Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

fishtales reel alignment/other

Mr Pubstuff

Question

hi all,

the fishtales i got last week seems to have developed a problem with the reel, in that it now doesnt align properly to the ramp (so the balls dont go straight in to the hole) and it also seems to not be kicking them out (it isnt at my place, so im not sure if this is an alignment issue or something else yet, but im going this arvo to check it out). when i replaced the post just below/next to the reel, i did move the reel around slightly, so im not sure if this is the issue but it was playing ok after repair. of course as it isnt releasing the ball, the multiball doesnt work either im told.

is this a common problem on this machine for this issue and if so, whats the scoop in fixing it please?

thanks in advance and my apologies for not having the issue 100% described, but i did want to try and have some info before i went there and tackled it rather than going back and forward between here and there.:redface

15 answers to this question

Sum1 correct me if I am wrong but it I dont think it the reel needs to be aligned. :unsure

Your issue is prob just dirty optos, clean them up to start with. How does the belt look (just looks like a normal pinball rubber), it maybe flogged and need replacing as well.

gday fella

the belt/ring isnt flash, but seems to be grabbing the reels okm so im not sure this is the issue, but i will check the opto's and clean them up and see what happens and also order a new belt with a heap of other stuff we need to buy for mine and my bro in laws machines (keep rising aussie dollar ... saving us money every day!)

if anyone else has any further input, please share :cool:

Actually doing a switch test could eliminate a fault with the catapult (the thing that fires the balls back onto the PF from the reel). When I got my FT one of the wires to the switch under the catapult wasnt soldered well enough. Activate that switch manually in a switch edges test as well.

I had the same thing on a fishtales i was working on... It turned out that i had forgot to plug the switch in on the ramp that leads to the reel. I would test the switch on the ramp the leads to the reel and check all switches on that line. Check for a wire off etc

A mate of mine has a FT with exactly the same problem and he's really scratching his head as all the optos register on the reel test but it stops with the hole misaligned. We've had a comparison of his opto function with mine and all seems ok. What role does the switch prior to the reel play in the function as this may well be the problem???:unsure

ditto, the test result is ok with nothing reporting bad (altho both me and lee were tanked which isnt a good time to diagnose) so tomorrow we will pull the whole assembly to bits and see if a good clean and reassembly makes it sweet again. he has an issue on the right hand drop on his TAF so it will be a day of beers and fixes. lucky we both arranged a day off after bathurst day ...... if leee gives me some pics from the day we will see me as batman and lee as rambo (it was a fancy dress bathurst pissup day hehe)

It wouldnt know a ball was loaded without that switch.
Not sure but Pubstuffs pin and the one I was talking about have the problem of the reel holes won't line up with the delivery chute from the casters clubhouse so when the VUK fires the ball up & over to the reel the reel hole isn't centered to accept the ball so you get a ball held up against the face of the reel. I tend to think it's an opto related problem which takes note of where the reel is in rotation. Also note that that the interuptters on the reel have one big tooth which acts as a reference point for rotation (whereabouts in the 360 degree it is). A bit like the tranducer on a modern car engine crank/cam that tells where #1 cyl is coming around to TDC so the other Cyls. can fall into line.

Yep Greg gotta agree I reckon it has to be an opto problem as well as I think( could be wrong-disclaimer) all the switch does is confirm that the ball fired by the VUK has been delivered to the reel (in case of a VUK failure or jam).My mates reel works fine and lines up in test mode but won't in general game play. Could be an intersting chase this one as it seems a few people have the same issue.:unsure

Fishtales reel

Hi Guys had the same problem years ago. Check the reel that slides onto the shaft, what tends to happen, the reel slips and this is caused by either the tension is too slack on the rubber belt itself (sometimes people substitue a rubber ring and not the proper belt) or 2. the metal shaft (semi-circular) that the plastic reel slides into has caused wear onto the plastic keyway of the reel itself, you may be able to jam something into the shaft like another sliver of metal or plastic. If all your switches and opto's have tested out OK then I am 95% this is your problem. This problem only seems to show itself up when one or more balls are in the reel, making it heavier for the reel to rotate. It is common especially now the game is geeting much older.

Thx Hotty

hey all, after a close inspection tonite, the edge of the reel was intermittently touching the plastic slingshot cover right next to it. this became apparent to look for when the reel actually jammed at one point as we could hear the motor turning, but the reel didnt. so the plastic was adjusted away (and trimmed ever so slightly) and that resolved that issue.

we thought all was fine so played a few games and sometimes the 3rd ball didnt want to eject on every occasion (sometimes did, sometimes didnt, but it didnt appear to be an alignment issue like before as it seemed to line up ok every time). so it would often spit out just 2 balls on multiball and once they had gone, it looked for an extra ball and the reel would turn a few times and out it come every time. this may be an opto problem perhaps or something else? i didnt get to clean them tonite as time got away from us fixing some issues on another pinny there.

anyway i checked the lower pulley and the belt (well it looks like a rubber ring and could have been tighter, but wasnt slipping) and the lower pulley is like hotty described, worn a bit and a fair bit of play in it but im not sure this is why the 3rd ball doesnt always eject.

i think i may need to order a new belt and lower pulley if i cant fix it somehow anyway (and a new topper that my bro in law dropped and broke as we were fixing a broken solder joint on the fish coil...), but i would appreciate any further input.

Well my mates FT reel is now sorted. The belt needed replacing and during the course both sets of optos were removed? and put back ass about. I think (could be wrong-official disclaimer) but either the transmitter or the receiver either sends/receives the wrong signal to the cpu. Looking under my FT confirmed it and me mates game is hunky dory.:)