Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 7 : Lady Bug

Game 7: Lady Bug

Rom: ladybug

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 38 on the list

Nominated by retrogamer, Foot and cartman.tmw

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124212644.jpg

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124212649.png

Hi-score held by Savage 104,650

Dip switch settings

Difficulty : Medium

Lives 3

Manufacturer: Universal

Year: 1981

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Labyrinth/Maze

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Universal

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Sound: Unamplified Mono (requires one-channel amp)

Lady Bug Description

You control a Ladybug that moves around a maze eating dots while avoiding poison and pursuing insects. The maze has revolving doors that can be used to thwart the insects. Collect letters to form the word "EXTRA" and receive an extra life or spell "SPECIAL" to earn free credits.

Game Introduction

A Pac-Man-style maze game. Collect the dots and avoid the poison while dodging pursuing insects. If an insect hits some poison it dies. The maze has revolving wall sections that turn when you walk into them. Collect bonus dots for an increased score and letters to spell out "EXTRA" for an extra life or "SPECIAL" for an extra credit. The letters change colour and must be collected when they are the same colour as the word being spelled.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8767)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 12th of July by 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

:lol Two Universal labyrinth style games in a row, both focusing on EXTRA, well this one has SPECIAL as well.

You guys will be screaming out for a shmup soon ;)

:lol Two Universal labyrinth style games in a row, both focusing on EXTRA, well this one has SPECIAL as well.

You guys will be screaming out for a shmup soon ;)

Another fun Golden Era game, trickier than it first appears. MGL is heating up :)

Just a quick bash to get reaquainted with Ms Ladybug.

Edit 1: Score update

Edited by Jed
Edit: Score update

Another fun Golden Era game, trickier than it first appears. MGL is heating up :)

Just a quick bash to get reaquainted with Ms Ladybug.

I always found this game hard, how do you get the bonus in the middle, if I wait for all the bugs to come out, its all over for this little Lady Bug

Yep....im baffeled so far as to the fruit bonus, and extra and special......BASICALLY EVERYTHING:lol:lol:lol

Any pointers from some gurus??? Rat, Ramere, Foot??

We should ask Savage he topped 100,000 but I think he converted to the Darkside :lol

I'm just going for the blue hearts early to bump the X bonus, not worried about the special as it would be a free game:unsure

Always trying for the yellow EXTRA letters and then flipping doors like madness , sometimes I seem to hold the bugs away and most they are around me like a plague

• Super Moderator

The bonus in the middle isn't worth chasing for the 1st several levels, if you get it great, otherwise you just increase your chances of getting killed.

Other tips, mmm I gunna regret it I know but

1. ALWAYS get the love hearts when they are blue - BEFORE you get any letters. This gets your max points up to 5X

2. Eat the letters when they are the corresponding colour to what word your trying to spell.

3. I always try and spell EXTRA 1st so if E, I, T come up then I eat the E and T when they are yellow. These score 5X 300 (1500) if you followed step 1. Eat the I when it's red and score 5X 800 (4000)

4. Once you have a letter in the word "extra" and it comes up again then eat it when it's red and score 5x 800 on it as well.

5. Spell extra and the pattern finishes, you get another dude. Spell Special and the pattern ends and you get a free game (who cares)

6. The bonus gets worth shitloads in the later paterns and is worth the risk.

Goodluck!

The pattern after you get an extra always seems harder, fast little fuckers

The bonus in the middle isn't worth chasing for the 1st several levels, if you get it great, otherwise you just increase your chances of getting killed.

Other tips, mmm I gunna regret it I know but

1. ALWAYS get the love hearts when they are blue - BEFORE you get any letters. This gets your max points up to 5X

2. Eat the letters when they are the corresponding colour to what word your trying to spell.

3. I always try and spell EXTRA 1st so if E, I, T come up then I eat the E and T when they are yellow. These score 5X 300 (1500) if you followed step 1. Eat the I when it's red and score 5X 800 (4000)

4. Once you have a letter in the word "extra" and it comes up again then eat it when it's red and score 5x 800 on it as well.

5. Spell extra and the pattern finishes, you get another dude. Spell Special and the pattern ends and you get a free game (who cares)

6. The bonus gets worth shitloads in the later paterns and is worth the risk.

Goodluck!

The pattern after you get an extra always seems harder, fast little fuckers

Cheers mate :023: now I just have to stop pressing the fire button :lol

Thought I was doing OK, but then realized I had the dips set on easy, no time to play now till Sunday.

Good game, the maze spinners make it much more strategic. I remember playing it on colecovision at a friends place, it was arcade perfect, what a system :)

Thought I was doing OK, but then realized I had the dips set on easy, no time to play now till Sunday.

Good game, the maze spinners make it much more strategic. I remember playing it on colecovision at a friends place, it was arcade perfect, what a system :)

My mates had an Atari & thought they were the Kings but when my brother got a coleco they became mere Barons.... :lol

Not a game I spent much time on in the past as it rarely made it to the local milk bar but we loved it when it was there & it is good frustrating fun.

Doubt I will get any better than this although I'll give it a red hot go!!!

http://i50.tinypic.com/taj0gp.jpg

For the record - I hate this game <_<

Anyway, my reason for selecting it was because it's my wife's favourite game (played on the Colecovision rather than arcade) and this is about all she plays on the machine. I figured if it did come up it would force me to actually try to play the game well and at least challenge her hi scores!

At the rate I'm going I don't think she has too much to worry about.

0008.png.9f1c852515a0816fcdb043ebcbe21897.png

Edited by cartman.tmw
Inching along!

The bugs are already fast on the first screen! Don't think I have got more than about 12,000 yet...

Hit about part 6 and they really zip, think I like them when they are moving faster:048:

Very enjoyable but frustrating. Can't get past pumpkin level and the 8 way stick is shitting me to tears. With Pacman, Mr Do, Pengo, etc you can get away with being imprecise - not with Ladybug! I'm even struggling to smoothly put my name up LOL :redface

lady0000.png.c06fb25739a324cabc57fb75cd66d1a2.png

Score update to 65k. I'm tending to go for the hearts and letters when they are red, as you seem to get the most points in a one-off sense, and you can sit there waiting for them to go red easily enough.

Another game that suffers from suss collision detection ? Have had bugs pass through a revolving door quite a number of times that should have shut them out, when things are close :realmad:

Enjoyable game, i'm buggin' out now though.