Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lowboy Juke - ArcadeWorx

Being a big fan of the good old Lowboy arcade cab design, I enlisted the help of Troy from ArcadeWorx to get my little project off the ground.

Troy was unreal to deal with. I highly recommend his service to anyone with an idea, but lack of woodworking tools and skills (such as myself)

Anyway, here's a little vid of where I am at now. Just needs a little tweaking and tidying up inside and we are all done.

Will upload some build pics once I sort through them :)

That is a very sweet looking rig mate.

What may i ask are you using to light the marquee section....that looks fuggin awesome!

Thanks mate!. Yeah first I attached a piece of white Lexan on the back of the marquee as a diffuser. Then added a remote controlled 30cm LED strip ($15 on eBay from HK)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3801/ledw.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6167/juke4021.jpg

Ahh....very cool! Thanks

Just had a sticky beak at em on ebay.....I can also see the potential for those 'knight rider' type led strips too.

Maybe a Battlestar Galactica/Cylon themed mame cab in my not to distant future!

Hey Rod,

Wow that looks so good. You built that up fast. Its come out real nice. The marquee cut outs suit the juke :).

Looks like the monitor measurements etc were ok ?

Congrats on the build Rod

Cheers

Troy

$15 for a remote controlled led changer so cheap...... things be free soon :)

Hey Rod,

Wow that looks so good. You built that up fast. Its come out real nice. The marquee cut outs suit the juke :).

Looks like the monitor measurements etc were ok ?

Congrats on the build Rod

Cheers

Troy

$15 for a remote controlled led changer so cheap...... things be free soon :)

Hi Troy :)

Yeah, knocked it up in a month. I've been wanting this to happen for 18 months now, as originally I was in partnership with a mate who is handy with wood and I was gonna take care of the electronics etc. Unfortunately (Or perhaps fortunately?) it never got further than me buying a couple cheap pc's and monitors.

Then I see a post about an "Arcade Worx Lowboy" then it just snowballed lol

Monitor fits great mate. So easy to support it with just one of the strips you supplied.

Went with the 5mm smoked glass. Looks so good!

Cheers

Rod

Being a big fan of the good old Lowboy arcade cab design, I enlisted the help of Troy from ArcadeWorx to get my little project off the ground.

Troy was unreal to deal with. I highly recommend his service to anyone with an idea, but lack of woodworking tools and skills (such as myself)

Anyway, here's a little vid of where I am at now. Just needs a little tweaking and tidying up inside and we are all done.

Will upload some build pics once I sort through them :)

are you having any trouble with virtual juke im currently using the beta version ten, the problems im having is when i select the albums with my mouse and then select 00 for all tracks or point to 00 with mouse and click then when i go back to the four album view i cant scroll through them using left right unless i change the view from full view to compact view or vise versa , funny thing is if i select the album using the number pad then select 00 using number pad there is no problem , i guess it wont be too much of a problem as if i use this juke then it will be for parties and not touchscreen (more of a novelty thing) my home use will be using album player and touch capabilities

i did download virtual juke nine and i had problems with the beeping whenever i used my keyboard left right volume up down etc this was coming over the music playing , i turned off sounds on my computer but it still occured also the volume up and down wasnt smooth which is why i tried version ten

which leads me to another question is there a computer wiz that can tell me if i can make two large icons one for either wincab or virtual juke and one for album player , i want these to take over roughly half the screen each so that they come up when windows loads , im not worried if the start menu etc shows but id like to be able to start either program from an enlarged icon

Oh by the way i love your juke build , id build one the same but i have limited space in my bar room and i have to build a corner model

are you having any trouble with virtual juke im currently using the beta version ten,

I'm running SKjuke which works a treat, so cant help with your issues unfortunately.

Not sure what your footprint restrictions are, but this lowboy cab is roughly 620 wide x 710 deep.

I'm running SKjuke which works a treat, so cant help with your issues unfortunately.

Not sure what your footprint restrictions are, but this lowboy cab is roughly 620 wide x 710 deep.

got a pooltable bar etc so need to utilise the corner space

Hey Rod,

Glad you went with the glass. I cant believe its been a month since I shipped that.....where did that month go :(.

Looks real nice Rod. Does it sound ok ?? I'm not an audio engineer but I know there is some volume equation etc that needs to be adhered to for sub enclosures etc.

Good work again :)

Cheers

Troy

Hey Rod,

Glad you went with the glass. I cant believe its been a month since I shipped that.....where did that month go :(.

Looks real nice Rod. Does it sound ok ?? I'm not an audio engineer but I know there is some volume equation etc that needs to be adhered to for sub enclosures etc.

Good work again :)

Cheers

Troy

Troy

Yeah there's a trick to running a sub in a cab. I'm no engineer either. However, I'm a muso with a keen ear and have spent far too much time around band PA rigs etc lol.

