Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Battlezone

Battlezone  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Battlezone

• Yes
    • No

Nothing like a bit of controversy to add spice to your day. :)

Should Battlezone, an arcade vector classic from 1980, be added to the games list for MGL X ?

http://programbytes48k.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/battlezone_marquee_small.jpg

Dedicated cab uses 2 two-way joysticks ( up and down ) and one button.

This'll sort the keyboard players/two-player cab owners from the one-stick/cocktail contingent.

• Like 1

Nothing like a bit of controversy to add spice to your day. :)

Should Battlezone, an arcade vector classic from '82, be added to the games list for MGL X ?

http://programbytes48k.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/battlezone_marquee_small.jpg

Dedicated cab uses 2 two-way joysticks ( up and down ) and one button.

This'll sort the keyboard players/two-player cab owners from the one-stick/cocktail contingent.

So if you use an 8 way joystick can you configure it to be l/r, u/d and then the diagonals will be forward left, forward right etc:unsure

Edit and I will need the Mame ini resolution settings for running this on an Arcade monitor so it at least slightly resembles vector resolution :)

• Like 1

Dkong it should run fine as is, we've played other vector games before with no problems (Asteroids Deluxe in MGL9 springs to mind)

If not give me a yell, I'll have a look at my ini file and let you know, it will help to simply bump up your 'Beam' setting in the vector settings of your mame.ini a bit for most vector games if you're running an Arcade Monitor (I am.) You wont need to touch the 'flicker' or alias settings though, just the Beam.

Cheers

Edit: YAY 6 to 3 so far in favour.

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Six votes apiece. Well that's more-than enough people saying they don't want to play it so I withdraw my nomination.

Would be interesting to know if those who didn't want to have it included are using a one-stick cab / cocktail or said no for some other reason.

I'm looking to play the tourn on a two player upright so config isn't an issue for me in that i've two sticks to use.

I'm sure it'd be a different story on a keyboard but not sure what people are using for the tourn.

• Like 1

Due to this thread I actually fired up Battlezone for the first time on my cabinet.

Dual joysticks, being a 2P candy - so controls were as "normal" and I set up P2 button 1 as fire - simply as it felt more comfortable to use my right hand to fire.

I sucked - but I think it'd be workable for general play.

Frankie

• Like 1

Six votes apiece. Well that's more-than enough people saying they don't want to play it so I withdraw my nomination.

Would be interesting to know if those who didn't want to have it included are using a one-stick cab / cocktail or said no for some other reason.

I'm looking to play the tourn on a two player upright so config isn't an issue for me in that i've two sticks to use.

I'm sure it'd be a different story on a keyboard but not sure what people are using for the tourn.

Nooooo! It's got till December 2 to close...why throwing in the towel before the final bell has tolled ?

I'm assuming 'majority rules' in a poll so all BZ needs is a majority vote - or how does this work DK on the polls ?

I also have a two player cab and it's great with two joysticks. Just for interests sake I mapped a+b buttons for left and right, c button for fire, and used a single joystick for forward and back, and the game was just as playable as it is with two joysticks.

Don't really mind though, it's all good, Mame is the winner, and we will fight them on the beaches with or without vector tank battles.

• Like 1

Its probably easier on a keyboard, all movement is with one hand on keys. Robotron on the other hand is near impossible without 2 joysticks. Can be done, but very complicated....which takes the fun factor away imo.

You have a point there... DKong - Robotron is also on the list but there's been no feedback about it till now. If people are not keen on Battlezone ( 7 for - 8 against at the moment ) then this would also affect the choice of Robotron I'm gathering.

Very close in the voting at the moment. This has been an interesting poll.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Robotron isn't really a problem. Most people have a 2 player setup and map the joysticks. Firing is by joystick so no biggie.

The problem with battlezone is that you really need 2 joysticks (2 hands) and then a fire button (3rd hand......forehead?). It makes for some awkward gaming unless one of those joysticks is a Top Fire.

Brad

• Like 1

I voted to add it, as well I have no problem with Robotron, but if the majority don't want them in, then I suppose we have to run with that.

We all played Defender without correct button/joystick layouts and the same with Asteroids so I can't see at least giving them a go really a problem.

And the people without two joystick setups, get busy:laugh:

• Like 1

Never played it before but i've got a candy cab I've just got to set up for the new league, so I voted yes.

Better find some time and find where I put that arcade vga card.

Love the Candy cabs for a MAME setup , after all a generic cab can hold all/most games.

6 days to go, think I started one of those gay QLD countdown things:lol

• Like 1

Well, the results are in and it's pretty much a split field with a lean towarss inclusion.

DKong - The crowd have spoken so I'll leave this one in your hands. Percentage wise it's unlikely to come up if included in the list... but would be very interesting if it did.

Thanks to all who took the time to vote and / or comment. Much appreciated.

See you all on the MGL X Game Grid. ;)

• Like 1