Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Time to start paintin' the cab...tell me your tips :)

Hey all.

My cabinet arrived. I ordered it through ARCADEWORX.

And it looks f**king great :) Cheers Troy. You truly are a champ.

You helped this young boy out alot haha

Now comes the fun part of painting.

So im going to do light sand it, throw down some primer and then a layer of paint. I will buy it all from Bunnings. Can anyone tell me what are the best brands from there?

And add any tips you might have :) its MDF. And I don't know if I should spray paint it or just use a roller.

So yeah any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

cab1.jpg.60835ec133d6789e1a965a0a7f46f40d.jpg

cab.jpg.e2253ce5edba5a4c868503dc0da48fb9.jpg

There are a few thread about regarding this very subject. It really all comes down to time vs material's and tools at hand vs finished appearance. I personally would use my spray gun. Others use pressure packs, others roller.

Keep up posted when you start and what you find was the easiest for you.

Here's one thread

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=30918&highlight=painting

There are a few thread about regarding this very subject. It really all comes down to time vs material's and tools at hand vs finished appearance. I personally would use my spray gun. Others use pressure packs, others roller.

Keep up posted when you start and what you find was the easiest for you.

Here's one thread

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=30918&highlight=painting

Cool. ill have a look at that thread :)

Quick question....whats the go with sanding the first coat of paint? What does that do? Wouldnt it just rub the paint off?

I wouldn't sand it all off, sand it back till you've got a mix of mdf and paint and you've got a smoother surface for the next coat. Do the same when you switch from undercoat to top coat.

Use the Hammertone finish. It's simple and easy to use.. Light wet'n'dry sand between coats.....................

wait for spacies to chime in, he will say use car paint

and it would look bloody rippa too :cool:

Good point look for a couple of Spacies build threads some excellent tips in there on painting....

Car paint? One of my mates is a spray painter at Mansfield Smash repair.

So is that an option?

Automotive acrylic laquer/ spraypaint seems to be the consensus from reading a lot of threads. Haven't tried it myself..yet.

Alright so ive been to Bunnings. I bought some 160, 240, 400 and 600 sandpaper..and some 'MDF Primer' by White Knight.

Has anyone used that stuff? It sounds like it should do the job lol

Will my edges get wrecked or swell? I am using T-moulding... if they might wreck how do i prevent it?

And finally.. what is the safest and most reliable way to prep and paint?

Sand, layer of primer. Sand again, prime again.

Paint, then use finer grit sandpaper and wet sand?

The paint again (2 layers of primer, 3 layers of paint in total?)

Am i on the right track?

Thanks guys

Hey Dan,

I used that MDF primer, made sense being the cocktail I made was from MDF

It worked a treat, was a decent price as well

My 2 sents would be

Start with a sand on 80 or 120ish on areas that may require it, you wont need to sand the flat smooth MDF - but anything that may be filled or such etc

Apply Primer

Sand Primer around about a 200+, then again at about 400 - should be nice and smooth

I dont think you need to prime again

I applied 1st coat of paint and then did a 800 sand (wet)

I think then there is some options to finish off, from this point

I applied 2nd coat and then a 3rd

You could after 800 do another sand at 1000+, or even between 2/3 coat

I used a simple small nap roller so had that slight texture and liked the result with semi gloss paint (Nippon) I used

I however wouldnt use this paint again (due to a little bit of tackyness) and also would like to try a foam roller or even better if you can go for a spray - unless of course you wanted a texture look like I did

Im sure my way might be basic but hopefully its helped

Hey Dan,

I used that MDF primer, made sense being the cocktail I made was from MDF

It worked a treat, was a decent price as well

My 2 sents would be

Start with a sand on 80 or 120ish on areas that may require it, you wont need to sand the flat smooth MDF - but anything that may be filled or such etc

Apply Primer

Sand Primer around about a 200+, then again at about 400 - should be nice and smooth

I dont think you need to prime again

I applied 1st coat of paint and then did a 800 sand (wet)

I think then there is some options to finish off, from this point

I applied 2nd coat and then a 3rd

You could after 800 do another sand at 1000+, or even between 2/3 coat

I used a simple small nap roller so had that slight texture and liked the result with semi gloss paint (Nippon) I used

I however wouldnt use this paint again (due to a little bit of tackyness) and also would like to try a foam roller or even better if you can go for a spray - unless of course you wanted a texture look like I did

Im sure my way might be basic but hopefully its helped

Thanks for the tips :)

I was looking at that Nippon band, im glad i didnt get it lol.

Can you reccomend a good brand of semi/non semi gloss paint to use?

Well. I have finished priming the panels. Heres some quick questions.

I want to finish it with a high or semi gloss black.

Acrylic or enamel?

Water based or oil based?

And does anyone every do a clear coat for these cabinets? Is it recomended?

Depends on just how high a gloss finish you want. I might get corrected here but I don't think the water based enamel gives quite as high a gloss as oil based. having said that i used it on mine with a roller (I liked the slight orange peal effect) and it gave a really nice finish. If you're going for a super smooth reflective finish maybe go the oil based but otherwise the water based is so much easier. I was able to sand and repaint an hour after a coat and it's so easy to clean up.

Edit: Just checked and it was Taubmans Door and Trim (gloss black) I used. There's some photo's in my build thread if you want a rough idea of the finish but like I said I was really happy with it, though I still think I could have got a higher gloss with the enamel.

Edited by Taverner

Hey Dan,

Nice thread and cheers for the massive arcadeworx font :), made me laugh. Good luck with the paint and can I just add my 2cents in. High gloss looks good all shiny and all but fingerprints are an issue from experience.

I will try and get some pics of our cocktails in 2pac black and 2pc white to show you. The feedback I got was only negative in the way of fingerprints.

Good luck (will post pics when i find them)

Cheers

Troy

• 7 months later...