OK, so the general idea is to adjust the EQ settings and let the cabinet share the workload of the sub. You can have the sound system sounding great outside the cab, but as soon as you put it in it's gonna sound muddy and boxy

So you back the bottom end right off. Raise the tops a tad and then tweak the mids which is the trickiest part. You need a good test song with clear vocals.

End result is you want it to sound great in the cab, but pull it out of the cab and it sounds like shite :)

I'm 95% happy with the EQ tweaking i've done so far. There's always gonna be a handful of songs that sound shit regardless. Mainly because they weren't recorded that great to begin with.

Troy

Yeah there's a trick to running a sub in a cab. I'm no engineer either. However, I'm a muso with a keen ear and have spent far too much time around band PA rigs etc lol.

OK, so the general idea is to adjust the EQ settings and let the cabinet share the workload of the sub. You can have the sound system sounding great outside the cab, but as soon as you put it in it's gonna sound muddy and boxy

So you back the bottom end right off. Raise the tops a tad and then tweak the mids which is the trickiest part. You need a good test song with clear vocals.

End result is you want it to sound great in the cab, but pull it out of the cab and it sounds like shite :)

I'm 95% happy with the EQ tweaking i've done so far. There's always gonna be a handful of songs that sound shit regardless. Mainly because they weren't recorded that great to begin with.

excellent job though hope it sounds as good as it looks and hope mine turns out as good

im no sound engineer either but im running mine to external speakers on the other side of the room , and to my ear ive found that i actually turn off the equaliser (for external speakers no experience with cabinets)now and just go with what the music was recorded with in the first place and i think i have a lot more songs sounding pure then if i pick certain eq settings , lets face it i dont want to be changing eq settings at a party for country then for rock etc

happy to let it be i think , ive mucked around with eq settings so many times and think ive got em right then the next day sober it sounds terrible :)

such a good job though hope mine turns out as good and hope it sounds as good as it looks you should be proud

Thanks for the kind words egosbar, much appreciated mate :)

Yeah I tend to agree with you. If i'm listening to music on a regular stereo or whatever, i'll have the EQ off or flat.

They come in handy for situations like my juke and in a band situation it's crucial as you're playing different rooms all the time. Some rooms are full of huge windows and tiles, and some will have an enclosed stage. So you're going from one extreme to another right there.

Of course the best way to tweak an EQ is to start flat and work from there. Starting from the pre set "rock" or "jazz" settings etc makes it a little harder to get a good result.

The way to get the best sound is to build the cabinet to a certain size (certain number of litres) depending if you want the box to be ported or not.

My jukes are built to suit the speakers, not the other way around. When I install a sub, then I build a box inside the cabinet to get the right number of litres.

Its a bit hard to see in the picture.

Thanks for the kind words egosbar, much appreciated mate :)

Yeah I tend to agree with you. If i'm listening to music on a regular stereo or whatever, i'll have the EQ off or flat.

They come in handy for situations like my juke and in a band situation it's crucial as you're playing different rooms all the time. Some rooms are full of huge windows and tiles, and some will have an enclosed stage. So you're going from one extreme to another right there.

Of course the best way to tweak an EQ is to start flat and work from there. Starting from the pre set "rock" or "jazz" settings etc makes it a little harder to get a good result.

flat must suit my room as it definitely sounds the best for most music (especially vocals) im very happy with them and i dug my old technic speakers out from the 80s and they sound so much better then the little satelitte speakers i was using

trialing skjuke , i have no problems when i first load it the music goes on )about 100 albums very quickly a 10 seconds or so , but when i add albums to the same source folder it takes forever and freezes anyone know why

Edited by egosbar

trialing skjuke , i have no problems when i first load it the music goes on )about 100 albums very quickly a 10 seconds or so , but when i add albums to the same source folder it takes forever and freezes anyone know why

Interesting.

Not sure how you have the file system. But I found the best way for me was not to point the program to one main folder, but to point it to individual artists. Might take a while if you've got heaps off the bat though.

My folder structure inside my main jukebox folder is like - Artist/Artist/CD Title

Which version of SK? only version 3 is fully stable. I run this with over 3000 albums, takes a while to load but no issues once we are going... :)

• Administrators

The problem is that your not using a static database and have it set to auto-update each time you start.

Change to using a static database and anytime you add new music, go into options and click update or generate new...can't remember the button. You only need to update wheneven you add new music.

Once done SK juke starts straight away

Brad

The problem is that your not using a static database and have it set to auto-update each time you start.

Change to using a static database and anytime you add new music, go into options and click update or generate new...can't remember the button. You only need to update wheneven you add new music.

Once done SK juke starts straight away

Brad

ive figured it out

i had a source file added which id added albums too , what i needed to do was edit this source file then update , what i was doing was add instead of edit which i thought was to add more files , the edit i took as renaming etc

anyway great program , wish it had the alphabet up top like virtual jukebox for going to next artist start letter (but you cant have everything)

and the ability to change the color on the onscreen keypad

shame he stopped updating it maybe he should have a crack every few years to add some simple things , can anyone do this?