Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where has all the good stuff gone?

Womble

Question

22 answers to this question

Ebay has been a total wasteland when it comes to faulty arcade boards, hasnt been anything good for months now.

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come or I am out of a hobby :022:

eBay have stuffed things up for a couple of years now with all of their ridiculous changes. FORCED PayPus was the final straw for me - I was a powerseller there for many years often selling over $30K a month but they can SHOVE PayPus!

That's why eBay has lost its gloss for many sellers.

Also with some earlier changes selling anything under $20 simply wasn't worth it (these have since been ammended).

Ebay has been a total wasteland when it comes to faulty arcade boards, hasnt been anything good for months now.

Are you chasing faulty boards?

I have a large collection of faulty boards, I picked them up here and there thinking I will learn how to fix them, I'm a slow learner so none have been fixed.

I was just thinking on the weekend I might be better off selling them or trading them for working boards.

Looks like you still have a hobby mate...:)

How did you learn? It just seems so complex to me! I don't know where to start.

I will do a list up of all the faulty boards, I'd be happy to trade for working boards if you prefer? Obviously I don't expect 1 faulty for 1 working, is there a 'standard' trade rate or something? I guess it depends on the titles really.

What price do faulty boards go for on ebay roughly?

Just by reading and getting me hands dirty really, it a shame that its harder at the outset when you may not have the tools that make things easier, scopes, comparators, desolder tools. I do find it fun most of the time but it is very time consuming.

Prices for faulty boards? Usually ranges from $10 to about $60 depending on the title. A highly sought after board will inspire people to try and fix it, so a Wonderboy board will always hit the upper end of the scale, but most go in the $10 to $30 range.

What do you have in your faulty stash at the moment?

Guest Outkast1972
I've got the time, some of the tools just lacking the know how! I have started reading up, found a few good posts and links. I am surprised there aren't any books or websites that deal with just the area of the hobby. Well if there are I haven't found them. I did find 'The Book' by Atari, I have just started reading it. Edited by Outkast1972

Gee I've got at the moment. Two wonderboys one shows no sprites / no wonderboy.

The other one has a garbled background.

A final fight... Mk that resets everytime you start a game mk2 that freezes during the ram checks.

I had a tekken 4 that would freeze that a electronics guy reckoned he could sort out so i gave it to him to check out... But he takes his time. Like 6 months if you are lucky.

I have some older stuff too but i honestly wouldn't know without going through it all.

I own some great pcbs like ghouls and ghosts, ghosts and goblins, Shinobi, Donkey Kongs, Snow Bros, Burger Time, Bomb "Jack but i rarely get the chance to play them.

I consider selling them every time one gets in the way.

A.K

They are bootlegs. The one that showed no sprites had a cap that was close to the edge connector that had a broken leg on it. I cleaned the board with flux and tried to resolder it on. These bootleg boards don't seem to be made from the best quality pcbs. Or the solder i had was shit at the time.

It was the non toxic stuff. It could have just been that i needed to clean the board better. Long and short i couldn't get it to take so i filed the board in the future project pile.

That i will get to eventually maybe after i crack the big one and don't have to spend 65+ hrs a week working

A.K

They are bootlegs. The one that showed no sprites had a cap that was close to the edge connector that had a broken leg on it. I cleaned the board with flux and tried to resolder it on. These bootleg boards don't seem to be made from the best quality pcbs. Or the solder i had was shit at the time.

It was the non toxic stuff. It could have just been that i needed to clean the board better. Long and short i couldn't get it to take so i filed the board in the future project pile.

That i will get to eventually maybe after i crack the big one and don't have to spend 65+ hrs a week working

Hey buddy, don't use the new type of solder on these old school boards, try and find lead/ tin (Jaycar still sell it)

The new solder is only for new boards from scratch

I don't like the price but like the lead free otherwise

New, lead free solder is no good for anything, new or old.

A hot iron, and the right thickness, works for me, been using it for years without issue:)

How did you learn? It just seems so complex to me! I don't know where to start.

If you consider that each pcb is a mico-computer, with its own ram, cpu input/output section, and video syncronization circuit, yes they are complex. Reading the Atari "Book", is a good start. The Internet is vast resource of information. Here you will find Datasheets, necessary to fault find digital game. The best advice I can give to someone seriously wanting to learn, is to learn the basics of electronics. Read, borrow, buy books on electronics. See if you can get hold of a popular PCB, like pac-man, for example, like I did, and study it. Get hold of schematics and try and see how the board works. Get some tools, a logic probe, and a multimeter. Having said all that, I sought of learn the hard way as I just discovered this forum, so your off to a great start, have fun!

I am, I find fixing them usually a lot more fun than playing them, tho my urge to fix depends heavily on the game itself.

It's exactly the same with me, although I'm not a big fan of most bootlegs, particularly the ones with a multitude of stacked daughterboards which replace customs (Sega bootlegs being one of the main offenders).

I too have noticed the lack of faulty boards on Ebay, although some turned up on Ebid in the UK a week or so ago and I managed to get half a dozen. :)