hitachi. That's a relief

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    "Question - the power lead off the chassis has an unmarked brown and blue wire"

They are not unmarked - they are the standard colours for active and neutral respectively.

Brown = active and Blue = neutral to clarify.

yes - this is normally where the power feed into the monitor chassis will come so you should be able to connect them to the same terminals of your power supply that are connected to the mains which should also have similar coloured wires although, if it was wired a very long time ago it will probably use red for active and black for neutral.

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou for clarifying, I was hoping it was a standard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    after reading the post I felt a bit confused. I have a 21" computer monitor that is just sitting inside my PC based cab as I have not been able to mount it. I have removed the back plastic case of the monitor and inside of it there is another metal cage. I have not been able to remove the front plastic bezel, it seems to be attached to something else. Can I still handle the monitor from the metal cage? and can I cut or just break off the front bezel without the need to discharge monitor..I am planning to leave it in the metal cage and just somehow attached the front of the monitor to a wooden board so I can slided it where the original one use to sit. I believe I have LAI fatboy. While im here...what is the biggest monitor I can run on this cab for a mame pc based Thanks for your help.

So basically.

-what sort of care should I take when handling monitor in its current state apart from common sense

-Can I remove or break front bezel how?(NEC 21')
    -Can I buy a monitor that will just slide into the existing groves at either side of the cab and plug straight into pc?
    -What size can this monitor be price and place to get one?

thanks again for your help.

State
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a good subject. I have a 30" CRT tube in my cab that I want to replace with an LCD. I'm just too cowardly to have tried it yet. Anyone in Singapore who wants to have it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information