Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

QLDERS - Pinball life order?

Tempted at the LEDS but nit sure which ones I need Concave, Flat top or Frosted??

Concave would focus the light in more of a narrow field wouldnt it?

Maybe (speculating here im no expert)

Concave = Narrow

Flat = Standard

Frosted = Wide

Does that sound feasible?

Concave would focus the light in more of a narrow field wouldnt it?

Maybe (speculating here im no expert)

Concave = Narrow

Flat = Standard

Frosted = Wide

Does that sound feasible?

I found this

The Concave lens disperses light in a wide angle (170 degrees). Great for backbox lighting, GI lighting. Will not work on in controlled circuits such as inserts.

The Flat Top lens disperses light in a medium angle (120 degrees). Great for GI lighting and backbox lighting where you need more concentrated light. Will not work on in controlled circuits such as inserts.

The Frosted lens are great for GI lighting and backbox lighting when you need soft light. Will not work on in controlled circuits such as inserts.

• Administrators

OK, Sean (Virgil Tracey) info is correct regarding the angles. I will try and get a thread up detailing what experiments I did with MM LEDs tonight. I would not use 44 LEDs in GI as they are far too bright for my liking. Even the frosted ones looked dickey to me. I only used the 555s from Ablaze because at the time the 44s would not work in a controlled circuit. The 555s worked fine in all lamp boards, except that they needed to be installed in the right direction. To get them to work well you should bend out the contacts on the LED base so that they make a better circuit, and install the LED. If it does not work simply turn the lamp socket through 180 degrees. I think I found one or two bad LEDs out of a hundred or so I installed in my machines, pretty acceptable for the price.

In general I found that all coloured inserts looked good with plain bright white LEDs, EXCEPT yellow and orange. They looked OK, but the two coloured inserts looked virtually the same since the light was so bright. I used yellow LEDs under yellow insert, Orange under orange, and bright white under everything else. I also did the backbox on MM and found that it really made the colours more vibrant, except for the yellow areas (flames etc). for those I kept the incandescents, but might try some yellow LEDs and see how they look. I would not get frosted again, as I would not use them in GI lighting because they are still too white for me, and I did not see any appreciable difference under an insert.

For the angles, I found that a small insert looked best with the flat top LED and the medium sized inserts looked best with the concave top. For large inserts I will be using the 3 LED lamps in the future, but they were out of stock when I did MM. You may also need to use a 3LED in an irregular shaped insert, for example the "Jets" arrows on MM. I found that the single lamps just didn't fill them out at all.

You really need to experiment a lot. I am sure that machines with different art and colour mixes will respond differently to LEDs.

Keep in mind that you need to buy a hundred to get the price down to 29c US. Askjacob went in on an order woth me, and we landed about 5 or six hunderd between un for 45cAU a pop. Pretty spanky.

Hope this helps,

Dave

also states as of last month all leds will now work in GI too

Shit, OK, so now the 44s will work in inserts now too. I would be all over this for LEDindg an new machine. Still would not use them in GI personally.

Edited by furballx
Auto Merged Double Post.

As of 04/23/10 these lamps have been updated and now work in both controlled circuits such as playfield inserts and in uncontrolled circuits such as GI (general illumination) on they playfield and in the backbox. Basically, they will replace any #44 or #47 incandescent lamp on your Williams, Bally, Sega, Stern, and Gottlieb pinball machine. Please note - There are some compatiblity issues with Data East games and they will not work correctly on Capcom games. Williams Pin2000 games (Star Wars Episode One and Revenge From Mars are also not compatible.

there you go dave. im still pondering on some my self

shootstar anychance of 2 of these comming to WA :unsure

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1260&parent=204

there you go dave. im still pondering on some my self

shootstar anychance of 2 of these comming to WA :unsure

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1260&parent=204

I can but it probably wouldn't save you any dough - you're better off buying them off greg from rtbb and supporting oz dealers. I have these on my pins :023:.

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=50&osCsid=cebe591589517e715ddc4a79ed5ffa64