Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Test Switches - Not Working

Scotty T

Question

Hi.

Two of my test switches on a Williams (MM) pinny are not working.,

The volume Down, and Escape button.

I can't find an doco that shows where they are connected to in the back box (If they are)

Can anyone shed some light on trouble shooting these.

I've tested the test switches themselves and there are fine....

Cheers

9 answers to this question

Try pulling apart the switch after you remove them from the bank and you'll find corroded dirty contact points. Buy a new momentary switch or just re-configure what you have to do the job. Done it a few times.

These go to a board inside the cabinet that also has the tilt switches / slam tilts credit.

If the switches are physically working i would have a look at the plugs and try reseating them. If that doesn't work then look at the board. Could be dry cracked joints.

Most of the time it is just that the momentary switches have failed. Too much grog over the years.

Wayne sells replacements

On PZ which is a WPC-DMD...

It says in the manual they are a "dedicated ground" circuit?

It goes through the coin door interface card -> CPU board connector J205, pins 6(esc), 7(down), 8(up), 9(enter).

Look in the manual at the switch matrix picture (left side boxes) and the coin door schematic.

I assume you have done the basics and put a meter on the switch itself? (EDIT: I read that - sorry!)

The 2 plugs on the coin door board? The switches ARE marked on the coin door board (Dig.sw1 - Dig.Sw4)

2 other things - there are diodes in the switch circuit (On the coin board I think)

And - you SURE the CPU battery hasn't leaked? In the past before you got it? Have a real good look at IC U16 on the CPU board...

Edited by shansta
Got off arse and opened coin door...

Thanks Shansta.

Spot on, the Switch Matrix in the manual has them listed... Too late of a night.,

Yes correct the switches are fine., I also desoldered the wires and connected to a switch that was working and still did nothing as well as continuity.

Now off to do more tests.

Yes no leaking, all was working before everything was pulled apart for a restore, suspect hopefully just a plug connection issue....

Thanks Shansta.

Spot on, the Switch Matrix in the manual has them listed... Too late of a night.,

Yes correct the switches are fine., I also desoldered the wires and connected to a switch that was working and still did nothing as well as continuity.

Now off to do more tests.

Yes no leaking, all was working before everything was pulled apart for a restore, suspect hopefully just a plug connection issue....

Ahhh - those little shitty molex connectors on the bottom of the CPU board would be my first stop then....

Let us know if you can't work it out - will get the DMM out and get serious... :lol:lol:lol

I would test the switches directly from the CPU board by removing J205 and then running a jumper wire from ground to each of the pins on J205 - whilst in switch level test mode (if you can get to it). This will either eliminate the CPU board or identify it as the culprit.

Well. that was the easiest trouble shooting I've done.

I was so hoping it wasn't a similar issue I had with the TZ. Where I actually had a broken wire, had to step by step do continuity, halving each time until I found the break, which took ages due to the spaghetti wiring TZ has.

I tested the backboard connection, all fine, so then the Coin door board, and bammo it was that!.. Re-seated and now working... Easy as... Wish they are all like that.

Thanks to everyone that offered help...

Well, the played up again, so reflowed the soldier the board it connects to.

But looks like it's just the connector, pulling on the wires while holding the connector fixes it, also noticed the light for the coin mech goes on when doing this...

I'll remove the wires and re-connect them..

Now a got one last issue which I'll pot in a separate thread..