Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

• Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Moon Patrol
    • Bomb Jack
    • Moon Cresta
    • Scramble
    • Track n Field
    • Paper boy
    • Frogger
    • Dragon Buster
    • Kung Fu Master
    • Espial
    • Gyruss
    • Pooyan
    • Ms Pacman
    • Pac Land
    • Crush Roller
    • Star Wars
    • Pacman
    • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Space Invaders
    • Crazy Climber
    • Mr Do
    • Ghosts n Goblins
    • Marble Madness
    • Dragon's Lair
    • Disc's of Tron
    • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
    • Traverse USA (Zippy Race)
    • Space War 4 (Spacies clone with add ons)
    • Buck Rogers
    • Pengo
    • Xevious
    • Bezerk
    • Asteroids
    • Hyper Olympic
    • Lady Bug
    • Super Pacman
    • Juno First
    • Nemesis
    • Time pilot
    • Crazy Baloon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Ok guys sorry for taking so long to get the poll up but time is short.

Had to cull some games out that didnt meet the 85 cut off but not many.

Hard choice! but for me its Dig Dug, It was my earliest memory of playing an Arcade machine and it was the first game I sought after when I started collecting.

Moon Patrol is a close second. The game was just ahead of its time with amazing parallax scrolling and catchy tune :)

Had to choose Galaxian as it was my first memory playing a coin op video game. Was a cocktail cab in a fish n chip shop somewhere around Liverpool on the way to my grandmas place sometime in 1979.

Surprised nobody nominated Rally X. Top little game which Namco figured would be more popular than Pacman :)

Have to go with Xevious it was the first arcade game that really blew me out as far as graphics/sound/gameplay, but like pins, I'd play any game back then I loved em all.

Kids today will NEVER have that buzz.

Ya know, EB, I never saw a Mooncresta in Newwie. Only place I ever played one as a kid was at Park Beach Plaza in Coffs Harbour. Friggen hopeless I was at it too :redface

But for me it has to be Time Pilot. Was just around the corner from holiday units we used to stay at in Coffs. Since I lived in a suburb with no shops close by to waste money in, all my pocket money used to get eaten by this machine during the holidays.

Dragons Lair for me. This game had me mesmerized for hours. Even enjoyed just watching the attract mode.

I remember it was like 40c or 60c a game so was not played often. First thing I did when I got my mame cabinet running was to get Daphne installed.

Hard Choice

If you asked me 20 years ago I probably would have said Time Pilot or Galaga.

Now, because of being able to play 2 player, the theme and also because the high scores are for each event are tangible (distance, time etc) and not just points, I would have to go for Hyper Olympic.

Gyruss for me. It's the game I remember putting most coin into. Although Moon Cresta comes in close, the guest laundry on the Fairstar had one and my brothers and I figured out you could put just about any coin you liked into it so delighted in scrounging as many 2c pieces as we could find. Spent alot of time down there during those 2 weeks in the early 80s. The on board bank teller was a bit bemused when my then 6 year old brother turned up and asked for change of a $1 note in 2c pieces and ended up giving him a cup full of shrapnel for his $1, he was stoked.

Well I love nearly every game on the list but choose Mr. Do!

The reasons why I like Mr Do! the most are:

It's like Dig Dug on steroids.

The pace of the game is frantic.

I love the different tunes, the start up tune, the completion of every 3 levels & 10 tune & the extra man tune.

The many different ways you can end a level, kill all the baddies, eat all the cherries, complete E-X-T-R-A for an extra man or find a diamond for a free game.

Mr. Do! rocks!

Hard choice, but had to be Galaga.....That list is nearly all my favourites......didnt see the oft forgotten Slapfight in there though!;)

Its hard to gauge what makes a true favourite....is it the nostalgia? The one you play most now? The one that took the majority of your pocket money as a kid? Or that one bastard game that you cant help but keep coming back to....cos you just know you can do better next time!

Gotta be GALAGA all the way!

Great poll by the way!:D