Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sydney

• Administrators
I actually think that, considering the population of Sydney, the public transport is probably the best in Australia.

Being a sydney boy and living in brisbane for the last 4 years I'd have to disagree. I have no idea what it's like in the other capital cities but Brisbane's public transport craps all over Sydney's. I always chuckle when the locals bag the buses and trains as I came from far far worse =(

Brad

Hey guys, where would be the best place to park a car and catch a train to the Airport (mascot) I need something within walking distance to a train station that is free / cheap for over for 4 hours. (wife is flying to the U.S for 6 weeks and saving $60 in airport parking means more arcade goodies she can bring back in her suitcase :D )

public transport- if you aren't in a rush, it's not bad ;)

every one in sydney is in a rush :D

hmm new rail timetable is coming - and it is STUPID. I live on the same line as where I work, used to be express and all stops that would stop at my home, and at work.

New timetable, I have to get out and change trains, even though they are on the same line :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Stupid stupid stupid. All because a computer says that is an optimised timetable. A bit of human common sense would figure out that is not right at all.

gah

• Super Moderator
Hey guys, where would be the best place to park a car and catch a train to the Airport (mascot) I need something within walking distance to a train station that is free / cheap for over for 4 hours. (wife is flying to the U.S for 6 weeks and saving $60 in airport parking means more arcade goodies she can bring back in her suitcase :D )

A return train ticket from Central to the airport is about $25.40 each adult return.. Besides, no such thing as free parking in Sydney, until of course, you hit the 'burbs.

http://www.cityrail.info/tickets/fare_calculator.htm

Being a sydney boy and living in brisbane for the last 4 years I'd have to disagree. I have no idea what it's like in the other capital cities but Brisbane's public transport craps all over Sydney's. I always chuckle when the locals bag the buses and trains as I came from far far worse =(

Brad

I did qualify my post with "...considering the population of Sydney..."

Think about it...

Sydney: 4,400,000 people

Brisbane: 1,900,000 people

Sydney's public transport network is very expansive, with very regular services. I've never had to wait at Sydney domestic airport's train station for 45 minutes before, which is more than I can say about Brisbane. :D

• Administrators

Think about it...

Sydney's public transport network is very expansive, with very regular services. I've never had to wait at Sydney domestic airport's train station for 45 minutes before, which is more than I can say about Brisbane. :D

Ahh yes the great white elephant that is the airport station in Sydney. I used it the other week and it was top notch.

cheers,

Brad

• Administrators
Holy fuck! mascot to the international terminal is $25 return, I'll just bend over at the airport.

Yep, thats what I thought. I was glad work picked up the tab.....damn thieves.

Brad

Think about it...

Ah yes. But what i'm thinking of is the way Sydney over the decades seems to have let public transport slide when most other major cities realise you need to have LESS cars in the city and MORE people using public transport. The biggest example i guess is how they ripped up the tram network and made it a dirty word. Brisbane did too, but now they have the busways and honestly, they are pretty awesome and very open to adding heaps more services. Nothing is perfect, for instance, in rush hour there aren't enough buses available for the busways. But they do seem to being trying, unlike Sydney...

I should add that i've used public transport in other large cities around the world. I think where Australia dropped the ball in general was in the late 19th century when underground rail was all the rage. undergrounds are still really useful now, 100 years later. Apparently there were plans for underground in Sydney when they built the bridge, but that fell through...