Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AFL Official Thread

DKong

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go the Dogs.

Not a huge supporter of any AFL team but enjoy the spectacle of AFL. A live game is so much better than a televise game.

Would be great to see the Dogs get their second flag, their first was back in the 50's (1954 I think??).

Pity about the Hawks for your sake John, but can't say you didn't have a good run.

I'm a Lions fan actually. But I also support Richmond (my team when I lived in Vic and long before the Brisbane Bears came about). But I do hold a soft spot for the Hawks as they were my Mum and Sisters team - not that they were big footy fans.

Sort of a funny fact about me - I was as a kid a massive Collingwood fan, they were "the team" to follow in the late 1970's when I was old enough to start following AFL (VFL as it was at the time). I really really wanted a footy jumper when I was about 6 years old, and sent my Mum to buy one :) She came home with a Richmond jumper, causing me to throw a massive fit :lol

That was back in 1980. As luck would have it, the Tiger's beat the Pies that year in the Grand Final. The last GF the tigers have won.

Looking back at previous GF winners a few years ago, I see that the Tigers won the GF in 1973 which was the year I was born. The Hawkies won the GF in 1971 which was the year my sister was born. I never did get around to asking my Mum before she passed away if this is the reason why I got the Tigers jumper - but I think it probably was. I mean, coincidence that my sister was Born in 71 and was somehow a hawks fan, and I was born in 73 and somehow ended up with a Richmond jumper? Doubtful. It's funny what parents do that you probably never know about.

- - - Updated - - -

Would be great to see the Dogs get their second flag, their first was back in the 50's (1954 I think??).

Yeah it would be. Last was in '54, when they were known as Footscray.

Another unknown fact about me, I grew up in Gippsland - which back in the day was a feeder area for Footscray FC - meaning the best of our local players went to the Bulldogs. This long pre-dates the draft that is now used by both the AFL and NRL when recruiting new players.

So yeah, next weekend I'll be barracking for the Bullies - though in my heart I think the Swans will probably win it easily, and as mentioned, I lost of a lot of respect for the doggies when I found out Gillard was a member of their club :lol

It annoys me how the commentators and the reporters always say "best grand final ever". It was far from the best and was played between two teams that don't care for scoring but prefer turning the game into rugby union rolling mauls. The game needs to be opened up and let players skills shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It annoys me how the commentators and the reporters always say "best grand final ever". It was far from the best and was played between two teams that don't care for scoring but prefer turning the game into rugby union rolling mauls. The game needs to be opened up and let players skills shine.

Grand finals are rarely the best games ever played as it is all or nothing, no second chances with plenty of nerves and tension. Having said that, it was one of the better finals in recent memory for closeness of the contest and a possible fairytale finish for a side that finished the regular season 7th v the top side, and a team that had not won a premiership since 1954.

Great gesture by Scott Beveridge to give Bob Murphy his medallion..... that is what sport is about, very moving!!

• Administrators

Summed up my thoughts. I don't watch or follow AFL but have made the effort to watch the last few grand finals. The game was a cross between rugby union rucks and rugby league knock ons. For a game that is all about kicking, catching and passing the ball, the Swans didn't seem to have any of those core skills.

Brad

I was born in Melb, and was born a dogs fan

My dad took my brother and me to every game, as we were members. We went to every ground in Melb. but not Geelong

As an ever suffering Dogs fan I still remember exiting every finals series the same way, before the GF

As a kid it was even worse.

1974 I think it was Collingwood in the first week we exited, we got flogged

When I moved to Perth I still followed them, but the pain continued. You just got used to low expectation

1997 & 1998 sucked so bad. Adelaide came back and took the GF spot

I started going for the Dockers around that time.

I am so happy for the Doggies. They look awesome. Unbeatable. Congrats

• 11 months later...
I'm hoping the $650 included a bit more than just a seat at the ground? :lol Looks like you had a great seat right near the goal - guessing you were at the end for the Hawk supporters? Are you a member by chance? Those seats are normally reserved aren't they?

You only live once, I'd love to go to a GF but I'm just not into the game enough these days :(

I was moving crap from one storage shed to a cheaper one all day, so didn't see the game, but I had the radio going to keep a track on the score. The replay is on Fox now so I'll leave that on and might see a bit of it. Good to see Rioli win the Norm Smith - pity he didn't follow his uncle and play for the Tigers, he could be the little bit extra they need to go to the GF.

Two years on and how prophetic was your statement about the Tigers needing a Rioli!!! He played a blinder against GWS to get Richmond to the big dance for the first time in 35 years.

Adelaide are a very strong team, but hopefully Richmond can deliver again and take the cup.

Just recovering from the weekend, which was just awesome. Couldn't get tickets to either the game OR for Punt Road, however I made a rare impulsive decision to jump on the train and join in on what was sure to be an awesome nigh in Swan St. We weren't let down - it was just crazy!!!! :041: :041: :041: :041:

Just waiting for the DVD to come out so I can buy two - one to live permanently in the DVD player and the other to keep in the wrapper.

• 11 months later...