Thread: Cabinet design progress

State
    inside your mum
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what about a couple of the ones they use in Subarus
    one click and out they slide i am sure you could put a front on them to hide them

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1213 Post(s)
    is it possible to use little sucker stubbie cubbies on top perhaps
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

State
    Perth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be interested to see how you go with the cup holder - it just reminded me that I was going to install a couple as well but haven't done it yet!

State
    Ballajura, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice trick with the snap in buttons.
    Looking forward to seeing the rest.
    MAME Cab Project

1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 2...

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Shown here are the reinforcement screws I put in as a result of me dropping the control panel and splitting it. If I were doing it again I'd do this right from the start. I filled the screws heads with wood putty and then sanded it smooth.

Cutting out the monitor/tube mounting panel. Let's hope it fits.

The control panel with overlay applied. NOW it's starting to look like the real thing

The control panel with newly-installed iPac controller in preparation for wiring.

Buttons and joysticks installed in all their glory.

A closeup of the overlay. It looks almost identical to the finsh on the Sanwa joysticks.

A messy looking wiring panel, but it does the job and was easy to set up. All the wiring was bought from OzStick in a kit and I strongly recommend it. I used a pair of wire strippers and they made the job rought 1400% easier (if it could be measured)

No more action for a few weeks, I've got a holiday planned and a work to attend. Watch this space!
    Last edited by TheWiggman; 11th April 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typos and wrong picture

State
    Rowville, Melb, Vic.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting button colour combo, whats the buttons colour theme representing?? Good job so far mate!

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    nice toenails

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giova_sf_fan View Post
    Interesting button colour combo, whats the buttons colour theme representing?? Good job so far mate!
    The blue and red are obviously 1 and 2, and the additional white is a 'block' button for Mortal Kombat (which will get a fair bit of use on this machine as it was one of the childhood favourites). Mortal Kombat had a 5 button layout but I'm using the middle 2 as block anyway and the white button just makes it complete in my view. I should have throught twice about the other 3 buttons being black though as they disguise themselves nicely against the overlay.
    Speaking of which, how good is that overlay? I don't think I'd have it any other way.

State
    NSW, Corowa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Here's a pic of the model progress so far. I plan to screw the dressed pine 'support' lengths onto each side panel and then chcek all the cut panels for length. Due to the stupid tolerances I designed the whole thing with (rather than using round numbers I drew up the side panels and referenced everything else from them) I have a feeling it's not going to all meet up. Serves me right I s'pose.
    The house move is all over so now I'll be able to devote some time to the cabinet finally, much to my wife's disapproval. I managed to score a PC off her parents which they thought was stuffed, but I plugged it in with zero dramas whatsoever. Sucks to be computer illiterate. I thought it was a scabby old Duron 1200+ but it's actually:

Athlon XP 2400+
    512 MB DDR2 at 133 MHz
    18 GB HD space (2 drives - might have to add another if I want a reasonable game collection)
    Wireless LAN
    Reasonable Gigabyte motherboard GA-7S748
    ArcadeVGA AGP!

I picked up the ArcadeVGA from Ozstick for a sweet deal mate, and theyr'e still cheap in fact for the AGP version. Looks like I've locked myself into the 15kHz setup. I didn't want to go down the PCIe path because I would have to pay for the PC - ha! - and plus I don't really care about modern arcade games. I've set it up with VNC so I remotely log into it to set up the software. Considering the dirty res, I've gone for MAMAwah as the frontend and I'm slowly struggling away with it. Hopefully it won't demand too much of my time.

State
    Ballajura Perth WA
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)
    Very cool design there
    Nice one !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information