Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

How do you get a teenage son working?

Well, it's finally happenning

The son is out the back helping me clean up

We have a vegetation cleanup, so he had to move all the palm tree branches to the front verge

And cleanup the side of the house where the junk builds up.

He is bangin and clangin and carrying on like a pork chop.

The strange thing is he owed me 2 days work a month ago (A deal we made) and when he completed the 2 days his board would go down. But he couldn't bring himself to do the days until he is flat broke.

I am not talkin about $20 less, we are talking about $90.00 bucks less per week. :unsure

Any one have good tips on how to motivate teenagers these days?

:laugh:

• Administrators
Well, I would say money - but that isnt really helping....

Maybe threaten to firewall block facebook/myspace and to makehim more alienated from his peers get a GSP jammer from DX... :P

Thats pretty much what I did. Money doesn't motivate him too much. He seems to have a lowest limit when it comes to cash. so I blocked his net access via the router LOL! Pissed him off good and proper.

Brad

My grandad kicked me in the nuts:blink: true story

My folks had no control over me, he tried the old fashioned way, couple of clips over the head but when I didnt flinch he kicked me square in the nuts.

Claimed it wasnt dirty coz the irish fight dirty.

Grumpy old bastard:lol

In the interests of political correctness I wouldnt advise kicking your son in the nuts though!

Teenagers, its the ME generation now. They dont wanna do anything unless it gives immediate satisfaction, and with minimal effort. Been a huge struggle with both our teens, just starting to get the son sorted, but the daughter.......scarey as hell! I cant complain, and our kids are sometimes complimented by other people. My son has (16 in yr10) picked-up 2 jobs in the last month. Mcdonalds, and working for an amusment ride operator. He is bringing in a 100 bucks most weeks. But that creates a bigger problem... guiding them to spend responsibly. Its his money, and he made it clear lol Easy fix, we dont give him pocket money anymore, and forced him into saving 10 bucks a week towards the rego for the car we bought him. He blew 300 on PSP and games last fornight, wish I could get him to buy pins instead.

• Administrators
Well, it's finally happenning

The son is out the back helping me clean up

We have a vegetation cleanup, so he had to move all the palm tree branches to the front verge

And cleanup the side of the house where the junk builds up.

He is bangin and clangin and carrying on like a pork chop.

The strange thing is he owed me 2 days work a month ago (A deal we made) and when he completed the 2 days his board would go down. But he couldn't bring himself to do the days until he is flat broke.

I am not talkin about $20 less, we are talking about $90.00 bucks less per week. :unsure

Any one have good tips on how to motivate teenagers these days?

:laugh:

a good beating doesnt go astray.

I had one of those moments only today. I got 1.5 cubic metres of mulch delivered this arvo and we all needed to pitch in to move & spread it as it was already 3:30pm and on the driveway. Son #2 (14 YO) helped without too much fuss, but son #1 (19 YO) carried on like a pork chop, helped for the first 20 minutes then pissed off! At that age, unless what you're proposing helps them, you've got no chance!

• Administrators

Agreed Trav, but keep it to a near-fatal one, you don't want to end up in gaol! I have a theory that every male needs to have the crap beaten out of him somewhere about the age of 18-20. It teaches you that you are not immortal, and not the centre of the universe. After that I reckon most things just seem to fall into place.

For the record, yes, it did happen to me that way. A one punch near knockout from a Figian ex-heavyweight boxing champ. Sorted me right out!

Dave.

He went in at 3.30 PM, so that's 5 hours

He agreed to another 1/2 day help next weekend to square it up, so he is still on high rent till then :laugh:

I got him moving the 20 sheets of hardy fence, moving sand, stacking pavers, raking the lawn.

He reckons he got bitten by a spider, LOL, but I know what he's trying . . .

I like Ak's idea.

Anyone want to guess what his rent is? (LOL)

I'd just say give him a fair go, treat him like an adult, no sympathy and that if he doesn't help you out, you won't help him out, don't let him push the boundaries of your agreement. No lifts, loans, etc.

As has been said the current generation is very 'me' focused and good positive reinforcement of a job well done wouldn't go astray.

Crossed my mind through the week, I was starting to act like my dad, so good one, it's true.

I actually did thank him when finished today, but he finished 2.5 hrs early, so he doesn't get out of the rent thing that easy

oh no we cant do that now days

it will emotionally scare our poor little darlings for the rest of their life and they will be emotionally destablized and never hold a job or have a releationship with anyone ever again

a jiant pile of BS

When I was a kid I threw a toy metal police car (the size of a tonka truck) through my neighbours front window. My mother ran outside and pushed me to the ground. She layed into me pretty bad (constant slapping), it took the neighbours wife to pull her off me. Many a time when I mucked-up as a kid mum would say "wait till your dad comes home". He would come, remove the belt from his pants, and hunt me down for a good hiding. Being hit with a belt hurts, but I had mates who got hit with electrical cords. Was pretty much the norm back then.

I am scared for life?

:unsure

But I got away with heaps they never knew about. :lol

• Administrators
When I was a kid I threw a toy metal police car (the size of a tonka truck) through my neighbours front window. My mother ran outside and pushed me to the ground. She layed into me pretty bad (constant slapping), it took the neighbours wife to pull her off me. Many a time when I mucked-up as a kid mum would say "wait till your dad comes home". He would come, remove the belt from his pants, and hunt me down for a good hiding. Being hit with a belt hurts, but I had mates who got hit with electrical cords. Was pretty much the norm back then.

I am scared for life?

My father-in-law has scars on the back of his leg where his father beat him with a piece of fencing wire. Luckily he was smart enough to realise that this was excessive, and was far less agro when the missus needed disciplin as a kid. You can break that cycle if you really want to.

Dave.

• Administrators

I am scared for life?

:o

Brad

I used to get the wooden spoon until one day I picked up the spoon and broke it over my mums wrist, I dont rememeber it but thats what I was told, from then my mum moved up to the riding crop on the legs :)

One guy I worked with a few years ago was in his 60's an he was having problems with scars on his neck which he got as a kid, his dad used to hit him around the neck with a whip, pretty nasty stuff

dont know if dave has kids but if i was one of his kids i wouldnt be upto no good with his swords and mrs furballs collection of pointy hurty things

had a mates dad bring out the 12 guage a few times.

one time at a 21st no one would listen so 2 shots later they did. funny thing was 1 bloke shit him self got in his HSV reversed over a tree and took off :lol