Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Household disputes Pt 1 (Rent)

AdamC

Household disputes Pt 1 (Rent)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Household disputes Pt 1 (Rent)

• Current rate - $200+$220
    • 40 - 60 - $170+$250
    • 33 - 66 % - $140+$280

Hey guys, just throwing this question out to get a bit of an idea what the consensus is.

We (mrs and I) have been sharing a house with a family (2 adults + 2 kids)

The rent is $420/week, and we have the main bedroom (inc ensuite) and one loungeroom which is in the shared area with the kitchen and dining room. They have a seperate lounge, and the 3 other bedrooms, and the main bathroom.

Double garage is shared.

Our part of the rent is $200/week.

What do u guys reckon ??

Edited by AdamC
added info about garage

I'd say the rent might be about right - 50/50'ish. The kids don't add to the rent as it's a fixed cost. Bills, etc, a different story.

But reading it again, they get a lot more of the house.

Tough one.....

Edited by pistolpete78
On second thought.

Hey guys, just throwing this question out to get a bit of an idea what the consensus is.

We (mrs and I) have been sharing a house with a family (2 adults + 2 kids)

The rent is $420/week, and we have the main bedroom (inc ensuite) and one loungeroom which is in the shared area with the kitchen and dining room. They have a seperate lounge, and the 3 other bedrooms, and the main bathroom.

Our part of the rent is $200/week.

What do u guys reckon ??

If you get the garage, Then it sounds about right 2 me

Maybe how commercial sharing works?:

calculate the GFA and pay the proportions you have access to?

GFA = gross floor area = total covered space in a building.

remove the shared spaces from the calculation, and there you go. e.g. if you use 40% of the non shared space, then you should pay 40% of the rent...

Hard to argue with GFA - it removes the whole "but your bedroom is bigger than ours so you should pay more" - also kills the emotional part "that room is nicer than ours" etc etc.

Does seem a bit sterile and non-family oriented, but fair?

Oh god, working out the utilities though would be a nightmare!

Cheers

Jacob

Theres a double garage which is shared ... no cars are in it .. just stuff and my scooter.

is the stuff both yours and theirs?

other things to consider is who owns the appliances? fridge/washing machine/kitchware etc.

If I was in your position and they owned the whitegoods then i think the price is fair especially with access to a garage and the ensuite.

Otherwise I think you are paying a little too much, i think the private lounge room is the deal breaker for me, the rooms are reasonably fair but having that private lounge that is their space outside of a bedroom is worth alot.

• Super Moderator
Maybe how commercial sharing works?:

calculate the GFA and pay the proportions you have access to?

GFA = gross floor area = total covered space in a building.

remove the shared spaces from the calculation, and there you go. e.g. if you use 40% of the non shared space, then you should pay 40% of the rent...

Hard to argue with GFA - it removes the whole "but your bedroom is bigger than ours so you should pay more" - also kills the emotional part "that room is nicer than ours" etc etc.

Does seem a bit sterile and non-family oriented, but fair?

Oh god, working out the utilities though would be a nightmare!

Cheers

Jacob

+1 to GLA

If you want to be nice (since they have kids and stuff to look after) then you are fair to say that you are prepared to put in $175, no more.

They have 3 out of 4 bedrooms, so technically are liable for 75% of the rent from an accounting perspective. Tax rules allow for personal tax deduction on renting rooms of your owner/landlord part-occupied property based on the number of bedrooms rented. All other rooms, exclusive use or not, don't count for squat.

Since neither of you own it, it's up to you to agree on how you split the rent and the bills.

To keep it simple, kids = 1/2 an adult so you have 5 people in the house. A 40:60 split is right (2:3) so $168 rounded up to $170 is fair based on living space, but you share the garage 50:50, so you should put in a little more.

If you were to say that the garage is $50/mo and the house $370/mo, then you whould be fair to argue a rental split of (50/2) + (370/2.5) = 173, still bugger all differece from the $175.

My thoughts,

Seems like you know what your part of the rent is.

If you figure it is too high then try to negotate a lower rate.

or look to move. (might find that what your are saving a month (by sharing) even at $200 a week is worth more than trying to negotate a lower amount or moving)

Ask yourself, Are you getting Value for money?

Red