Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

• Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Moon Patrol
    • Bomb Jack
    • Moon Cresta
    • Scramble
    • Track n Field
    • Paper boy
    • Frogger
    • Dragon Buster
    • Kung Fu Master
    • Espial
    • Gyruss
    • Pooyan
    • Ms Pacman
    • Pac Land
    • Crush Roller
    • Star Wars
    • Pacman
    • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Space Invaders
    • Crazy Climber
    • Mr Do
    • Ghosts n Goblins
    • Marble Madness
    • Dragon's Lair
    • Disc's of Tron
    • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
    • Traverse USA (Zippy Race)
    • Space War 4 (Spacies clone with add ons)
    • Buck Rogers
    • Pengo
    • Xevious
    • Bezerk
    • Asteroids
    • Hyper Olympic
    • Lady Bug
    • Super Pacman
    • Juno First
    • Nemesis
    • Time pilot
    • Crazy Baloon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NES was never prevalent here though. The C64 was prevalent and arcade conversions were always pretty dreadful. You had to play the real thing! The SMS's explosion happened in 1989/90 and was followed by the MEGA-DRIVE's explosion in 91. It was not until the MD that home versions of arcade games were finally the same experience as the arcade.

They were the glory days for me you could not go anywhere here without seeing an arace machine. Usually a Wonderboy, Ghosts'n Goblins, Double Dragon or Psychic 5. The arcades all over Sydney were amazing, sometimes 2 or 3 arcades in a single shopping centre, not to mention the big 4 on George St around the Hoyts, Greater Union and Village cinemas. Oh, and the awesome arcade sectiins IN the cinemas! Even public pools had arcade machines.

They were also the glory days for me because 1985-1997 was when the creators were at their best and most innovative. The games evolved, as did the hardware. It was an amazing time.

There were some AWESOME arcade conversions on the C64. Just off the top of my head - Commando, Ghosts and Goblins, Spy Hunter, Bubble Bobble, Moon Patrol, Mario Bros. Graphically they were not arcade perfect, but the playability and fun factor was as-good-as. The C64 is one of the best gaming platforms of all time.

Every gamer has their own definition of the glory days for sure depending on their own arcade experiences. It's great you enjoyed that period. But nothing will ever be as ground breaking and innovative as the golden age of the arcade, 1979-1985. When pretty much all gaming genres were invented and presented to the public for the very first time. Shooter, Maze, platformer, fighter/brawler, adventure/rpg, puzzler, racer. The feeling of walking into Arcades back then, and seeing something brand new, something never done before. Pacman was one of those defining moments. Space Invaders. Donkey Kong. Galaxian. It's a massive list so I'll stop there but It was ground breaking compared to what had come before it. So many games had that wow factor.

Arcades went down the gurgler both financially and culturally from the mid 80's cause you could now play better games at home. That period 85-97 was the boom of the home computer and home console, and all the best games were now coming out on floppy disc and cartridge. All the best game devs worked in the home pc and console industries as that's where the market was. But games were by then rehashing repackaging already established genres.

And they still are...

the only platforms that have had the same wow factor for me was when I picked up a wiimote and played wii sports for the first time. That took me back to the same feeling as the early 80's gaming. Gaming was ground breaking again.

VR is the new frontier but I'm still on the fence there...